Writing / Drawing On The Kneeboard

Devrim

Pilots in real life do that, right? They can draw something on the kneeboard, and even on the canopy glass?

I pass drawing on windshield for now. :) But in the future will be able to taking notes on kneeboard? I'd love to drawing on the checklist, for example.

Maybe we can "save" all drawings and use later again... :) :P

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I have never come across a real world paper map that can be scrolled! What we tend to do in the real world with maps is fold them up so the most useful area is available. Another method is to have a really really big kneeboard. What other sims do isn't really relevant as they tend to cheat and bend reality. I'd much sooner see realism.

Great idea to have a chinagraph pencil available however. Definitely like the OPs idea - the last poster - not so much. :music_whistling:

• ED Team

thread tidied up, please be respectful when posting

1.2 Forum members must treat others with respect and tolerance.

Back on topic

I would like to be able to take notes ingame, it would be a nice feature

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Oh. I think I missed the party...

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

The question remains, how would this be implemented? We all know mouse isn't the best drawing tool. I don't mean we would ever need to draw a Mona Lisa on the kneeboard, but circling items or drawing lines even relatively straight... nevermind writing something in a hurry can be quite tedious with a mouse. Writing with the keyboard seems OK, but that is about it.

Any ideas?

I do like the premise though.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I like the idea as well. However, drawing might be rather difficult to implement.

But especially for VR it would be nice to have some way to take notes during flight, since you cannot do that any more on a real piece of paper with the headset on.

For me a blank sheet on the kneeboard where I can type stuff using the keyboard would be fine as a first step.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I guess the ral answer would be to have a "drawing pad" purposefully made for this... same size as a real kneeboard, you'd draw with a pencil that could be wired to the kneeboard, and the picture would be replicated in the virtual cockpit... But that would require both the drawing accessories AND support from the sim...

Someday perhaps.

• 2 months later...

The "drawing pad" can be had cheap and is called a drawing tablet, connects to the computer and you can write on it. AS for having it inside DCS, I'm at a loss. It either needs to be an overlay or a PIP of a drawing board..

One can dream..

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

• 1 year later...
For those without a pad you could type on the kneeboard and just have a font that looks like hand writing....

If at least you can type in a white paper... usually you write, coordenates, and writing numbers wiith the numbers pad in any keyboard is really simple.

When someone is going to give you info, you open the paper, put your hand on the keyb and say...

"Colt 1, ready to copy"

Then you transribe

The "drawing pad" can be had cheap and is called a drawing tablet, connects to the computer and you can write on it. AS for having it inside DCS, I'm at a loss. It either needs to be an overlay or a PIP of a drawing board..

One can dream..

My apologies on the naming - I do own one myself, but those tend to be different in size to a proper kneeboard. Optimally you would have a leg-strapped tablet and the included pencil + the kneeboard as a physical 3D object in the correct position in the cockpit instead of the view-obstructing 2D window we have now.

Said 3D object could also in a pinch be operated withthe mouse and, say, clicking the left or right edge of the kneeboard would change the pages. No more keyboard and you can have the kneeboard in the cockpit all the time exactly like in a real cockpit.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Lol I was JUST thinking about using my wacom tablet for something like this. Def would be an awesome addition in the event I moved over to VR. That way I could write down coords, freq's and so on.

DCS Modules Owned:A-10C, FC3, Yak-52, F/A-18C, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-5E, M-2000C, L-39, Hawk T.1A, C-101EB/CC, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, BF-109K4, FW-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50, F-86, DCS:CA, WWII assets, F-14A/A+/B

DCS Terrains Owned: All

PLEASE MAKE UH-60L and AH-64D!!! :pilotfly:

• 5 months later...

Ok, I was just thinking this is a good idea and seems people have been requesting it for 3 years now. This would be a great idea especially now that we have JDAMs that can use coordinate entries. I know we can make our own images and insert them into missions, but this is something that really should be implemented into the mission editor.

So +1 from me.

For vr , there is this . Can also set up voice input...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229077

That ingame scratch pad should have always been an integral part of DCS it is the single most useful app that i run, having the ability to copy paste any info from any screen in DCS at any time and then throw it up in front of you is an absolute win.

You don't even need to type anything just highlight and copy paste:thumbup: