1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

You should update 2.2 to beta branch. Then when 2.5 beta comes out it will update to 2.5 by copying files from your 2.2 beta. It will still need to download what you don't have installed (1.5 caucus map and any aircraft).

I imagine after it is released in beta,2.5 that is, you can download a standalone 2.5 beta installer and go that route..say you wanted a fresh install. But the installer will copy files from previous versions if you already have them anyway.

I’m slightly confused and am not sure I understand how to do this or the relationship of open beta and open alpha. My understanding was that there are currently two discrete standalone DCS versions. Open Beta v1.5.8.x and Open Alpha v2.2.x. As I read it, only v1.5.8.x (which I do not have installed) will update through the auto updater. Version 2.2.x would only update once the release version of 2.5 is out.

Is there a beta branch of the open alpha that will get updated on Jan 31? My understanding is that there has never been a release version of v2.2 and I’m basically already in the beta branch as such.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow you guys that can download stuff at work are lucky. I stick a flash drive in my machine and security is at my desk within 5 minutes.

I acces remotely to my pc from work, i donwload from work but on my pc :)

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

For everyone that don't understand it yet: You should only have one version on your computer and that is the 1.5.8 release version. Please forget everything about beta and alfa versions and uninstall them, it is just to complex for you.

• Like 1

I’m slightly confused and am not sure I understand how to do this or the relationship of open beta and open alpha. My understanding was that there are currently two discrete standalone DCS versions. Open Beta v1.5.8.x and Open Alpha v2.2.x. As I read it, only v1.5.8.x (which I do not have installed) will update through the auto updater. Version 2.2.x would only update once the release version of 2.5 is out.

Is there a beta branch of the open alpha that will get updated on Jan 31? My understanding is that there has never been a release version of v2.2 and I’m basically already in the beta branch as such.

Yup I just checked again. It seems like you're best course of action, if you don't want to install 1.5.8 beta, is to wait until 2.5 goes into release mode. At that point you would download the stand alone 2.5 installer, it will copy files from 2.2 Alpha which you have installed and then it will download the caucus map and your aircraft for the caucus map if you have any on your account.

I have both 1.5.8 beta and 2.2 open alpha installed on separate hard drives. I'm going to move them this weekend to another SSD and that way when the 2.5 beta comes I'll have it install over there, giving me a full 1tb for 2.5.

Edit: sorry my last post said 2.2 beta..got confused myself. There is no beta for 2.2 it's always been open alpha.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I think the person posting the question is like me and looking for a quantitative answer of "x" GB more...

I'm running out of disk space and trying to decide what to do once I go from 2.2 to 2.5.

To give you an idea..my 2.2 alpha installed on another SSD right now takes up 62gb. That's with the A10, f5, mirage, viggen, and harrier, nttr map.

My 1.5 install is about 50gb with the same aircraft and some campaigns like the maple flag basic and advanced flight for the A10, mirage campaign,etc.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Wait, what? We have to wait another 2 weeks for stable release? I've been getting hyped since I heard the 2.5 release date, and now I hear 2.5 is still a beta. FFS stop using the words "release" and "out" when it's still in testing phase. That's not what out means.

They do this every time... HEY GUYS NEW PLANE IS OUT*

*in early access. Expect another 6 months until feature complete

I'm sorry, but the last dozen aircraft pre-purchase announcements specifically say Early Access.

No where is it stated that they are released in Early Access as Feature Complete.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

If there is a prompt to delete 2.2, then why not have an option to move 2.2 files during 2.5 update rather than copy them. That would save space required for install.

c0ff said here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3364720&postcount=60

If you selected to keep 2.2, the files will be copied (actually, hardlinked).

As I understand it, this means that the file content will not be copied, just the directory entry. So no double space needed.

c0ff said here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3364720&postcount=60

As I understand it, this means that the file content will not be copied, just the directory entry. So no double space needed.

True, provided that 2.2 is kept along with 2.5. I wasn't aware of that when I posted earlier, glad you posted that :)

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Antivirus, Malware Software & Windows Firewall Exclusions REMINDER

After all done with big update to DCS 2.5 don't forget to redo paths for

Antivirus, Malware Software & Windows Firewall Exclusions for folders, files and processes to be excluded. Also make sure to disable them during the update..Gary

Wait, looks like the transition branch adjustment has been edited in the OP, the picture seems different, now 2.2 will also be updated to 2.5 and not deleted ... right ?

For everyone that don't understand it yet: You should only have one version on your computer and that is the 1.5.8 release version. Please forget everything about beta and alfa versions and uninstall them, it is just to complex for you.

Exactly. First Release would be what ... couple of months, after all, it's not that much.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Wait, looks like the transition branch adjustment has been edited in the OP, the picture seems different, now 2.2 will also be updated to 2.5 and not deleted ... right ?

Exactly. First Release would be what ... couple of months, after all, it's not that much.

That’s how I read it. Works much better for 2.2 users now imo

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Perhaps I can get an answer this time....Do I have to have 1.58 or 2.xxxx or some older version? I will have nothing on the new machine...nothing but the OS. So I have to have an older version so when 2.5 loads it can find what it needs to upgrade.

I just want to load the new 2.5 and all the modules I have purchased and never activated.

Laz

Perhaps I can get an answer this time....Do I have to have 1.58 or 2.xxxx or some older version? I will have nothing on the new machine...nothing but the OS. So I have to have an older version so when 2.5 loads it can find what it needs to upgrade.

I just want to load the new 2.5 and all the modules I have purchased and never activated.

Laz

No you don't have to have any other version. It speeds it up if you do because it won't have to download a ton of info.

Laz

You have to have 1.5 OB or you will have to wait another day for the standalone installer.

Source: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3368158&postcount=128

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

Obviously many here haven't read USSR Rik's post properly or at all. Some questions are totally superfluous and you can sense some frustration or disappointment in a good number of various comments.

Thanks, ED! Goody gumdrops...

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Good grief, I come to this thread and see utter chaos. You folks are making this sound much more complicated than it really is.

If you have a version of the game, ANY version, it will eventually update to 2.5, the only thing that is different is which one gets it first. So... you don't need to do ANYTHING. Sit back and wait for the prompt.

If you have multiple versions of the game.... DO NOTHING. It will do its thing when the time comes in the most efficient manner. When it's done, keep 2.5 and delete the others. If for some reason you want to keep 1.5, it will be made available as a separate download at a future date, but will no longer be supported.

Do you see the common thread in both cases? DO NOTHING. It's really simple. WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE UPDATE. Then you can worry about which installs you want to keep.

Extremely. Simple. Stop. Over. Complicating. Things.

You're all thinking... WAAAAAY too much. It's 2018, this stuff is mostly automated ;)

ON THAT NOTE, I'm pleased to see with my current setup all I have to do is sit back, smoke a cigar, and watch the madness while bemusedly muttering "You poor bastards..."

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

You have to have 1.5 OB or you will have to wait another day for the standalone installer.

Source: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3368158&postcount=128

Ah yup forgot about the official installer..won't be here until later. So yea if anyone wants 2.5 early they will have to get 1.5.8 beta first.

I'm just hoping some of the campaign bugs I've come across are fixed in 2.5..at least according to what the devs said about preparing their misisons for 2.5.

At the end it's really simple and automated.. The new picture of the transition to DCS 2.5 (in the page 1) tell us everything.

Even some guys have explained this very well.

- DCS 1.5.8 Beta will be updated to DCS 2.5 Beta. This will be done 31/01. This will be the BETA version.

- DCS 1.5.8 Release will be updated to DCS 2.5 a week later or few days more. This will be the standard o stable version.

- Both will use the data of DCS 2.2.0 to copy files avoiding to download them again. Done this the DCS 2.2.0 can be deleted.

- If someone want to use again DCS 1.5.8 this is possible with the 1.5.8 Final version.This last is optional.

So we'll have both DCS 2.5 Stable and DCS 2.5 Beta. At this point we have only to fly in the new wonderfull DCS World... and stay tuned for the incoming F/A-18 and Strait Of Hormuz terrain. :thumbup:

I think only who change some pieces of PC (SSD - GPU) have to check the right instruction to manage licences of modules.

Edited by Joker69°

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

The original post explained it quite clearly.

1.5 Beta —-> 2.5 Beta First

1.5 Release —-> 2.5 Release Second

2.2 Alpha —-> 2.5 Release Last

Updates will copy files from existing installations (1.5 / 2.2) to save on download requirements...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

i shall not buy a new SSD.. i shall not buy a new SSD... I shall not....

I shall not, either. I shall not, either. What the hell? who put this 500GB SSD on my desk? Geez, maybe I should install it in my game computer?

So, now I have a 120GB, a 250GB, and now a 500GB. (All in SATA, though. My mobo won't accept the new PCIe drives. :cry:

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...