Weather question

Cab

Does anyone know why two people can be flying in formation on a multiplayer server with each experiencing drastically different weather? I was flying with a friend, and the sky was unlimited visibility around me but from his cockpit he was flying IFR in the clouds.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I don’t have time to do a detailed search to find a thread to back this up, but my understanding is that DCS doesn’t propagate the location of individual clouds across a server — so in any condition other than a solid 8/8 overcast or severe clear there is no expectation that the cloud you see in MP exists in that same location for any other client.

Sniped by Kayos...

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

issues with cloud puffs are following:

1) they all completely disappear for the rest of the mission if you switch camera to a unit 70 miles away and then back

2) if you fly away far enough, you will fly outside of the area with clouds, further having only clear sky

3) clouds are never synchronized over network, all players see different clouds

so either have completely clear sky or fully covered sky (cloud level 9-10 i think). these issues have never been fixed for years and there is no indication devs even intend to fix them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

Try using dynamic weather, that one appears to be synced in MP.

this is correct. unfortuantely dynamic weather comes with it's own bunch of problems. last time i checked that would be water flickering in some specific conditions, potential for stuttering and generally the difficulty to set up decently realistic weather to begin with...

Dynamic weather is NOT synced in multiplayer. Weather is client generated. Dynamic weather WILL span the whole map where as the simple weather (clouds at least) only fill out an area around were that client spawns is at.

Back to dynamic weather. When each client connects into the mission, they get the settings for the dynamic weather as set for the beginning of the mission, regardless of how long the mission has already ran.

People that have been on a server with dynamic weather for hours will see different weather than somebody that just logged in. If the people that have been on a while log out and come back in, they will see the weather has "refreshed" back to the weather systems "start".

They really need to make it so that the weather is generated by the server and then sent out. They had promised new weather long ago, I hope it is still in the works.