Stock fan, Liquid Cooling or Air Heatsink?

I vote for top notch Dual Fan Heat-sinks!

I use to think "Water Cooling" was the way to go now I don't anymore for many reasons. One being that there is a great push to reduce heat and power in hardware design.

So just get a Full Tower Case with a top notch Dual Fan Heat-sink it will last for the life of the machine and you might even use it for the next build.

All you need to do every once in a while is open the case up and vacuum inside to clear all the dust, takes less than 5 minutes to do the job and no need for maintenance, also vacuum the vents and inside case and other areas as per your Case manual.

Thermaltake is reliable also Noctau is really good as well.

Frio ─ The First Overclocking Cooler of Thermaltake :thumbup:

Link:- http://www.thermaltake.com.au/Cooler/Air_Cooler_/Frio/C_00001600/Frio/design.htm

Noctua NH-D9L

Link:- http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d9l

Another thing is I have found visiting peoples homes is that they place their PC systems pretty much near the floor or ceiling heater vents.... :mad: "HOT"! :cry:

Don't do that heat is what kills the PC's they need to breath in cool air and circulate that around and out the front or however you setup your fans, which should be in a circular in and out pattern.

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

The best (air) are Prolimatech, Thermalright and Noctua. The Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme was the king for a long period of time (Tom's Hardware's reference). The Scythe are cheaper ($$). Only a twin 140mm water system (with the noise) can beat them.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

• 2 weeks later...
I use to think "Water Cooling" was the way to go now I don't anymore for many reasons. (snip)

Interesting.

(1) What vacuum do you use/recommend to clean inside the computer and fans? I've heard using vacuums can be dangerous because of static discharge? But would love to have one because my place gets really dusty!

(2) This indicates that the best air cooling is almost as good as the best AIO water cooling, but the air cooling is quieter: http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/3

(3) I currently use an EVO Hyper 212 cooler ... this, I guess, is not in the same "class" as the Noctua? Because I certainly cannot run the Prime large FFT without temps going into the 90's!

Interesting.

(1) What vacuum do you use/recommend to clean inside the computer and fans? I've heard using vacuums can be dangerous because of static discharge? But would love to have one because my place gets really dusty!

(2) This indicates that the best air cooling is almost as good as the best AIO water cooling, but the air cooling is quieter: http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/3

(3) I currently use an EVO Hyper 212 cooler ... this, I guess, is not in the same "class" as the Noctua? Because I certainly cannot run the Prime large FFT without temps going into the 90's!

1./ Well there are heaps of online guides on how to here:- https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+clean+inside+a+computer+youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=gRMJWfetNobr8wf4uonQBA

I use just a basic home vacuum and attachments. Follow safe procedure turn off PC and at wall switch ensure no power to MOBO so look for red or green light is off.

Also PSU must not be active turn off at rear of case disconnect.

Again the importance of a big or easy to work in case helps when doing this.

2./ Opinions and marketing will differ of course but many guys now use good Dual FAN Heat Sinks having great reduction in CPU Temps as I said there is a push in design to reduce heat. It gets complicated from there.

3./ Simple really just check different design specs if your looking for a HQ Heat sink I guess and maybe a large case as well to assist maximum air flow with 120mm Fans inside case in various places.

There is so much online on this stuff....... http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/finding-the-best-cpu-cooler-10-units-reviewed-and-tested.196104/page-2

but it aint all that hard best speak directly with the vendor tech sales people online or on phone for best solutions

But there is water cooling as option its all choice though.

All I'm saying I run several PC's at home on large Heatsinks all is good never had a problem.

:thumbup:

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Don't vacuum. Blow the dust out. Blowers produce for more pressure and are, therefore, more effective. This is especially true for areas like heat sink fins found on video cards and CPU coolers.

Also, disconnect all fans from the motherboard, or block them from spinning if it is not possible to disconnect them (i.e. video card fans).

This is the right tool for the job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ZOAW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41dLbpvCr8L.jpg

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah, I use to do that spending money on more crap until I just started using a normal vacuum cleaner.

I also purchased a small vacuum kit like this....... http://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/F~YAAOSwB-1Y27ir/s-l225.jpg

Using air spray...... "LINK"

Now can't be bothered just with love and care I do a fairly good job just with vacuum all is good :thumbup:

Choices................... I guess............

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Yeah, I use to do that spending money on more crap until I just started using a normal vacuum cleaner.

That little blower will probably last another fifteen years (it's five or six years old already) and if I didn't use that I would be carrying the towers out to the workshop and using the air compressor. The one pictured is better than the air compressor though since there is no risk of moisture and it is more portable.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

1./ Well there are heaps of online guides on how to here:- https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+clean+inside+a+computer+youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=gRMJWfetNobr8wf4uonQBA

I use just a basic home vacuum and attachments. Follow safe procedure turn off PC and at wall switch ensure no power to MOBO so look for red or green light is off.

Also PSU must not be active turn off at rear of case disconnect.

Again the importance of a big or easy to work in case helps when doing this.

2./ Opinions and marketing will differ of course but many guys now use good Dual FAN Heat Sinks having great reduction in CPU Temps as I said there is a push in design to reduce heat. It gets complicated from there.

3./ Simple really just check different design specs if your looking for a HQ Heat sink I guess and maybe a large case as well to assist maximum air flow with 120mm Fans inside case in various places.

There is so much online on this stuff....... http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/finding-the-best-cpu-cooler-10-units-reviewed-and-tested.196104/page-2

but it aint all that hard best speak directly with the vendor tech sales people online or on phone for best solutions

But there is water cooling as option its all choice though.

All I'm saying I run several PC's at home on large Heatsinks all is good never had a problem.

:thumbup:

Thanks!

I purposely got myself a big case, a Corsair 708T, so I hope space is not an issue.

I was actually considering a Noctua nh-d15s, till I got swayed by the all-in-one water cooler idea, like the Corsair Hydro or Kraken. Will revisit the Noctua in my considerations!

Don't vacuum. Blow the dust out. Blowers produce for more pressure and are, therefore, more effective. This is especially true for areas like heat sink fins found on video cards and CPU coolers.

Also, disconnect all fans from the motherboard, or block them from spinning if it is not possible to disconnect them (i.e. video card fans).

This is the right tool for the job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ZOAW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41dLbpvCr8L.jpg

Thanks! I guess the air is filtered, so that the air it blows is not dusty? We have two dogs, four cats, a baby, and live in an old country house. "Dust" doesn't even begin to describe the air -- there is regular dust, outside dust, field dust, pet dander, human dander, etc. etc. etc. I try to keep the computer room a little isolated, but you know how it goes ... :( I'm actually considering setting up an air filter like this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N9CPQK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) in the room just to help a little bit. The case's filters have done a decent job --- after 1 year there is only light coating of dust on the inside --- but the intake fans have thick almost sticky smear of dust that took me long time to wipe off with microfibre and alcohol. I did not want to take said microfiber and alcohol to the motherboard and other interior surfaces, though, hence consideration of mechanical assistance!

Please, block the fans. A fan is made to run at his speed, not play music for fun. You will burn the bearings.

DUSTER.jpg

We have two dogs, four cats, a baby, and live in an old country house. "Dust" doesn't even begin to describe the air

I'm worst than that.... I'm single. :smilewink:

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

For 30-50 € you can buy a small air compressor that will outrun ANY spraycan over time.

If you tab the BIG bottle ( for industrial use, 2-3 foot tall, Airgun, welding..etc.. ) you will have ice on any component in a matter of seconds, seen that, done that by mistake.

*edit:

see my compressor, with valve for de-oiling/de-grease and pressure valve in 1 piece.

IMG_1347.thumb.JPG.53e56708be44f278389ec43475fb4978.JPG

IMG_1348.thumb.JPG.3312a808a830129f8637382c4350d3d9.JPG

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks! I guess the air is filtered, so that the air it blows is not dusty? We have two dogs, four cats, a baby, and live in an old country house. "Dust" doesn't even begin to describe the air -- there is regular dust, outside dust, field dust, pet dander, human dander, etc. etc. etc. I try to keep the computer room a little isolated, but you know how it goes ... :( I'm actually considering setting up an air filter like this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N9CPQK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) in the room just to help a little bit. The case's filters have done a decent job --- after 1 year there is only light coating of dust on the inside --- but the intake fans have thick almost sticky smear of dust that took me long time to wipe off with microfibre and alcohol. I did not want to take said microfiber and alcohol to the motherboard and other interior surfaces, though, hence consideration of mechanical assistance!

Tip:

Ask your wife for some lady stockings ( hope that term is right ) and pull them over your intakes, that helps a lot and they come cheap :)

A friend of mine did that in his wood shop to protect the PC from sanding and milling dust, works very very good..and looks great ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Tip:

Ask your wife for some lady stockings ( hope that term is right ) and pull them over your intakes, that helps a lot and they come cheap :)

A friend of mine did that in his wood shop to protect the PC from sanding and milling dust, works very very good..and looks great ;)

BRILLIANT idea!

Please, block the fans. A fan is made to run at his speed, not play music for fun. You will burn the bearings.

I was talking about keeping the fans from spinning due to the air being blown through them while there is no power. You can't damage the fans in that way. Letting them spin free, while blowing them out, can generate current and possibly damage something. This is not likely but better safe than sorry.

OH HECK YES cichlidfan...I forgot !!

DO NOT REV THE FAN BLADES TO 50krpm with the air gun !!!!!!!!!!!

Fixate them with a finger or pencil ( very gentle ! ) while you aim the "GUN" at them.

BRILLIANT idea!

Idea is from one of my best friends, R.I.P.

I use water cooling in both my media pc and my gaming rig

Corsair H50 and a corsair H80 , they have both been rocking strong for 5+ years now without issue, my i5 is overclocked from 3.3Ghz to 4.4Ghz and it

stay pretty cool under the H80

Still rockin Windows 7 64bit

I use plastic clips to keep my fans from spinning.

Here is a video card ready to be blown out. The clips keep the fans still and leave my hands free.

2017-05-03%2011.05.17_zpsqkdeh686.jpg

This is the filter on the bottom of my blower. Yes it needs to be cleaned. It just pulls out and can be flushed with water.

2017-05-03%2011.05.36_zpsgonnd5ga.jpg

One advantage to living in Colorado is the low humidity. The dust doesn't cake up and is easy to blow off.

Yep. That is an advantage that I don't have here in Virginia. :)

The worst you can do, in regards of dust and stickyness, is to have such "air aromatizers" in every room.

I have serviced and cleaned hundreds of PC's and those were the worst, hands down.

A PC from a hardcore smoker is nothing compared to the filthy gum that sticks to fins

and just everywhere when you use those gadgets throughout your home.

The heavy tone of the scent which stays longest in the air is also the longest molecule ( heaviest too, as in their name ) and really sticks to any surface it settles down on, gluing any dust that comes right onto it...what a NICE gum ! Air pressure cleaning won't help, the fins will remain dark-oily amber coloured and sticky...alcohol or special cleaner cans are the only option.

Most of the time I had these were with US mil families overseas stationed here. Germans luckily dont use those "stinkers" that much and not in such an extent if they use them.

When you can hardly breath when you walk in the door you know what the 3-year old PC will look like inside...GUM

The worst you can do, in regards of dust and stickyness, is to have such "air aromatizers" in every room.

I have serviced and cleaned hundreds of PC's and those were the worst, hands down.

A PC from a hardcore smoker is nothing compared to the filthy gum that sticks to fins

The heavy tone of the scent which stays longest in the air is also the longest molecule ( heaviest too, as in their name ) and really sticks to any surface it settles down on, gluing any dust that comes right onto it...what a NICE gum ! Air pressure cleaning won't help, the fins will remain dark-oily amber coloured and sticky...alcohol or special cleaner cans are the only option.

Most of the time I had these were with US mil families overseas stationed here. Germans luckily dont use those "stinkers" that much and not in such an extent if they use them.

When you can hardly breath when you walk in the door you know what the 3-year old PC will look like inside...GUM

Ah, good to know! We don't use any of that, though in my college days incense was popular in a few of the places we lived at. Which at least smelled better!

...... Once had one come in ... from an office in a quarry , entire inside coated with about 10 - 15mm of heavy dust was awefull

And yeah smokers ones are terrible to work on , sticky smelly crap over everthing

Still rockin Windows 7 64bit