Getting real tired of extreme FOVs in different modules - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #21
mkiii

Reputation power: 5
mkiii is on a distinguished road

No, not sanctimonious, I'll leave that to the preachers and the converted. I'm just frustrated that I can't get across the simple facts of my particular problem: I don't know where you think I was saying that I was better than ANYONE, and apologise if thats what you took it to mean. This is a forum where discussion takes place, and I'm too old to care if people get upset when I disagree.

A: If I need a 140 degree FOV, (not to zoom, not for any advantage, since I'm not using it online anyway), but to just get the widescreen forward view looking close to how it does on a single screen.

B: Using a slider on the throttle as zoom lever, I wand fwd to be Min FOV, Middle around 140 degrees, and back to whatever the Max FOV is set to. Currently, as I explained, to get 140 somewhere near the middle, and not have silly wide angles like 170+ at the Max end, then the Min end has to be at some not ideal fov, giving less "zoom", to keep 140 near the middle.

C: The reason for keeping normal FOF near the middle of the range? The slider is more stable in the middle and at eaither end, anywhere else, and wobbles creep in.

Your *only* & *need* points are exactly what I am having to do, so I can't see why you are arguing against it. I clearly don't think everyone has the same setup as myself, and If I use the defaults on ly single screen laptop then they are perfectly fine as you describe out of the box.

As long as people say they are happy with the current setup here, then it seems to me to be less likely that any adjustments will make it into the GUI. Why bother adding features that no one wants after all?

PS. Looking at your rig, which seem to be pretty nice, I notice that your main screen aspect ratio looks like the key to why you are more satisfied. I'm using 5760x1080 on the main screen, and I think that is where the problem arises. The sim just doesn't liike things too wide and shallow. If I could justify the expense, then clearly 5760x1280 would make life easier.

Last edited by mkiii; 04-22-2017 at 01:17 PM.
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #22
Trubshaw
Campaign Testers

Reputation power: 7
Trubshaw is a jewel in the roughTrubshaw is a jewel in the roughTrubshaw is a jewel in the roughTrubshaw is a jewel in the roughTrubshaw is a jewel in the roughTrubshaw is a jewel in the rough

This is exactly the issue I have problems with. 3x 27inch monitors 5760x1280 and Nvidia surround. modules the FOV is just right for me: eg. the F5E others I have edited lua files in the past eg: Mig 21

However, online server integrity checks, get me kicked from joining. So I have set up a 'vanilla' install to fly online.

The Mil 8's slider is the way forward. All modules should have one. Especially now with so many different types on monitors.

Cheers for the suggestions I will try a curve. BTW the are many times I cannot see targets while in the cockpit view but F2 to just behind your plane and you find them easily. Deezle do you find this?

The two screen shots below clearly show the problem. Inside the incoming plane is almost invisible. From the outside it is a formed graphic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside cockpit.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	161103   Click image for larger version

Name:	outside.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	161104  

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

Last edited by Trubshaw; 04-22-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Trubshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #23
mkiii

Reputation power: 5
mkiii is on a distinguished road

The Magnification system seems to be a bit of a bone of contention atm for online players especially, considering the differences it shows between different screen resolutions, and other threads have argued the toss over this at great length. ATM I can't see anything much beyond half a mile, in the air or on the ground, even with enlargement set to max, so there is obviously still something wrong with either my setup or the enlargement system in general. Just tried the SU25T Target practice Quickstart mission and was unable to see the massed targets on the ground until I was well into launch range for a/g weapons.

Last edited by mkiii; 04-22-2017 at 02:51 PM.
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #24
Deezle

Reputation power: 6
Deezle is a jewel in the roughDeezle is a jewel in the roughDeezle is a jewel in the roughDeezle is a jewel in the roughDeezle is a jewel in the roughDeezle is a jewel in the roughDeezle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
No, not sanctimonious, I'll leave that to the preachers and the converted. I'm just frustrated that I can't get across the simple facts of my particular problem: I don't know where you think I was saying that I was better than ANYONE, and apologise if thats what you took it to mean. This is a forum where discussion takes place, and I'm too old to care if people get upset when I disagree.

A: If I need a 140 degree FOV, (not to zoom, not for any advantage, since I'm not using it online anyway), but to just get the widescreen forward view looking close to how it does on a single screen.

B: Using a slider on the throttle as zoom lever, I wand fwd to be Min FOV, Middle around 140 degrees, and back to whatever the Max FOV is set to. Currently, as I explained, to get 140 somewhere near the middle, and not have silly wide angles like 170+ at the Max end, then the Min end has to be at some not ideal fov, giving less "zoom", to keep 140 near the middle.

C: The reason for keeping normal FOF near the middle of the range? The slider is more stable in the middle and at eaither end, anywhere else, and wobbles creep in.

Your *only* & *need* points are exactly what I am having to do, so I can't see why you are arguing against it. I clearly don't think everyone has the same setup as myself, and If I use the defaults on ly single screen laptop then they are perfectly fine as you describe out of the box.

As long as people say they are happy with the current setup here, then it seems to me to be less likely that any adjustments will make it into the GUI. Why bother adding features that no one wants after all?

PS. Looking at your rig, which seem to be pretty nice, I notice that your main screen aspect ratio looks like the key to why you are more satisfied. I'm using 5760x1080 on the main screen, and I think that is where the problem arises. The sim just doesn't liike things too wide and shallow. If I could justify the expense, then clearly 5760x1280 would make life easier.
My previous setup was indeed 5760x1080, I know all about editing the view LUAs to get 160 degree max FOV.

I think you've completely misunderstood what the slider tuning does. It's adjusting your "default" FOV to where you want it in the middle of your axis's range, so you can quickly move your zoom lever back to it's center position and get it back to where you like it, so you don't get any jitter from the pot by not being in the center. Near as I can tell, that's exactly what you want, however you keep dismissing it.

The above picture of my rig is with 20min/160max FOV and my zoom slider in the middle detent, you can clearly see it's not zoomed in to 70 degree FOV. You don't *have* to limit your min FOV to get the middle of your zoom axis to an ideal FOV.

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" MFD monitor, TIR5, Rift CV1

My Pit Build, TM Warthog with 3" Extension, MFG Graphite Crosswind Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Custom Transducer

Last edited by Deezle; 04-22-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Deezle is offline   Reply With Quote