Which WWII fighter to buy ?

MisterVince

Hi !

I would like to buy a warbird along with the Normandy map, but I really can't make a decision. I hesitate between the Fw 190, the Bf 109, and the Spitfire, which one would you advise me to buy and why ?

Firstly I need to know something: is it possible to aim with German warbirds without a trackIR; is the gunsight visible from the centered cockpit view ? If not, asI don't use a trackIR, I would buy the Spitfire.

I really like the Spitfire because it's a beautiful aircraft, ut I really like the energy combat style of German warbirds.

If I would have to choose a German fighter, would you advise me the 109 et the 190, and why ?

Thank you in advance :)

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

i5-7300HQ@2,5GHz | nVidia GTX 1050 Ti | 8Gb RAM | 256GB SSD for Windows+DCS | Windows10

Modules:

Mirage2000C | AV-8B N/A | MiG-21Bis | F-5E | L-39 | Gazelle | FC3

Combined Arms | Supercarrier

NTTR | Persian Gulf

Are you new to WWII stuff? if yes, I'd recommend you the P-51D, which is the most friendly WWII aircraft by far.

The Mustang and the K-4 have a great gunsight, it's not difficult to aim, even though the Mustang is a bit easier. Now the Spitfire is really difficult in my opinion because it has a very long nose, if you don't have a trackIR, you will find it quite hard to aim and shoot at the enemies.

As for the 190, I can't really tell, but it seems to be similar to what we have in the 109.

Are you new to WWII stuff? if yes, I'd recommend you the P-51D, which is the most friendly WWII aircraft by far.

The Mustang and the K-4 have a great gunsight, it's not difficult to aim, even though the Mustang is a bit easier. Now the Spitfire is really difficult in my opinion because it has a very long nose, if you don't have a trackIR, you will find it quite hard to aim and shoot at the enemies.

As for the 190, I can't really tell, but it seems to be similar to what we have in the 109.

Yes Iam new (appart from IL2). I did not want to buy the Mustang because I already fly the TF-51, but I get your points and will consider it :)

Thanks a lot for the advice guys !

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

i5-7300HQ@2,5GHz | nVidia GTX 1050 Ti | 8Gb RAM | 256GB SSD for Windows+DCS | Windows10

Modules:

NTTR | Persian Gulf

...I really like the Spitfire because it's a beautiful aircraft, ut I really like the energy combat style of German warbirds....

Don't think too much about it. Just get the plane that for whatever reason you like the most in reality. All warbirds are great while Spit specificly due to being the latest one looks the best.

You haven't listed P-51 but I suggest to consider it if you would like a bird that has more air-to-ground capabilities and you're also interested in doing some ground pounding.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

You must get them all!

Each is awesome in its own way.

Wait for a sale. I bought most of the aircraft in DCS on sale.

Saves lots of money.

I was able to buy three for the price of one!

You will not regret it.

Except finding the time to learn and master each one..........

My life interferes with my flight time! :D

Or is it my life IS my flight time? :megalol:

Need to think about that......................

Maybe after this bomb run................;)

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Just get the plane that for whatever reason you like the most in reality.

Sounds good ! Thanks :)

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

Modules:

NTTR | Persian Gulf

Flying without TrackIR can be a very frustrating experience. I could never go back to that, but there are some people who make great use of the snapview features and fly and fight better than I ever could :)

All the WWII planes are fun IMO, however Im currently having a great time with the 109, as it's very hands on, feet on kind of plane. It's small and fast, devilishly fast and climbs wonderfully.

The Spit flies beautifully, it's a hard plane to master, especially on landings, though its more forgiving than the 109 on take offs. It's slow though, compared to the energy fighters. I like it though, as it is a pure dogfighter in the classical sense of the word.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Hi !

Firstly I need to know something: is it possible to aim with German warbirds without a trackIR; is the gunsight visible from the centered cockpit view ? If not, asI don't use a trackIR, I would buy the Spitfire.

I really like the Spitfire because it's a beautiful aircraft, ut I really like the energy combat style of German warbirds.

You can save your own default head position, it is in View Cockpit in setting and it is Save Cockpit Angels - RAlt + Num 0 (keys).

I`ve flown Dora since release with own head setting without any trouble

IMO Dora is the most versatile plane from your list. Needs the most patience during training but if is used correct way, is nearly invulnerable.

Dora is better plane for energy combat style than rest two planes you consider.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Thanks a lot everyone for sharing your experience :)

You give me a lot of things to take into account before making any final decision, and I really appreciate it ! :)

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

Modules:

NTTR | Persian Gulf

Hi Mistervince, I suggest you to get a copy of Pierre Clostermann 's book "le grand cirque" (edition 2000 if possible) and if you manage not to buy the spit after that.....

Also check this out if you haven't already:

Hi,

I second what NeF said! Read "Le Grand Cirque" and "Les carnets de René Mouchotte" - Flammarion, 1949.

Then buying the Spit will be the only real option. Mind you, it's:

- probably the hardest plane to taxi

- probably the hardest to land

- not a great energy fighter at all. Kind of like flying the Sopwith pup against late WWI planes. You can only outturn them ,but that you can do well.

I've flown sims forever, never had any problems in CloD or BoS, I had already mastered the Mustang and the 109, so when the Spit came I expected to manage fairly well. Well, cold hard reality hit me like a brick wall. So don't be discouraged, it's not an easy plane to fly!

Bonne chance!

Mind you, it's:

- probably the hardest plane to taxi

- probably the hardest to land

- not a great energy fighter at all. Kind of like flying the Sopwith pup against late WWI planes. You can only outturn them ,but that you can do well.

Well said. Get ready to see your pray outrun you and get set to tame a wild horse. But I find it so rewarding when you manage to do so.

have you tried the free TF-51? If you did and want an unstoppable, unbeatable by novice, sort of the iron hand WWII bird, get the Bayerischeflugzeugwerke -109. Patented by herr Wïlly Messerschmitt himself. Guaranteed kick-assery.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.