The Battle Simulator by The Fighter Collection

Raven68

It's more the other way round, the F-18C can be done, because ED has contracted a license to do so, and clearance from the military/manufacturer.

I remember a discussion about the AH-64 years ago when it was just DCS: A-10C. There was a notion like "won't happen"...

Doesn't rule it out forever, "Everything is subject to change", but I really wouldn't get my hopes high.

The negotiations for license, clearance and restrictions seems to be one of the major points always underestimated.

Yet everybody knows, if a bunch of lawyer's involved, it gets hairy. :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The negotiations for license, clearance and restrictions seems to be one of the major points always underestimated.

To me this is always the biggest obstacle to any module being done.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

While I generally agree with that, I think it depends on the module.

Some obscure WW2 plane might not be a problem licensing-wise, but you might have a hard time to get all the sources on everything.

For a ~1970s plane you might have access to everything you like, but possible licensing issues.

For a modern one you have the licensing issues, and also lack of access to material (just because it isn't there, or because of classified information).

And then of course more complexity means more work, which might be a factor if resources are limited.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. I also think one reason for people not understanding how licensing could be a problem are those who look at other, maybe older or less complex sims or games and say "hey, they got that license, so it cannot be that hard to get" but forget that a license and/or permission will become much harder to obtain if there is much simulation depth, like in DCSW.

While I generally agree with that, I think it depends on the module.

Some obscure WW2 plane might not be a problem licensing-wise, but you might have a hard time to get all the sources on everything.

For a ~1970s plane you might have access to everything you like, but possible licensing issues.

For a modern one you have the licensing issues, and also lack of access to material (just because it isn't there, or because of classified information).

And then of course more complexity means more work, which might be a factor if resources are limited.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. I also think one reason for people not understanding how licensing could be a problem are those who look at other, maybe older or less complex sims or games and say "hey, they got that license, so it cannot be that hard to get" but forget that a license and/or permission will become much harder to obtain if there is much simulation depth, like in DCSW.

This! Exactly this!

Good comment :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

We are getting increasingly offtopic here, but long story short, as far as I remember it because that was a long time ago:

The aircraft manufacturer's (Northrop Grumman IIRC, not Douglas?) trademarks were used without permission.

License fees were demanded and the whole thing went back and forth for a while between Ubisoft, Northrop Grumman and Maddox games.

If you want to know more just google "Oleg Maddox Northrop Grumman license", I don't think this is a topic for these forums.

I don't know if this is really that much off topic.

After all, the current status could very well be the consequence of exactly what was written above: a number of planes with different realism and simulation-depth scattered over a pretty long period of time.

Planes that have barely any regional or chronological connection.

And that again is quite the opposite of what the OP posted and - what I think - we all are wanting - possibly including ED themselves?

But looking at it from the outside, it remains a question wether this is due to legal issues or simply a matter of available budget, manpower and technology.

I guess we will have to see.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

• 2 months later...
I'm interested about the TBS.I emailed Matt Wagner but didn't received any reply yet if the TBS is still active.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.thebattlesim.com/

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Remember the Oleg Maddox - Douglas issue by WW2 aircrafts.

I'll be showing my (Old) age here to Young "Whipper Snappers ";) but I remember this very,very well.But it was perticularly about "Grumman" Aircraft.I believe Ubi-soft and in turn Oleg got sued because IL*2 Pacific Fighters came with a "Grumman Labeled" F4F WildCat and F6F HellCat,The Grumman Corporation is still in business and legally protected by Northrop Grumman Corp.

Patrick

mini.gif

• 2 months later...

Not sure if it's been posted before but I just found this on Facebook

Attention, Attention!! Video of last minute

Second professional video Alabama, EDGE technology based FortRucker

-------------------

We scenery of Alabama-USA in World DCS flight simulator based on EDGE, professional product Eagle Dynamics, includes facilities FortRucker military base

• 3 months later...

Hints of future / upcoming content from ED's other Product

A specific 1 engined lightweight multirole USAF fighter , a specfic rotary attack helicopter and some new maps, Potentially also coming to DCS i would think if its being mentioned on TBS. ( professional/ Military grade version of DCS):

"The Battle Simulator (TBS) is a networked, multi-purpose combat simulation environment that encompasses tactical and procedural training in a highly realistic environment. The simulation focus of TBS is on fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft that currently include the A-10A, A-10C, F-15C, Su-25, Su-25T, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29, L-39C/ZA, and the Ka-50. Other aircraft are in development such as the F-16, F/A-18, and AH-64. Additional aircraft can be developed based on client needs. TBS also includes the ability to direct land and naval forces and operate as a Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC) from a first person perspective. All of this is seamlessly integrated in a common network environment."

"TBS allows the import of multiple theater map environments. The Black Sea region map consists of the western Caucasus and includes much of Georgia. The Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR) has the largest contiguous air and ground space available for peacetime military operations in the free world. Other map environments are also in development that include the Strait of Hormuz, Afghanistan, Syria, and Crimea."

:music_whistling:

http://www.thebattlesim.com/

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

That's old news. They have been listed on the tbs site for years. And the fact that something may be coming to TBS does not necessarily mean that it will be coming to DCS. There could be all sorts of government- and manufacturer permissions and licenses preventing that. So there's no point in speculating.

Other upcoming modules include a pink pachyderm, and a porcine advanced flight modelling project.

Alternatively, we can instead rely on the 100% accurate announcements made by ED themselves regarding what is and isn't in the pipeline.