F-5 Flaps Bug - Stick Partially extended in Auto Mode

GafferDCS

I have encountered this on multiple occasions and I think this is a glitch/problem with the F-5

Take off with a centerline tank and set flaps to auto before takeoff. Retract gear and Verify auto flaps are working by changing AoA/Speed and watching them automatically go from full deployed to fully retracted. After an extended, low airspeed (250-275 knots or so) climb with flaps in Auto, I find that the flaps will stick in a partially extended setting. I can blow the tank off, speed up and dive and the flaps stay partially extended. Pull several G's and they stay in the same position. Moving flaps up/down manually works. But in "AUTO" they stick partially extended.

The flaps switch on the throttle is set to "Auto" and the flap lever on the lower left of the throttle is set to "thumb sw"

Thoughts?

AKA Gaffer

Try doing a negative G pushover, extend gear, or fly supersonic with them still in auto. If they stay down, then something's definitely wrong.

Any master cautions? There used to be a bug where the air data computer would die if you so much as sneezed on it, disabling the auto flap function.

Also, what does the flap indicator on the front panel say? Auto, or barberpole (stripes)?

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Try doing a negative G pushover, extend gear, or fly supersonic with them still in auto. If they stay down, then something's definitely wrong.

Any master cautions? There used to be a bug where the air data computer would die if you so much as sneezed on it, disabling the auto flap function.

Also, what does the flap indicator on the front panel say? Auto, or barberpole (stripes)?

Flap indicator reads "Auto". No master cautions or green lights on the panel. Is there a way to reset the ADC?

Yes I have tried speeding up and changing angle of attack. They just stay partially extended throughout the entire flight profile. 500 knots, light aircraft, 0 or -1 G, they stay partially extended. 250 knots, pull into an accelerated stall, same thing, they don't move.

I can get them to go full up or full down by putting the gear down, or setting the thumb switch to "up" etc... (and the flap indicator reacts normally while they move) But every time I put the switch back in "auto" they just move to the partially extended setting and stay there.

It always seems to happen after an extended climb with an external fuel tank. I get to altitude, level off and speed up.. and the flaps don't retract.

Edited by BOSUNTHEDOG

AKA Gaffer

Yeah, always fly with pitot heat on. Often times, I hear Hog drivers complaining about a false or inoperative stall warning because their AoA probe froze itself in place :D

somewhere left or right in the back, should be more or less labeled

I think you are referring to the circuit breaker? If the breaker was pulled, then the flaps likely wouldn't work at all. (They're electrically actuated)

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Yeah, always fly with pitot heat on. Often times, I hear Hog drivers complaining about a false or inoperative stall warning because their AoA probe froze itself in place :D

I think you are referring to the circuit breaker? If the breaker was pulled, then the flaps likely wouldn't work at all. (They're electrically actuated)

thanks, security pin was just the first word that came into my mind...

yes, maybe that could reset them? or if deactivated, they could get pushed up