Cyclic trim is bugged in the sa342?

keem85

Don't use it. In normal flight and hovering cyclic range is based on pressure on cyclic not its deflection. Just map cyclic trim to auto-hover. When you have helo in stable manual hover, press auto-hover.

Thanks. That's what I've been doing instead yes.. But, is it a bug?

I use to think it was bad implementation, until I learned a few things about Gazelle's younger bro, AS350 (A star single turbine), and TwinStar , that has Gazelle's rotor. In flight thats how it is in real life. Although both have normal deflection range, the amount is used for emergencies and aerobatics. In normal usage, in hovering, pilot applies pressure onto cyclic. Its kind of like in UH-1H, when you manually hover, bring the helo to stable hover slow flight, TRIM, and from then on use pressure on cyclic and pressure on collective , and hold pedals consistent.

Well in Gazelle (and Astar) control system sort of does it for you. Just prior to liftoff, bring your helo to 'light on skids', lift collective sllloooowwwwlyyyy, until you see skids stretch a little as weight is removed. Now use cyclic trim hat to move the control indicator diamond down, so that its top point is 1 pixel higher then horizontal bar. Now lift collective up sloowly , while applying right (power ) pedal a small bit, so that when skids break hold of ground the helo wont jump to the side due to torque. Then from then on, you manually hover using slightest of pressure on cyclic. This requires practice,

This is also how real world Robinsons, Enstroms, Bell 206 work, and other small light helos. Not far different from large helos like CH-53E, MI-8, and MI-26 work, as those use tuned hydralics for cyclic.

Check out helo training videos of Helicopter Online Ground School on YouTube.