A/G radar target designation questions

BarTzi

Trying to figure out if I'm encountering a bug, or if the A/G radar is planned to work that way.

1. In A/A mode, you can't use the radar to lock anything outside the area that you are scanning. This makes sense.

However, in A/G mode, you can 'lock' a target outside of the radar cone (when scanning less than 120 degrees). How is this done, and is it even possible?

2. The cone does not center around the target you marked. This means maneuvering the plane can move the designated target outside of the area the radar is scanning. I understand this is something you can't compare to STT mode (where you continuously have to update target parameters), but I'm wondering if that's the way it's supposed to work?

3. Finally, should the cone center around the TDC, allowing you to slew it left and right? Currently, it's centered on the nose, and you can't move it sideways.

Edited by BarTzi

Great, then that's a bug. Thanks for confirming. Do you know if the scanned zone should center around the TDC?

What is a bug? You asked if you can designate outside the cone, and you can't, unless you mean something like setting the scan azimuth to something below the full azimuth and trying to designate, in which case I'm not sure what should happen. Once you make a designation it doesn't matter where you point the radar, the designation has already been made.

About the centering on TDC, no it shouldn't.

Edit: reading the post again I see you're talking about sub-120 degree azimuth settings. I'll try to dig, but I'm not sure what should happen exactly here.

Edited by Santi871

The only designation mode we have right now with the A/G radar is Navigation Stabilized Cursor Designation. This doesn't really use the radar at all to track, just creates a navigation referenced point on the ground. The idea is that you use the radar picture as a guide for where to place the point, but AFAIK there's no technical reason why you couldn't place the point outside the current radar scan volume, the navigation system doesn't know the difference.

It's possible that the Hornet computer prevents the pilot from being stupid and creating a designation point outside the scan volume with no reference, so I'm not sure if it is a bug or not, but it's not impossible for it to work the way it does right now.

When we get Fixed Target Track (FTT), that uses the radar antenna to track a high-contrast target on the ground very much like an STT works in the air.

Bunny Clark and Santi - thank you very much. You learn something new every day.

Why can't you slew the radar cone sideways in that mode, is it a limitation of the hardware at the time, or something that simply was not needed?

Edited by BarTzi