Matra or normal missiles ? What's the difference ?

Zarma

• 4 years later...

The word active refers to radar or seeker emission, so IR seekers are passive as they do not emit.

There is a particular aspect of the range issue which seems to be overlooked, the Max range given by MATRA at the time in the case of the F variant (lower energy than the D) mention an intercept at 40 km but with a gain in altitude of 30.000ft.

I'm curious to know if the AIM-7/120 Max ranges were achieved in the same conditions, somehow, I doubt it.

r530-110.jpg

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Was there a time when the M2000 could take other missiles besides the 530D and Magic IR?

No, DCS already had the "Super 530D" modelled for the AI (the "normal" missile).

IIRC it performed much worse in DCS compared to MATRA's specs. and other fox1 missiles, so Razbam created their own "Matra" version of the Super 530D.

By the time I bought the Razbam's M-2000C the "Matra Super 530D" was the only version available to players.

ED's version of the "Super 530D" is still available to the AI "Mirage 2000-5"

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

zombie thread. Was there a time when the M2000 could take other missiles besides the 530D and Magic IR?

Technically, the few first 2000 (RDM radar, M-53-5 engine) could be fitted with the F, the following C (RDI radar, modified inlets and M53-P2 with 10% more thrust) is the one type paired with the Super 530D variant.

The Super 530D retains the same general aerodynamic features and internal layout as its Super 530F predecessor, with cruciform low aspect ratio wings and cruciform aft controls. However, the stainless steel body is longer to accommodate a new radome & seeker assembly and a new and more powerful dual-thrust solid propellant motor. The missile is 3.80 metres long, has a body diameter of 263 mm, a wing span of 0.62 metres and with the same warhead as the Super 530F missile, weighing 270 kg.

Guidance is by the mono-pulse AD26 CW Doppler semi-active seeker, which has improved ECCM capability, and improved capability against low-flying targets. The missile's guidance unit is also fitted with digital micro-processing, which enables the seeker to be reprogrammed against new threats. The missile has a claimed maximum interception altitude of 80,000 feet (24,400 metres), with a snap-up capability of 40,000 feet (12,200 metres), and a snap-down capability to targets at 200 feet (60 metres). The missile has a range of 40 km and a maximum speed of Mach 5.

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Super_530

Some extra details about the Super-530D, but I haven't seen any explaining how they manage 40km range with a snap-up flight profile of 40.000 ft with no significant increase in range in look-down flight.

From my humble PoV, knowing how DGA operates with their data, the true Maximum aerodynamic range of this AAM is "bunkered", since it is still in service with some DGA clients, so we have the DCS 40 km range to play with, which is a slight disadvantage since I believe that the equivalent AIM-7 and even early AIM-120 Max ranges are given in Max Aero.

Correction. About different Max Ranges, I'll refer to the complete and well-documented F/A-18 Flight Manual of Jane's for the acronyms, it's better than posting bad info.

Janes-Achronymes.jpg

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.