STT lock but no target identification?

rale26

I thought that once target is locked in STT you are supposed to see identification of the target in bottom right corner of radar screen. I never see that, I have to use map to make sure I didn't lock a buddy. Where is target ident displayed or is it at all?

First of all, you have IFF, so even of you don't have the identification you can still know whether you've locked a buddy or not. Given that, I think the identification only kicks in when you're close to the target (10nm more and less), but wait for confirmation from other people who know the airplane better than I do!

First of all, you have IFF, so even of you don't have the identification you can still know whether you've locked a buddy or not. Given that, I think the identification only kicks in when you're close to the target (10nm more and less), but wait for confirmation from other people who know the airplane better than I do!

I do use IFF but still, it would be nice to see it confirmed.

You have to turn ON the IFF interrogator and use HOTAS command to trigger the interrogation.

You can do it before or after lock.

You have symbols on radar screen and HUD.

And you can IFF at long range.

Read the manual :book:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I do use IFF but still, it would be nice to see it confirmed.

NCTR depends indeed of range but also of Target Aspect, so it's not always available. It's the same for all aircrafts. For example, won't be available with Beaming/Draging targets.

But it works fine on the Mirage 2000C, try the guns guns guns instant mission and you'll have it for example.

NCTR depends indeed of range but also of Target Aspect, so it's not always available. It's the same for all aircrafts. For example, won't be available with Beaming/Draging targets.

But it works fine on the Mirage 2000C, try the guns guns guns instant mission and you'll have it for example.

Thank you Steph21, this is useful info.

NCTR despite being a form of identification is not IFF at all. It is strictly a radar function looking at patterns in the reflection. It works much how submarines identify particular ships by sonar. The part of the airplane that modulates the signal so distinctly is the engine. This pattern is jet engine modulation JEM and the radar is programmed with a JEM database to compare.

Knowing this its not surprising that looking down the air intakes is needed to have a JEM signal. The DCS Mirage being a sim needs a lookup method to determine what string of characters to display for what object. This table might be out of date as new airplanes are introduced after the last Mirage update.