New symbol on SA page

Martin2487

I found out that a new symbol appears on the SA page that I have not seen before. If you place the aircraft in a neutral coalition and you have AWACS included in the Link-16 network, this aircraft will send you as a data link with this symbol which is in the screenshot. It seems realistic because I found that it is displayed on the SA page and in the real aircraft, see the picture. But I would like to know the exact meaning of this new symbol and therefore I would like to ask ED if it would not give us an answer or anyone who knows. Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w7fjjFwlc0GbC5oUq652EJnCp_qUc0Vw/view?usp=sharing

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181217/09450d5be0be5a5b92e676ab78992cc4.jpg

Looks like an unidentified airborne threat that's being tracked by both you and the AWACS - hence the square above and below.

FYI that second image you posted is the SA page on a Super Hornet, not a legacy. The symbology may not be identical.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

Yup, a square sided "staple" HAFU indicates a track that is IDed as unknown. If the track is an unknown both in your system and from the surveillance aircraft then it will show a staple HAFU on the top and bottom, resulting in the rectangular symbol you see.

That symbol is however different than what unknown tracks have looked like before the update.

Indeed. Do normal 'Unknown' tracks still have the normal proportioned staple shape? Haven't checked yet...

The new symbol may represent the beginnings of something new? Ground tracks? Although I was expecting those to be X shaped, if other aircraft's implementation are a reference.

• 2 weeks later...