X 56 Throttle: control suggestions

Sr.

Curious as to what X 56 users map to the 3 "wheel" controls on the X 56 throttle for DCS? The A-10C in particular.

X56thr.PNG.3d27718b97d3150f675b15d63b59b2b3.PNG

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Also... any suggestion for these rotary switches?

rotary.PNG.7ed4b0a7e6a20a7561149bae79de5435.PNG

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Same here. What would be their most useful use?

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3447 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

I map the antenna elevation to the top wheel. I map the pushbutton function of that wheel to SRS1 (not that I use this yet - I am using Discord as I am only doing multiplayer with my kids at the moment until I get better)

I map cockpit zoom to the bottom wheel. I use this a lot, particularly when lining up for landing - it helps me sight the runway. I map the pushbutton function of that wheel to SRS2.

The clicky wheel is useless to me. I tried to get it working as an in-cockpit zoom but it didn't map. I got it working as a mouse zoom for external views however. Of limited use in my book as it doesn't map to an axis from my experimentation (I could be wrong - gave up after mucking about with it for an hour or so).

I use one of the base rotaries for the Helmet Mounted Display brightness. I find it really helpful as it becomes an annoying distraction when you're fence out and heading in to land. For the F-14 I use one for manual wing sweep.

I use the base switches for various things. Landing gear up/down for one of them. Flaps (auto/half/full) for another. Master arm on/off for another. A2A/A2G for another. Quite useful.

I'm still fairly new to DCS but I'm quite happy with my control mappings now. Let me know if you want my exported config.

Edited by symowallo

In addition:

- For the virtual mouse, I use that as the TDC as it's an axis and works really well for that.

- For the bottom 4 way in your picture, I use that for radar range up/down (Right MFD PB11 and PB12 on the Hornet) and left is Comm2, right is Comm2.

- For the 4 way just above the one in the picture, I use that for speed brakes (up/down) and MIDS A and MIDS B (left/right). I still don't know what MIDS does but haven't gotten to that yet, I just saw that the real F/A-18 HOTAS has it on the throttle as well, so if a real pilot needs it near the hand, then so do I.

Yeah, I have all the other basically in use. It's the small "volume" looking knobs I'm curious about.

I did find a useful video by "Laobi (??) as to programming the slider on the throttle to be of more use than a single button. It's great for Air Brake forward and aft.

Used this to program a toggle switch for the different navigation/taxi lighting positions.

--Arthur C Clark

Yeah, I have all the other basically in use. It's the small "volume" looking knobs I'm curious about.

I did find a useful video by "Laobi (??) as to programming the slider on the throttle to be of more use than a single button. It's great for Air Brake forward and aft.

Used this to program a toggle switch for the different navigation/taxi lighting positions.

Per above, (refer to my comment regarding “base rotaries”) I use the volume knobs for things like HMD brightness and wing sweep. You could also use it for light/HUD brightness.

Edited by symowallo