Flight Dynamics in FC 2

Another support from me that you give TrackIR at least another try shackman :thumbup:. And since you have TrackIR 5 why don't you download the latest driver and software for it if you haven't already got them before giving it another go.

If you are dizzy when using it then maybe for now you should adjust the sensitivity so that your view in the game does not move too fast for your liking when you move you head around and also probably start trying to get used to it when no enemy is around so that you don't have to look around quickly in the game. And then you can continue on from there (just take your time when learning to get used to it).

Well I have decided to go ahead and learn to use it on a program that it will be useful for, and thats FC 2, instead of FSX. But the problem is the settings I'm still confused aboutt hem. i was talking with bengo and he said to adjust the curves not the speed or smooth. But I don't quite get the idea of the curves. I mean it is a little fast but I believe that with practice through FC 2 I'll get better. I'm just trying to get the settings so the view changes quickly but stays steady. Any suggestions, such as what to set them to? Any help would be greatly appreciated:thumbup:

And in FC 2 are the external views controlled by TIR like in FSX, I hope not that was really weird how if you looked left the view externally in FSX would move.:helpsmilie:

But I don't quite get the idea of the curves.

It's the same concept as the curves for joystick axis within the game. Essentially, the idea behind Track IR is that for every degree you turn your head, your "in game" head turns by a greater, but proportional, amount. By multiplying the effect within the game, we can look behind us (in the game) without actually having to look behind ourselves in reality.

When you're in the TIR software, it'll show a grid projected onto a sphere with degree markings, which will move as you move your head. The degree markings show how far your in game view will be turned. So at -90 degrees you'll be looking out to the right of your plane. Adjust the curves until the furthest you're willing to turn your head is about 180 degrees (since FC2 limits how far you can turn your head, there's no point in allowing it to go further, Exorcist-style).

If you're finding you need to turn your head too far to get around to 180 degrees, then increase the curve (use the green up/down arrow buttons to move every point at once). If you're finding it turns too quickly, lower them.

You can also load a few different templates to give you a feel for how different curves affect the view.

I also find it helpful to reduce the multiplier towards the center so it's easier to keep your view on the gunsight. For Arma, I actually have the curve zeroed for a few degrees in the center so I have a locked view when I'm using the gunsight. Not such an issue in FC2.

And in FC 2 are the external views controlled by TIR like in FSX, I hope not that was really weird how if you looked left the view externally in FSX would move.:helpsmilie:
No it doesn't. I think the external camera controls are separate bindings.

Attached is a shot of the curve I use for the yaw axis. You could try setting up something similar and see what you think of it. But there's no right or wrong setting, just whatever feels right for you.

tir.png.6145a0b4568957233b8e65e7f3f88515.png

Yes, like nomdeplume I also find it helpful to have the multiplier reduced toward the center so that I can have my head move around a bit when looking straight to the middle of the monitor screen and still have the hud roughly in the middle of it. What I'm using is the smooth profile that I modified to my liking so you might want to try that profile too for a start shackman and modify it accordingly (using the green up and down arrow or by adjusting the curve).

Edited by Bvoiash
  • Like 1