F/A-18C Lot 20 Template Questions / Help

SkateZilla

You are great SkateZilla, Thank you very much

Keep in Mind, the texture is NOT the same as the External Model Pilot Texture.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Keep in Mind, the texture is NOT the same as the External Model Pilot Texture.

I knew it, I just lacked the data of the line that had to be written in the description.lua :D:D:D

29600169298_344524b6b3_b.jpg

Thanks Again

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Nevermind, I got it figured out :)

Hey there, I am trying to add the LAU 115C's to my livery, I was able to get the BRU 33's to successfully add on.

To further clarify None of the Aim-9's doubles, or the Aim-7's LAU-115's are using the texture referenced below, using the following for the BRU_33 worked fine in the description.lua

{"BRU_33", 0 ,"104th_BRU_33_diff",false};

{"BRU_33", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"BRU_33_DIF_RoughMet",false};

I have this in my Description.Lua, did I mess something up?

{"LAU_115C", 0 ,"104th_LAU_115C_DIFF",false};

{"LAU_115C", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"104th_LAU_115C_DIFF_roughmet",false};

Also Tried, to no avail

{"LAU_115", 0 ,"104th_LAU_115C_DIFF",false};

{"LAU_115", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"104th_LAU_115C_DIFF_roughmet",false};

Edited by Fallen_907
Additional information

• 2 weeks later...

A tip for finding things is to create a layer divided into four colours e.g. red, yellow, blue, green.

Save it as usual and view in the model viewer. Note which colour the part you want is now painted, go back into the template and search that area.

If you still cannot find it then subdivide that colored area into four again, save, review and repeat as necessary until you narrow it right down.

Edited by BoNidle

No problem, glad to assist.

Be warned that the nose will distort areas painted on it, so you may have to distort the edges of painted areas to compensate and allow the distortion caused by the nose model to pull it straight again.....if that makes sense?

A handy tip: The first layer on both the Diff_1 and the Diff_2 templates is called "Mesh" and shows the construction layout of the 3d model. I duplicated this layer on both templates and then renamed them to "Black Mesh" and "White Mesh".

On "Black mesh" I changed the layer quality to "Difference" which made the layer transparent but the mesh lines became black making the model layout easy to see when painting on the layers below so making the connection of demarcation lines of colours easier to work out.

On "White mesh" I changed the layer quality to "Screen" which did the same thing but changed the lines to a white colour.

The contrast in colour is useful when painting light or dark colours respectively.

It was very useful on my "Ambush 07", "Fights On" and the "Black and white VMFA-115 Silver Eagles" Skins.

Edited by BoNidle

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but here I go...I made a texture mod for the cockpit (I mean the internal cockpit, not the external one) and created 2 new roughmets that are non existent in the official textures rar of the hornet...I want to make my cockpit selectable from the DCS cockpit menu so I want to create a cockpit "skin"...everything works except the 2 new roughmets I created for these 2 textures:

-f18c_cpt-glass_hud.dds--->f18c_cpt-glass_hud_RoughMet.dds

-f18c_cpt-glass_refl.dds---->f18c_cpt-glass_refl_RoughMet.dds

I added the following lines to the description.lua in order to make DCS to load them:

{"f18c_cpt-glass_full", 0, "f18c_cpt-glass_refl", false};

{"f18c_cpt-hudl", 0, "f18c_cpt-glass_refl", false};

{"f18c_cpt-glass_full", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC , "f18c_cpt-glass_refl_RoughMet", false};

{"f18c_cpt-hudl", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC , "f18c_cpt-glass_refl_RoughMet", false};

{"f18c_cpt-glass_hud_edge", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC , "f18c_cpt-glass_hud_RoughMet", false};

However, DCS doesnt load the new created roughmets once in game...anyone knows why?, maybe there are some more arguments missing I need to call?

thanks!!

Take a look at my MODS here

RoughMets need to be enabled, by having the Default Texture w/ RoughMets.

IF Default Textures do not have roughmet's, that channel is disabled.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

RoughMets need to be enabled, by having the Default Texture w/ RoughMets.

IF Default Textures do not have roughmet's, that channel is disabled.

Oh man, I suspected that, so no way to make them work I guess :( ...hope ED to add these as they are important to get reflections on HUD and hud projector among other things.

Thanks Skate!

Thinking again about what you posted Skate I have the feeling that maybe you meant that roughmets maps wont work "at all"...thats not what I meant...the roughmets are working fine but only when loaded from the original cockpit texture rar file (dropping them into this rar file)...

what I want is to be able to create a "skin" for the cockpit inside the liveries subfolder of the cockpit folder...the problem is that doing so, and even after calling the roughmets with the arguments aforementioned, these 2 files (roughmets) wont work for my cockpit "skin".

Hope its clearer now...

thanks!

Thats what I meant, unless the Default Textures have RoughMets, the channel is disabled.

You can enable them by making RoughMets for the default textures and adding them to the Textures Zip, then Make New ones for your Cockpit Livery, but You'd fail IC.

Thats what I meant, unless the Default Textures have RoughMets, the channel is disabled.

You can enable them by making RoughMets for the default textures and adding them to the Textures Zip, then Make New ones for your Cockpit Livery, but You'd fail IC.

Ok skate!, thanks a lot for your help :), hope ED can add these files in the future to make glass material.

Bye!

Any thoughts on whether ED would add the glass material as an optional alternate to the default textures? Not sure if you’ve personally had a chance to use waterman’s mod or not, but despite how much I loved the Hornet cockpit texturing from day 1...he somehow managed to improve upon it by a good margin with his mod. Really solid work and at least having the option to use it in game, while passing IC, would be a huge win for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No...but you can force numbers in the Mission Editor (if the skin supports the dynamic boat numbers).

Why do you need to do it in the Lua?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" 1998 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213788

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" July 2001 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215950

Pilot avatars for DCS Logbook

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221160

How to make a DCS A-10C Panel

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=65998

I'm messing about with the numbers on the vertical stabilizer. Is it possible to have the Finnland/Switzerland numbers location on an USA jet? Or is the location of the numbers bound to an argument that only changes with the country?

4a3380a1585ba7218c3cd0faacb31eb7.jpg

Thanks a lot for tips in advance. :)

Hi - i've got same problem as post 125. Tried referring to the second texture in each of the Vert Stabliser bort number areas..but i still see the default "bull" logo appearing at bottom of my new logo. I'm using the description.lua from the OP

--Texture Map 1

{"f18c1", 0, "f18c_ww_1_dif", false};

--Texture Map 2

{"f18c2", 0, "f18c_ww_2_dif", false};

-- U.S. Navy -- Vertical Stabilizer

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_KIL_R_100", 0, "f18c_ww_2_dif", false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_KIL_R_10", 0, "f18c_ww_2_dif", false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_KIL_R_01", 0, "f18c_ww_2_dif", false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_KIL_L_100", 0, "f18c_ww_2_dif", false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_KIL_L_10", 0, "f18c_ww_2_dif", false};

{"F18C_BORT_NUMBER_KIL_L_01", 0, "f18c_ww_2_dif", false};

What have i done wrong (or not done at all) ?

Edit: I hadn't done the Kuwait etc lines (assumed i only needed to do USA if only going to use this livery on USA for example)

Edited by chokko

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi - i've got same problem as post 125. Tried referring to the second texture in each of the Vert Stabliser bort number areas..but i still see the default "bull" logo appearing at bottom of my new logo. I'm using the description.lua from the OP

--Texture Map 1

--Texture Map 2

Edit: I hadn't done the Kuwait etc lines (assumed i only needed to do USA if only going to use this livery on USA for example)

My first suspicion is that something is odd with the spectacle files. Are you using default, so:

{"f18c1", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"F18C_1_DIF_RoughMet",true};

?

--Texture Map 1

--Texture Map 2

you have to change Kuwait and Finland Lines to the New Diffuse texture as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

I'm actually a graphic designer by trade but new to DCS and skinning and I am attempting to make my very first skin. I have the Hornet PSD template but it only has very limited markings and beyond the obvious stuff, I'm having trouble figuring out what should go where. Does anyone have a PSD of a skin they've done or even a transparent PNG that I could add as a gude layer?

I want to do a fully painted top/spine and I'd like to skin the drop tanks too. I am having an especially hard time with getting oriented on the FPU file.

I'm doing a fictional Jamaican / Rastafarian Squadron (The Wailers) and will be happy to share the skin and give credit for any help.

Thanks!

Edited by Porkchopper
Added info