Stick, throttle and pedals for VEAO sims

Hey Fraggdya,

Well as part of the Virtual Red Arrows and being sponsored by Thrustmaster, of course I'm going to recommend the Hotas Warthog.

However I would have recommended it anyway as I think it's the best stick ever flown with, and I've been through a few.

For the Tiffy you will definately find all of the switches and buttons on the HW useful, as well as the Cougar MFD screens.

For the Hawk, a lesser stick and throttle unit could be used but I still think the HW would be good good for switching weapons etc.

It really is down to your choice but the Warthog won't let you down.

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 1

Despite some older posts, from other simmers, I'm very satisfy with G940. Kinda slowly extincting kind, but works very well. Not easy to get (used to), resisting sometimes (what hours I spent swearing before I discovered there is a dead man switch ...) but perhaps good alternative to more expensive TM Warthog.

• 3 weeks later...

As a Warthog owner, definitely go for the Warthog!! It is the best stick I have ever owned. Sure, probably the most expensive on the market, but it is certainly the best. They put hall effect sensors on all axis. Why others don't do this I have no idea. Pots are rubbish, and there is no reason to use them anymore on major components.

Best regards,

Tango.

All the major sticks I looked at recently, use pots on at least one major axis (e.g. throttle).

Reading around, the X52 Pro has hall sensors on the X and Y, but NOT the rudder (twist function) OR the throttle!

Logitech G940 - pots on the throttle and rudder pedals.

Saitek rudder pedals - pot.

WHY?????

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango
They put hall effect sensors on all axis.

I am fairly certain that the gray slider on the throttle base does not have hall sensors.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't want to pull mine apart to look, but I'm fairly sure I saw that it uses hall effect sensor. I did much digging to confirm this, but was a while ago.

If it does use a pot, it is a damn good one. I have yet to see any spiking indicative of it being a pot, and I use it daily, particularly around the mid-point. Considering it is 18 months old now, it has survived me so far. :)

EDIT: You are correct. SimHQ did a tear-down of one in their review: http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_174a.html

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango
  • 4 weeks later...

Is that SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM EGGS AND SPAM or SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM AND EGGS?

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango
  • 5 months later...

These are the major hotas that I know of

Saitek X-65f : the best of the bunch IMHO and I do own the next one too, best software as long as you upgrade it to the latest version's)

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog : rubbish software which really does it no good (when will thrustmaster hire a programmer?).

Logitech G-940 : comes with pedals so the rather high price is actually quite good value.

Saitek X-52 Pro

Saitek X-52 : I don't think this is possibly to buy anymore?!

for pedals there is only one of really high quality

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Saitek Pro Flight Pedals

Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Pedals (might be the same as the above)

Thrustmaster Pedals (but not available where I buy my stuff)

CH Products does some stuff like Pedals and Throttle stick (and a Cessna like joystick)

not familiar with those at all, seem's to be rather plastic.

Computer HW:

CPU: i7-5930K; RAM: 32GB DDR4;GPU: 2xAsus GTX-980Ti; MotherBoard: Asus Rampage VI Extreme; Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II; Monitor: Samsung 34" S34E790C; Headphones Thurtle Beach

Controler HW:

HOTAS #1: Thrustmaster Warthog; HOTAS #2: Saitek X-65F (The best!); HOTAS #3: Saitek X-52 Pro; Pedals: MFG Crosswind

Keyboard: Saitek S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 + Logitech G-13

MFD: ThrustMaster Cougar MFD's

Mouse: Logitech G-700

Oculus Rift: CV1

If your a hardcore simmer.. Go with the x65f :D... it costs... but are really worth the money in terms of quality and buttons/programming software.

never tried the TMWH or any other hotas but saiteks so someone else need to say something bout it but me..

If youre on a budget or a casual simmer... id go with a 52pro

ive sticked to saitek cause ive never had any issues with them.. x45-52pro-65f

and the 65f is the stick im most pleased about... only thing i miss on it is the slider from the 52pro

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog : rubbish software which really does it no good (when will thrustmaster hire a programmer?).

The software may not be well documented but it works just fine.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi guys, really looking forward to both of these announced products :thumbup:

at present - what HOTAS and pedals would you recommend for your products? Warthog or something else?

thanks,

fraggdya

That pretty much depends on your self...so in order to make a decission you´d ask yourself a few questions:

1.) what are you able/willing to spend for a stick?

Selfexplanatory, money rules the world. If you can efford it...go ahead and get the HW, if not, get the X-52pro, which is a very great HOTAS setup as well.

2.) what do you think. How much time will you invest in flying only?

If the answer is like, just a few hours here and there, so the HW wouldnt worth it, it would rather been coverd with dust all over before you finish your first mission. But if you are going to fly Simulation Games a lot, so get it...if the answer of question 1 applies for you :)

3.) how much are you trying to simulate military airframes?

Are you going to be a fungamer? You want to be part of the community and you would like to learn to know the Stick and thats all? Or are you going to be a serious gamer, who will read all the manuals and trying to understand every bit of the Aircraft...where do you see yourself?

as I said, it depends on yourself...I am somewhat a mix of a fungamer and a serious simmer...at the time, I am pretty much more the fungamer, thats why a HW wouldnt worth for me...at the moment at least.

I am very happy with my X-52pro and can recommend it as well. Ceck out my profile which can be found in my signature and see for your self what this stick is able to do...

but at the end its your choice

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Caveat over the X-65 - the throttles use POTS and the stick does not move AT ALL, so requires solid attachment to a desk or other suitable place.

That said, the Warthog is worth every penny and has hall effect devices on all axis.

I also recently purchased the Saitek Pro Flight Cessna rudder pedals, and they are excellent too. Same hardware as the Combat Pedals, but $50 cheaper.

Best regards,

Tango.

That said, the Warthog is worth every penny and has hall effect devices on all axis.

The Warthog does not have hall sensors on the slider axis.