Fix for the 'Control Manager' broken after Windows Update problem

Jodet

I've tried about ten different fixes for the 'Control Manager stops working' problem and none of them worked (well, some did for awhile but then stopped working).

This is the only thing I've found that works (so far):

You have to be able to restore your Win10 to the previous version.

Do that, then immediately do a 'Start, Run' on 'Services.msc'. Scroll down to the bottom, find 'Windows Update' and DISABLE it.

This will let you keep the version of Windows that doesn't break Control Manager. I hope Microsloth doesn't push down the update anyway after a certain amount of time. But if disabling the 'Windows Update' in services.msc works long term we're good.

Best thing is for CH to work with Microsloth and get a real fix but I think that's a remote possibility. I think they'll just get out of the consumer market, but we shall see.

• 3 months later...

Who owns the source code for Control Manger, CH or Bob Church? I would think it could be tweaked to work just fine with Win10, as while I no longer use it for programming it's the only way to calibrate your CH HOTAS properly..

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

I gave up on CH Manager since the issue is with the unsigned chdrv01-03.sys (virtual input device) files from circa 2006 that get installed with the software. WIN10 does not care for them ..... not to mention any installer that reviews your HID drivers will happily present you a BSOD... they too will choke on your unsigned Drivers. I have been using RSMapper, so I can have Shift and Mode (the 3 extra hidden Virtual CH Buttons you can not assign in any application but can see inside joy.cpl) also Long/Short functions for the specific buttons I need. The rest is handled in Game

I do miss the options for 1024 virtual buttons and 256 virtual axis the CH Manger had available - where are you BOB CHURCH!! ... retired!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205492&highlight=rsmapper

Edited by Dstryrofsoulz

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.

I found a fix for the BSOD issue triggered by the chdrv01-03.sys file. What I do is launch CH Control Manager, then select the icon for OFF mode, then continue to launch whatever installer that had been causing my problem. As long as you have OFF mode enabled and you leave the CH Manager program running (if you shut it off the CH drivers revert to either Direct or Mapped mode) whatever program that had been triggering the BSOD will happily run/install/whatever.

I first discovered this trick years ago when trying to install Daemon Tools. That installer would also throw up a BSOD referencing the chdrv file and after much experimenting I learned that as long as you have CH Manager run in OFF mode, the signature check passes.

Now, what is this CH Manager issue that the OP is talking about? I've been able to keep using CH Control Manager for years now with Windows 10 (freshly updated to 1909 even) without issue. I may have another fix if you mean that sometimes CH Manager becomes unresponsive and freezes. If so, the fix had to do with making a small change in the Device Manager. You need to make sure the box for "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" is UNCHECKED under the Power Management tab under Properties for all your CH Products devices.

Once I did that I had no problems. In fact, on my main gaming rig I run CH Manager at system launch (CMstart.exe) so that my most recently loaded controller map is pre-loaded. I also have a full Thrustmaster Hotas rig and can seemingly swap between a CH Pro Pedal, a CH Fighterstick or my Warthog throttle and joystick without issue.

Hope maybe something I said above helps you guys out. There is a way to keep CH Manager working under Windows 10. My system is proof of that.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64