No RWR Report for SA-19 Launch

Captain Orso

I was on Hoggit's Georgia At War server yesterday and got smacked by an SA-19 without any warning. RWR was picking up lots of other things like Mig-29's and Mig-31's and I did see S6 on the EW page, but no tone, so although it was inside the serious threat ring I ignored it, but it's not what got me anyway.

There should have been 2x TOR's, 1x Tunguska, and 2x Strella's in the area, but when I approached at 16k it was crickets. Because I had a DECM instead of a TPOD I couldn't find a single target, although I did see some burning wrecks. Were these my targets, or corpses from some earlier battle?

I also had 2x IRMV loaded so I made a big circle over the sea while cooling my IR-sensors. Then I locked onto the waypoint for the Tunguska. After not being able to pick it up on the DMT and even less so onthe IRMV's IR sensors, I switched to guns and went in to a closer look.

I flew straight over the Tunguska site at 100 feet waiting for a bleep or a bloop, but not even a peep. After flying through the whole town, I started to turn around and climb; still silence, and right after overflying the Tunguska again *BANG* fuel regulator out, and a heavy pull to the right while turning upside down. I almost get the ship upright gaing, but couldn't pull the nose up, so I punched out, upside down about 1000 feet AGL *whew* close.

Since there were only 6 minutes before mission end I dived off the server and rang up the mission on TACVIEW. Yup, right after turning back in and starting to overfly the town again, the Tunguska spits out an SA-19 while I'm flying right at it at 4000 AGL, and not a peep from RWR.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Tunguska (SA-19) has two weapons, an optically guided missile that gives no warnings at all or a pair of 30mm radar guided guns. If it fires its missiles at you, there won't be any warnings unless you can see it, but it has shit performance so light manouvering will solve that. For guns I'm not certain if it always has the radar on. But the radar signature is shown as "S6" instead of "19" as one would expect. In general, you should not get anywhere close to where a Tunguska is hiding. Those ****ers are nasty if you do not know EXACTLY where they are.

Why those sneaky bastards. The probably use the radar only when I was at range and then tracked visually and when I came back all casually, because no radar from close and I couldn't localize anything but burning wrecks, they fired and guided a missile optically.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Why those sneaky bastards. The probably use the radar only when I was at range and then tracked visually and when I came back all casually, because no radar from close and I couldn't localize anything but burning wrecks, they fired and guided a missile optically.

'Ing russians and all that :)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

In DCS the Tunguskas generally set up their search radar when you are nearby, so you usually get a warning of them being in the area, but no further warning when they get to shooting. Added nastiness for being able to guide optically through thick clouds at times, but that's probably a bug.

And the whole time I was thinking, until the search radar is on, I haven't got a worry :doh:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler