Different KA50 behavior in missions

dr_hippo

In some missions I have the KA 50 in control. I can easaly come to a Hover.

In other mission ( mostly campaign missions ) it is impossible to come in a hover position.

The KA 50 is in same configuration and I have no idea why.....

Thanks

• ED Team

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Probably different weather / wind in the mission.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Practice in more windy conditions! The hover hold autopilot function is meant to assist you in remaining in hover, it's not to snap into a hover from forward flight. Just stabilise in a hover under manual control before you hit the switch and you're halfway there. Only thing left to worry about is the weather-vane effect.

In the wind get yourself as close to a hover as you can and then auto-hover.

But... manual hover is much better anyway :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

In some missions I have the KA 50 in control. I can easaly come to a Hover.

In other mission ( mostly campaign missions ) it is impossible to come in a hover position.

The KA 50 is in same configuration and I have no idea why.....

Thanks

That happen. Look your options/special in Ka-50 try a different setting there. Try reset your joystick settings and give to center joystick some play as 4, could be better center play

never go less than 5m/s in vertical speed when hovering.

If you keep feeling different in every single mission, then check the case for use your settings for all missions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

never go less than 5m/s in vertical speed when hovering.

You mean 'never go more than 5m/s in vertical speed' right? I guess you're warning about VRS when descending too fast, because climbing with more than 5m/s is not a problem in a hover.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

Yeah, it's not easy to auto hover. You have to get the copter in the best hover you can, and then hit "auto hover". It was never meant to put you into a hover from normal flight. But once you get into a good hover, and hit "auto hover" on, it does quite well at keeping you in the hover.

Yeah, it's not easy to auto hover. You have to get the copter in the best hover you can, and then hit "auto hover". It was never meant to put you into a hover from normal flight. But once you get into a good hover, and hit "auto hover" on, it does quite well at keeping you in the hover.

Key here is to trim just before Auto Hover;)

Corsair One 140 Windows 10 Home 64 - i7 9700K 3.6 GHz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 - Hotas Warthog - Saitek rudder - TIR5.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You mean 'never go more than 5m/s in vertical speed' right? I guess you're warning about VRS when descending too fast, because climbing with more than 5m/s is not a problem in a hover.

Correct, increase vertical speed when decrease altitude in a hover. If he hover and don’t pay attention that is better go slightly slow in vertical up speed than slightly slow in vertical down speed with the risk of lose lifting and control. that’s why when you are in hover you break right or left looking for ground speed instead of a sudden vertical speed change.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As said above, you need to manually hover the Ka-50, or almost hover with no more than 2-3m/s speed in any direction before you engage Auto-Hover.

I addition to this procedure, I keep clicking the Auto-Hover Mode button several times in rapid mode so it resets a: the hover point in space and b: tends to transition smoother and more accurate on settling.

If you do not click auto-hover again while coming along with 5 m/s forward speed, it will try to hover...but before it will fly BACKWARDS to the point in space where it was when you hit the button. Add some stupid wind and the 20% AP control authority overall, that may never end in a stable hover.

Fly in --> slow down --> hover MANUALLY with less than 2-3 m/s movement --> engage AP-AH - re-engage several times until it stabilizes.

that's how I do it :joystick:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

yes weather makes a big difference, wind especially.

It is best to roughly trim the airframe to hover in the current wind direction and then enable the auto hover. If the auto hover starts to drift with wind direction then off set your cyclic a tiny amount into the wind to hold the hover better and re-trim.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.