Another 2080TI Bites The Dust..... - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #1
Tinkickef

Default Another 2080TI Bites The Dust.....

This is the third one that has failed.

The first two started with PC restarting and failing to post at random times and rapidly got worse until the PC would not POST at all.

This time random crashes maybe once a week after 15 mins or so during a tomcat mission. This deteriorated into going black screen after 5 mins with same mission. Other less demanding missions unaffected.
After a day or so the black screen is after two minutes and all missions are affected.

The PC does not shut down, audio is still on and the diagnostic LEDs on my motherboard say AO which means all OK with that. I have to manually reset the PC and it boots normally. Until I go into DCS and black screen again.

I notice that the card now idles at 45C where before it was around 28C and just putting on Reverb makes the temp rocket up to 60C, albeit no crash. This with fans set to and running 100%.

New symptom appeared. Lighting is often upside down. Moonlight illuminates the underside of the aircraft instead of the top.

First two failures were on an old rig, this build is maybe six months old.

Only commonality other than card is that both rigs are fitted with EVGA Supernova 850G3 PSUs. Supposedly a decent power supply and plenty watts for the rig. Never had a card fail previous to the RTX.

Of course latest driver reinstalled clean and DCS repaired many times, fxo and metashaders deleted.

Am I just unlucky or is something killing the cards?

I can't imagine two separate and fairly new power supplies both being faulty... and yes I have twin cables going to the GPU, not one with a splitter.

This card lasted 7 months, previous ones lasted 3 months each.

Last RMA took nearly 3 months.

Bit fed up at the moment.
System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Last edited by Tinkickef; 12-03-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Tinkickef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
RustBelt

How's your wall power? And were all failures on the same Monitor?
RustBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
David OC

Seems a little strange...? If it is the power in your area, perhaps use a UPS to protect the system.
Reminds me, I need to replace the one a work.

I guess you could test for that, if your seeing big power fluctuations in HWMonitor.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Last edited by David OC; 12-03-2019 at 07:37 AM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
Sn8ke_iis

First off, that sucks!

I've had both of my 2080 Ti's for over a year now. No issues. Mine are cooled with water not air.

Are you watching your temps with Afterburner OSD?

Are you using the cables that came with your new power supply or are you using old cables? The wiring diagrams are not standardized on the power supply side only the motherboard side. If the polarities were reversed they would have fried on first boot, but maybe the ground? Do you have a multimeter to test your cables and connectors?

Pit:
Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K | HP Reverb Pro | SndblstrX G6 DAC | Sennheiser PC 363D headphones | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/center extension, MFDs | Vipergear IPC | Buddyfox UFC | Saitek Throttle Quad, Trim Wheel | MFG Pedals | Playseat Flightseat | Monstertech HOTAS mount | Gametrix Jetseat
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
Tinkickef

Had last look before starting the RMA process. Fired up DCS and held the headset instead of wearing it to watch the temps.
They climbed to 80C and the screen went black. That's not at all what I was expecting. I expected higher.

Anyway, duly went through the reset to get the display back and it failed to POST.

My motherboard diagnostic LED hung quite a while on code 61 then it bleeped twice and stopped altogether on error code 62.

Removed card and plugged monitor into built in graphics and the Rig booted up without problems.

From what I can gather, those codes are VRAM initialization and loading, so it looks as if the memory failed yet again. The guy at the retailer help desk agreed that it was probably a faulty card.

RMA approved and return label printed. Will take it to a drop off point tomorrow. Good job I saved all the original packaging.

I'm hoping I get one from a later batch this time. First RMA was still very early days, likely retailer was still selling original batch.with the duff memory.
Second RMA went to ASUS for repair and return, so still same early batch.
Hope the third time is the charm.
System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Last edited by Tinkickef; 12-03-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Tinkickef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
Worrazen

RMA 3 months? WTF?

We have a 45 day law if the product is not repaired it must be replaced immediately.

Maybe you should look at the PSU, I suggest getting a wall wattage meter, then if you have multiple rails on the PSU you should check the specs, this isn't that simple as one needs a bit of familiarity with how electricity works in this way and I was under the impression my PSU was ok but I figured out I was totally overloading the +12V line for years and that's why the PC acted erratic, it would sometimes lose output to the monitor and lock up even if the CPU was still working in the background, 120mm fans would quit working randomly and other little clues.

I ended up with a 750W Corsair HX or what it was the newer models, in single-rail mode (can switch), the outter label of the final wattage doesn't really matter that much as everyone thinks, the amps matter and specs on each of the voltage segments, as well as the rails if more than one.
DCS-Setup: Win10 x64 1607, 1440p@75"32, MOBO: Asus P9X79, CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 4.0GHz, GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB, 24 GB RAM @ 1333 Mhz, DCS on SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5 joystick.

Last edited by Worrazen; 12-05-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
BitMaster
Veteran

Similar here, it's the 3rd attempt to fix = F U L L REFUND
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5G_delidded - 32GB - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 32GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
Pilotasso
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8ke_iis View Post
First off, that sucks!

I've had both of my 2080 Ti's for over a year now. No issues. Mine are cooled with water not air.

Are you watching your temps with Afterburner OSD?

Are you using the cables that came with your new power supply or are you using old cables? The wiring diagrams are not standardized on the power supply side only the motherboard side. If the polarities were reversed they would have fried on first boot, but maybe the ground? Do you have a multimeter to test your cables and connectors?
The failures of dead 20 series cards have been linked to faulty VRAM modules of a given brand and have nothing to do with cooling. Some non reference cards have never had issues because they were using other VRAM modules.

Personally I skipped the 20 series as from the standpoint of performance to gamers they are half a generation upgrade at outrageous prices despite the vaunted ray tracing features. If you are tempted to buy a graphics with your hard earned money get AMD instead, or wait for the 30 series cards. I'm sure NVIDIA will course correct by then or face same trouble from AMD as Intel did.
Case: Corsair 400C
PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum
CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)
RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T
MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4
GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X
Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals
Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P
Pilotasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:59 AM   #9
Sn8ke_iis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotasso View Post

The failures of dead 20 series cards have been linked to faulty VRAM modules of a given brand and have nothing to do with cooling. Some non reference cards have never had issues because they were using other VRAM modules.

Personally I skipped the 20 series as from the standpoint of performance to gamers they are half a generation upgrade at outrageous prices despite the vaunted ray tracing features. If you are tempted to buy a graphics with your hard earned money get AMD instead, or wait for the 30 series cards. I'm sure NVIDIA will course correct by then or face same trouble from AMD as Intel did.
You speak so authoritatively, yet you provide no evidence of this. People who rely on word of mouth in forums without any data or testing to back up their statements are just giving opinions. You know what they say about opinions.

Steve from Gamer's Nexus did actual tests and was not able to pinpoint the problem other than "test escapes" and inadequate QC in the rush to get the cards to market to meet demand.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...-black-screens

There was never actually any evidence of a higher failure rate relative to other GPU's. People with good GPUs were too busy playing games while someone with a failed card would obviously be more likely to go on forums and tell people about it.

If you are suggesting that you can ignore cooling and temperatures, go ahead and take off the heatsinks and cooling fans on your GPU, play DCS for a couple of hours, and see how that goes for you.

A couple years back I was playing the Witcher 3 in 4K on my brand new 1080 SLI system that I built. The cinematic scenes will bring any GPU to it's knees. I made the mistake of relying on the card's stock firmware and fan profile to keep the cards cool and operating within specifications. That led to a trip to Microcenter to return one of the cards that had fried. After that I never relied on stock firmware and fan profiles to keep the cards within specifications. I now consistently check temps on an OSD that I can turn off and on with a hotkey. My current motherboard has an LED display so I can monitor clockspeed, voltage, and temperature in realtime but it's not convenient while gaming on my big screen. Although with a liquid cooling loop it has never been an issue. Overclocked PCs are very similar to a performance car with a supercharged engine. If you push the rpm too high without a proper radiator, it will blow.

You know what the best part of liquid cooling is? Not the overclock headroom, not the higher framerates or graphic settings. It's so quiet. Air cooled CPU/GPUs can sound like a turbofan engine when at max utilization, which is typical when playing DCS at high settings.

If you are coming here just to market and be a shill for AMD you should probably refrain from commenting in the future as that just undermines your credibility and people will just ignore you. It's really obvious when someone is a Fanboi.

In the computing field we use benchmarks to test GPU performance, not opinions. Per the Passmark GPU benchmark, the $499.00 Nvidia 2070 Super surpasses the AMD Radeon VII for $529.00. The Radeon VII which was released in February '19 is still surpassed by the 1080 Ti which was released in May '16. That's almost 3 years. That's a long time according to Moore's Law. As of this writing you can purchase used hybrid cooled 1080 Ti's on Ebay for $500.00. Newegg has the Radeon VII available @ $529.00 but they are being scalped on Amazon for $770.98.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Speaking of Intel, they wisely poached a very talented engineer from AMD. Raja Koduri is now head of Intel's Visual Computing Group. Apparently he was not happy with AMD's priorities with GPU development. Intel now also has Jim Keller formerly of Tesla and before that AMD where he was a lead architect of several successful CPU lines.

What was the point of your post exactly and how does it help the OP? But hey, thanks for sharing your opinion and letting everybody here know that Nvidia is beneath you and you are way too intelligent to upgrade your GPU. I've been having a blast with my Reverb and 2080 Ti. I'll sell you my 2080 Ti used when I upgrade next summer. I wouldn't get your hopes up that the new Nvidia Ampere cards based on a 7nm process will be more economical by any stretch. There's always demand from people with adequate disposable income to enjoy their hobbies.

You may be asking yourself how or why I would know all this. The bulk of my income comes from investing. To be successful at that you have to exercise due diligence and critical thinking skills and ignore Fanbois in forums. I am completely agnostic to whether I or anyone else builds a system with Intel, Nvidia, or AMD. I have traded stocks and options in all three. I make money regardless of what individual gamers choose. I just prefer to build my PCs with the fastest components available, because I can.

Pit:
Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K | HP Reverb Pro | SndblstrX G6 DAC | Sennheiser PC 363D headphones | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/center extension, MFDs | Vipergear IPC | Buddyfox UFC | Saitek Throttle Quad, Trim Wheel | MFG Pedals | Playseat Flightseat | Monstertech HOTAS mount | Gametrix Jetseat
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:24 AM   #10
Gladman

I've been running a 2080Ti since they first came out, and I mean, making it work. Not a days issue.
i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+
VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet
http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic99190_2.gif
Gladman is offline   Reply With Quote