OH-58D In flight testing now Twitch - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #21
MAXsenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Honestly IMO the only review thats worth a damn is from someone who a) has flown the real thing, and b) has a ton of time in DCS as well.

The main reason why is perspective. DCS has a ton of limitations of how it deals with control inputs and so forth, plus what sort of "feel" you can get it from it compared to real aircraft. I often think real pilots are quite over complimentary to DCS, especially if they only have a little bit of time in it and don't see all the issues too because they are like, hey this is pretty cool and only scratch the surface versus the serious players here.
You could be right about that.

One thing this Sven dude stressed, was that he only had used real life Kiowas for making this module.
And as a side note they are making one of the pilot models female!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
MAXsenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:00 PM   #22
Jester986

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFoxRomeo View Post
As a flight engineer

Fox
Thanks, I missed that. And interesting that he says flight engineer. The proper term would probably be crew chief.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #23
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Honestly IMO the only review thats worth a damn is from someone who a) has flown the real thing, and b) has a ton of time in DCS as well.

The main reason why is perspective. DCS has a ton of limitations of how it deals with control inputs and so forth, plus what sort of "feel" you can get it from it compared to real aircraft. I often think real pilots are quite over complimentary to DCS, especially if they only have a little bit of time in it and don't see all the issues too because they are like, hey this is pretty cool and only scratch the surface versus the serious players here.
That I completely agree.

One needs to understand the DCS and how to configure it and what it tries to be.
As anyone who has been flying with multiple different HOTAS systems, especially stick with extension or without, knows that the flight experience is totally different across those all. Throw a VR vs Display and again completely different experience. So based on what is then the opinions of real pilots made?
Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 PM   #24
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester986 View Post
Thanks, I missed that. And interesting that he says flight engineer. The proper term would probably be crew chief.
No, he meant Flight Engineer. That's what the Air Force calls Crew Chiefs if you're an Army-type person. There's more to it than that, but that will suffice.
AlphaOneSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #25
=Panther=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyrius View Post
Not gonna pay $5 to watch it, sorry.
My apology, didn't know there was a pay to view scheme on the VOD. When I posted the link, he was live and you don't need to pay to view live content.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Spoiler:
Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP
=Panther= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:21 AM   #26
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Panther= View Post
My apology, didn't know there was a pay to view scheme on the VOD. When I posted the link, he was live and you don't need to pay to view live content.
No worries, it would be interesting to hear I guess, but not $5 interesting to me.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:22 AM   #27
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post
No, he meant Flight Engineer. That's what the Air Force calls Crew Chiefs if you're an Army-type person. There's more to it than that, but that will suffice.
At the end of the day all it means is that he isn't an actual pilot with the experience to evaluate the FM in meaningful ways.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #28
LazyBoot

Quote:
At the end of the day all it means is that he isn't an actual pilot with the experience to evaluate the FM in meaningful ways.
Still... His wording was mostly that it felt a lot closer to the huey than the current Gazelle. And we could clearly see it behaving a lot more like a helicopter should.

EDIT: Also, you can see at least shorter snippets here
https://www.twitch.tv/thepavehawker/...clips&range=7d

I'm obviously not suggesting to jump on it before seeing proper reviews or anything, but only that I personally think it looks promising based on what I've seen so far.

Last edited by LazyBoot; 12-03-2019 at 05:55 AM.
LazyBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #29
flybull

I watched a few hours of the stream - was very impressed.

having a R/L Helicopter rating - i watched the FM intently and listened to what Sven, the dev said.

The flight model looks great (although hard to assess while watching) a lot of improvements over Gaz FM were evident - infact looked NOTHING like the gazelle, even with the OH-58Ds SCAS turned on.

The interior modelling was fantastic.

Im very pumped for this, had low expectations, but ive changed my mind.

This is one bad ass little helo

Good Work PC

Go Sky
flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #30
YoYo

Most expected module for me for 2020!
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, GTX 2080Ti 11Gb OC, RAM 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3200MHz,, 3xSSD+2xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TrackIR 5, [P3Dv4, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX/FC,TC] VR HP Reverb v2
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote