By way of an update

Pman

I hate to be a Debby downer, but I am a warbird pilot, and engines don’t just have a “chance”’of not starting. It’s all due to environmental factors (temperature, humidity, residual engine temp, etc) and human variations such as how much you’ve primed, throttle position, etc. The planes I fly start the same every time on the first try, so long as you adjust slightly for the environment. I think building in “chance” is just a good way of frustrating people who are otherwise performing the procedures properly. I also wouldn’t fly an airplane that was based on “chance”

Off topic but you can burn the starter motor out on the p51 thats a chance ;)

Anyway good luck dont release until its out of beta for that extra perfection :)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update, any future after the Ww2 birds?

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Honest answer?

I don't know, it will depend on how things are after P-40 is released and Hawk has been re-worked.

Too early to say

Thanks again, I have the Hawk since day 1 and pre-ordered the P-40. I will keep my fingers crossed for some modern jets:)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I will try and post some screen grabs etc next week, maybe a video depending on how time goes, the real life job is mental at the moment, limiting the time I can spend on screen grabs etc over actual development work, but I will try.

So VEAO is not your main occupation? That explains why everything is taking "forever". It's a pity developing planes for a flight sim can't provide enough income to quit those "real life" jobs. :cry:

Looking forward to the Hawk fixes in 2018 of course.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

So VEAO is not your main occupation? That explains why everything is taking "forever". It's a pity developing planes for a flight sim can't provide enough income to quit those "real life" jobs. :cry:

Looking forward to the Hawk fixes in 2018 of course.

Oh lord its not even close to enough haha.

Every one of the team works a full time job and works on Hawk and P-40 in their evenings and weekends around family time.

To be fair, a few of us are in well paid real life jobs so it would take alot of sales after the other costs and licences to make it viable to trust a house payment on DCS sales ;)

Pman

Oh lord its not even close to enough haha.

Every one of the team works a full time job and works on Hawk and P-40 in their evenings and weekends around family time.

To be fair, a few of us are in well paid real life jobs so it would take alot of sales after the other costs and licences to make it viable to trust a house payment on DCS sales wink.gif

Now this is a big reality check!

Thanks for sharing.

I guess I won't become a developer after all.........:D

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Nice update thanks

I have my fingers crossed that one day you will bring the Spitfire XIV back, should I keep them crossed or is it never gonna happen?

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

PMan,

Thanks for the updated information. As one who pre-ordered the P-40 I was intimately aware of the struggles you guys were having as ED keeps moving this genre' forward at a pretty respectable pace. Patience is a virtue and even though some lack such, many of us out here are willing to simply sit back and let those that provide us with our "escape" do what they do best. Looking forward to the P-40 whenever YOU decide it is ready. Am enjoying the Hawk currently and appreciate all the fixes that that little jewel has required. Take heart and keep on keeping on!

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Good to see that your still developing models with DCS,unlike other people on these fourms that think your giving up on this sim.I hope that you guys will still deliver the Hawker Sea Fury someday along with the other Hawker aircraft you planned in your roadmap later in the future.I still want to see a Hawker Typhoon as a flyable full model for the Normandy 44 map.

PMan,

Thanks for the updated information. As one who pre-ordered the P-40 I was intimately aware of the struggles you guys were having as ED keeps moving this genre' forward at a pretty respectable pace. Patience is a virtue and even though some lack such, many of us out here are willing to simply sit back and let those that provide us with our "escape" do what they do best. Looking forward to the P-40 whenever YOU decide it is ready. Am enjoying the Hawk currently and appreciate all the fixes that that little jewel has required. Take heart and keep on keeping on!

Eloquently said :thumbup:

Thanks for the update Ells and Pman

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Thanks for your answer, but I hope you will re-consider because the Hawk's specular layer (reflectiveness )looks pretty weird in 2.1 right now comparing to how it looks in 1.5.

ryBLqSA.png

HVh9htT.png

JKgNXKb.png

Cdyk8np.png

Does the Hawk have a Roughmet Map?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

real photos I took many years ago while in the USAF and supporting an air show. For some reason, it is not letting me attach more photos, maybe because they are already in other threads.... :huh:

Red_arrows1.pdf

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

photos Red Arrows

real photos I took many years ago while in the USAF and supporting an air show. For some reason, it is not letting me attach more photos, maybe because they are already in other threads.... :huh:

more photos I took of Red Arrows in Europe at Ramstein A.B. many years ago. this forum will not let me post more... I try... :cry:

<br />red_arrows3b.jpg<br /><br />red_arrows3b.jpg<br /><br />img photos<br /><br />red_arrows.jpg<br /><br />red_arrows4.jpg<br /><br />thm_red_arrows2.jpg<br /><br />thm_red_arrows4.jpg<br /><br />thm_Spitfire.jpg<br /><br />best image host<br />

Red_arrows2.pdf

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

I thought I'd give you abit of an update on how things are going with DCS at the moment.

With P-40 we have completed the conversion of P-40 to DCS 2.1 This was no small task for us as we had focused on development in 1.5.x so that we could expand functionality as far as we could as fast as we could.

So whats working and whats not on P-40 at the moment?

Well the good news is more is working than isn't working. Most of the essential systems are working and in high fidelity as well.

Systems such as the hydraulics are modeled in alot of detail. The gear and flaps operating procedures and methodology matches that of the manual and real life feedback very very closely. The electronic systems and battery systems again have all been modeled in extensive detail as well.

We felt that we needed to expand this functionality as much as we could as these aspects as they are core to the experience of the P-40's core systems.

Work on the engine has been extensively overhauled including the startup process which has a degree of chance built into it, ask any warbird pilot and starting something like this is never a precise science. You can do the same thing 10 times and it won't behave the same way each time, we have spent quite alot of time working to replicate this behavior, its not finished and is something we will have to continue tuning through the remaining dev process and probably into Beta.

Work on textures, for the whole module, is continuing.

Flight model wise, We had conducted extensive testing (Thank you to our two supertesters - you know who you are) with repetitive glide and climb tests, max speed testing, engine performance testing, roll rate confirmation etc etc - The list is extensive. Now we are in 2.1 we need to do some verification to make sure nothing has changed or fallen to the wayside.

The FM is now performing pretty much where we want it in/around the circuit and in the tests which we have data for are lining up with the sim performance now we have completed a few months of testing and tweaking. Ground handling etc is all working lovely and the aircraft is performing very close to feedback received from our warbird pilots and where tuning and amendments need to happen we have been working with them to produce a better FM for everyone.

Weapons are all working and things like convergence etc is being fine tuned but it all fundamentally works, its just tweaks at this point.

Issues outstanding are mainly the "End game" stuff, primarily failures and departure from flight tuning, so spins and stalling. We have a couple of more advanced features that we'd like to add to the module, we haven't decided if they will be added before or during Beta. More on those in the next couple of months.

Ok, So Hawk.

Yes there are issues, We have been stripping away alot of the legacy code (bear in mind some of it was written over 5 years ago!) This has taken some considerable time.

We have a list of things that we want to work over and continue expanding development on, Most of these items are known in the community anyway but include things like FM tuning, Damage model re-work (primarily effects and failures), electic system issues etc. We know and have been logging lists of things that need reworking.

The work on Hawk is extensive and to do a proper job on it we have to unpick more stitches then we would have preferred but those are the shakes and its not something we are shying away from.

So, all I can hear you asking now is When? I wish I could tell you with precision, all I can say at the moment is that P-40 is currently taking up alot of our time with the conversion to 2.1 and the changes and expansion I spoke about earlier. I expect us to spend more of the remainder of 2017 working on getting P-40 as close to Beta as we can.

Early in 2018 more attention will be diverted to Hawk while our testers go over the P-40 and start inundating us with bug reports (not too many I hope!) One thing we do hope to push to Hawk sooner rather than later is the new PBR cockpit textures.

I will try and post some screen grabs etc next week, maybe a video depending on how time goes, the real life job is mental at the moment, limiting the time I can spend on screen grabs etc over actual development work, but I will try.

We made no secret that a good portion of our attention has moved away from DCS. This does not mean that we have abandoned it, not at all.

The team behind P-40 and the majority of people continuing to work on DCS in general are and always will be DCS pilots and from the community. We will continue to do everything we can do continue furthering the development of the P-40, Hawk and then eventually Spitfire XIV.

I look forward to being able to show you more of P-40 and the Hawk re-works over the coming weeks/months.

As always myself and the entire VEAO family do appreciate your support and we will continue push ourselves to get P-40 to beta as soon as possible and to get the re-work of the Hawk done as soon as we possibly can.

Pman

First of all thank you for posting this Update ,Also the P-40 is coming along nicely and the Hawk seems to be a whole new Bird with the Updates and the Work and time you guys had been putting in,again thank you .