If possible in game music and cutscenes (campaign only)

carss

So I was playing this old Star Wars game and a couple of other old 90's games the other day. And I realized that the one thing that really makes these games so interactive and fun to play is the background in game music and the cut scenes that occurred at specific moments in the game.

This happens even in certain simulations too like Star Wars X-wing alliance where you have a story mode which is similar to a campaign mode. Or in Jane's Combat Simulations in their old 90's games like the F-15 or USAF etc, they had things like these that make a big difference in the gameplay.

So I was thinking why not (if possible only) add it to campaigns only and for each aircraft you can have a different type. Maybe their can be some proper story type campaigns with characters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

Even certain newer games like War Thunder for example have cutscenes and background in game music in them. That too is kinda treated like a sim.

IMHO in-game cut scenes would be a big departure from what DCS stands out for as a realistic sim platform :smilewink: I was actually thinking of the opposite, that more hardcore sim elements should be implemented like the need to actually turn the aircon on to keep the avionics (and your head!) from heating up, and the effects (or counter of) from wearing a G-suit, and other factors that may impact your performance as a pilot. Cut scenes would ruin the immersion, because they simply don't occur in real life. That's just me, I try to simulate RL experience, heck I even wear gloves, maybe I should buy a suit and hook it up to a blow dryer :laugh:

• 3 years later...
So I was playing this old Star Wars game and a couple of other old 90's games the other day. And I realized that the one thing that really makes these games so interactive and fun to play is the background in game music and the cut scenes that occurred at specific moments in the game.

This happens even in certain simulations too like Star Wars X-wing alliance where you have a story mode which is similar to a campaign mode. Or in Jane's Combat Simulations in their old 90's games like the F-15 or USAF etc, they had things like these that make a big difference in the gameplay.

So I was thinking why not (if possible only) add it to campaigns only and for each aircraft you can have a different type. Maybe their can be some proper story type campaigns with characters

I was thinking the same thing. I know that DCS is focused on being a simulator, however in regards to missions - having a trigger that could pause and cut to a scene (play a video file) - would open up a whole new world for how immersive it could be storyline wise.

Although I'm bias - I'm the sort of person that appreciates a game because of a good storyline as much as I do the graphics - but if it wasn't hard to implement a pause - play clip and then back into game when the clip was finished - this could open up a whole new lot of possibilities for storyline based missions.

It seems we can do this with Audio already (although without the pausing) through triggers. Just not video.