Spotting Distance... again - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
bell_rj

Exclamation Spotting Distance... again

I've been flying the F-14 today. It's absolutely epic. I've been going through the training missions and got to the AA missions and the awful spotting experience ruined it for me a bit. It shouldn't be that hard in a game to find an SU-25 that Jester is telling me is right in front of me.

I really do appreciate the improvements in comms over the last year but reading the regular updates on all the frequent Hornet fixes are making me somewhat bitter. Where are the frequent updates to the fundamental, core features?

WVR air combat should be the showcase of this game - it should be as epic an experience as launching the F-14 off the carrier to Meteor's soundtrack is. ED should be embarrassed by the current fitness for purpose of the spotting system and spotting should be up there on the highest priority list. It would be really great to hear Wags talk about this because frankly, hearing about the new shiny stuff is starting to wear very thin when core issues seemingly aren't being addressed.

Mods: This is not a bug report, or wishlist item, so please don't bury it in those subforums. I hope that Wags will pay it some attention instead.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
nighthawk2174

been like this since the start hopefully it'll change but i'm not holding my breath
nighthawk2174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
bell_rj

I know it's a longstanding issue, but I'm not convinced ED realise how impactful a problem it is on the enjoyment of the game. They should really - because Nineline has responded to posts about it. But where's the progress, or even some sort of comment from Wags?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
Borderline

Someone that finally says it loud
Borderline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #5
Borderline

There it comes the "l2p" guy
Borderline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
bell_rj

The "learn to get better at the game" argument can be permanently discounted as the dev's have already acknowledged the issue by enhancing label options not that long ago.

I would like to suggest an interim enhancement that would hopefully be fairly easy to implement. It would be good if labels could be set to disappear within a user configurable range. So I could have labels on to generally locate a target, and then once within guns distance the labels disappear.

Why bother with this you might ask? Well having a label obscuring part of an airframe when you have it in the crosshairs looks a bit ugly and immersion breaking so having it disappear automatically would be nice. Admittedly, I could press the key combo to turn them off but that's difficult when in combat and my HOTAS is out of buttons. Anyway, it's not a spotting fix - but something to make labels more flexible.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
Kongamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell_rj View Post
the awful spotting experience ruined it for me a bit. It shouldn't be that hard in a game to find an SU-25 that Jester is telling me is right in front of me.

spotting should be up there on the highest priority list. It would be really great to hear Wags talk about this because frankly, hearing about the new shiny stuff is starting to wear very thin when core issues seemingly aren't being addressed.
+1
Kongamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
SharpeXB

The trouble with this topic is that most of the “spotting” problems people have are the result of gameplay habits, inadequate hardware or the wrong settings. Or just unrealistic expectations. Devs can’t solvle any of that.

I personally experience great visibility in this sim. I can see and identify other aircraft very well.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
Kongamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
The trouble with this topic is that most of the “spotting” problems people have are the result of gameplay habits, inadequate hardware or the wrong settings. Or just unrealistic expectations. Devs can’t solvle any of that.

I personally experience great visibility in this sim. I can see and identify other aircraft very well.
Not everybody have a 32" 4K monitor as you have, according your firm. If a monitor of 80 cm. ultra HD is a recommended requisit for this simulator in order of seeing and identify other planes in the distance, DCS should say it.
Kongamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
Shahdoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell_rj View Post
The "learn to get better at the game" argument can be permanently discounted as the dev's have already acknowledged the issue by enhancing label options not that long ago.

I would like to suggest an interim enhancement that would hopefully be fairly easy to implement. It would be good if labels could be set to disappear within a user configurable range. So I could have labels on to generally locate a target, and then once within guns distance the labels disappear.

Why bother with this you might ask? Well having a label obscuring part of an airframe when you have it in the crosshairs looks a bit ugly and immersion breaking so having it disappear automatically would be nice. Admittedly, I could press the key combo to turn them off but that's difficult when in combat and my HOTAS is out of buttons. Anyway, it's not a spotting fix - but something to make labels more flexible.

It IS possible to configure the label to disappear at a set range. The ranges identified in the lua are the stopping point for that configuration of visibility.

With a line like this:
Spoiler:
Code:
AirFormat = {
--[distance]    = {format, alignment, color_blending_k, opacity, shift_in_pixels_x, shift_in_pixels_y}
[860]   = {"", "CenterCenter", .01, .01, 0, 0},

This sets the label to be blank UP TO 860 meters (about half a mile). Then after that, you have your lines setting the visibility parameters that you wish up to those established ranges.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote