ATC Comms problems

hepmehepme

I've searched on here and I see way back in 2011 that people used to have trouble getting ATC to respond. I'm having the same issue.

I tried a Single free flight mission starting on the ramp. I also tried the Aircraft Startup training mission just to make sure I wasn't missing steps.

For both, I'm up and running with APU on, AC generators on, radios on.

For Batumi in the training mission I'm tuned to 131 MHz

For Senaki-Kolkhi in the free flight mission I'm tuned to 132 MHz.

Easy Comms are on.

When I access the ATC menu in the free flight mission /, F5, all the airports are blacked out. If I request Engine start from Senaki, ATC never responds. For the training mission, none of the airbases are blacked out but Batumi ATC also never responds. Still on Easy Comms.

I also tried it on the first mission of the Georgian Hammer Campaign. There the airbases are still blacked out but Batumi ATC does respond. This seems like a bug. I only tried it once in the campaign so far so I don't know if the issue is intermittent or if it works on some missions and not on others. Does anybody else have problems with this and is there a solution? Thanks for the help.

I'd highly recommend to turn off the Comm Assist and the Easy Comm options.

Last time when I used the assists they were buggy. Don't know for now but it's quite a while. With the assists turned off it works fine for me.

Oh, I think at the NTTR comms are still bit bugged even without assist. When you ask for take-off clearance ATC won't reply until you're on the runway spooling your engines up. Rest is good.

Just learn to master the Comm Systems as like the rest of the systems. I swear you'll love it then. Comms are one of the easier topics. Just bind your keys right.

I know there's so much to cover in the beginning but it's just a recommendation - learn to do and to handle things right from the scratch.

If you start flying online with no radio assists you'll regret not to know your radios and continously call the JTAC for take-off clearance i.e. ...just an expierence :music_whistling:

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Easy comms are off. The kicker is, sometimes ATC responds only to a particular band. I.e. I set VHF AM to 131.00, UHF to 260.00 and VHF FM to 40.400, the I might get them responding on, let's say, UHF. Then I restart the mission then they will only respond on VHF FM.

The problem is not just ATC. If I sit on the ground with the Hog running and radios on, and tune to AWACS, I can see the text messages from AWACS in the top left, but not hear them on comms.

Are you using the correct mic switch position? Above the radio menu there should be indicated on what radio you are sending. Make sure it's the correct one

Yup using the correct comms switch. Did a lot of troubleshooting, double checked the freqs, bade sure the correct radio is being used in the menu.

First, I agree about Easy Comms, just get rid of it. Radios are just another tool in the toolset of a pilot, and since they're really basic and work alike in most aircraft, I'd recommend learning them sooner rather than later.

As a bonus, when you go online and the server wants you to use something like Simple Radio Standalone, it's only going to be a new program to run, but there'll be no new procedures at all in regards to how the radios operate (except setting up push to talk or voice activation. Well, and brevity, but that's a whole other can of worms. Basically, tuning freqs and using the correct radios shouldn't be new to players once they've learned that, and SRS requires a lot of tuning freqs and using the correct radios ;)).

For both, I'm up and running with APU on, AC generators on, radios on.

That's not much help. ;)

The APU doesn't provide electric power per se; for that to work the APU Generator needs to be on as well.

The AC Generators on the other hand are powered by the left and right engines.

So basically you're saying you probably have battery and inverter on, which only powers the UHF radio. Is your problem somehow related to the VHF AM and FM radios? :music_whistling:

In any case, uploading a track is usually a big help; that way we can virtually look over your shoulder. :thumbup: