X-axis going wild

funkyfranky

Ladies and Gentleman,

my VKB Gunfighter has a serious issue with the x-axis. Smooth physical deflections of the stick lead to heavy oscillations/jumping in the output which makes flying basically impossible.

It is only the x-axis that is affected. The y-axis is fine. I found in the VKB forum a few threads of people with the very same issue.

So far I tried a new firmware, currently running v1.960 (I'm using the TM Warthog stick) and re-calibrating several times. All to no avail unfortunately.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

Edited by funkyfranky

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I have 2 and have seen this behaviour in both of mine the mobile one does it all the time but I find if I move it around a lot before I start it seems to settle down and then is fine for my Flying. The permanent one exhibited this behaviour once. I exercised it for a couple of minutes did a recalibration and it's been fine since. If after exercising it and doing a recalibration you can't get it to settle down I would video the problem and send it to VKB the x-axis board is pretty easy to replace as my very 1st one went out completely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I had a similar behavior of my Gunfighter and wiggling it about a lot also made it better after a while.

Pretty much looked like in the first post in the thread below and the solution in the second post solved it for me so far.

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3235

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

Thanks for that I will try that on my mobile base .

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Thanks guys! I'll try to reconnect the plug - it looks exactly the same for me as in the post you quote, ams999. I'll report back. Good luck to you as well WindyTX!

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

Alright, looks like I'm back in the game. I unplugged and re-plugged every connector I could get hold of. So far it's looking good. X-axis is smooth again. Hopefully, the issue is gone for good.

Well if it starts again We now know how to fix it

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Are females allowed to comment ;)

Me culpa, adjusted the first post :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like this is a pretty common problem I have to exercise my x axis a lot and sometimes it's still twitchy even with pulling the plug and re inserting it.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I also have a WH grip on a VKB base, a little while ago after numerous unsuccessful attempts at cleaning connections and rebooting the firmware, I walked the firmware back to the version that I got when I first had the stick working and it instantly settled down perfectly. Prior to that I had to re-calibrate once or twice every DCS session.

• 2 weeks later...

Issue came back for a 4th time for me last night. C'mon VKB, my $100 rudder pedals have had no issues for 7 years

i7-4790k stock 4.4 / gtx 980ti / 16gb ram / 256gb ssd (os) / 256gb ssd for apps / Acer XB27OHU 27" g-sync

• 3 weeks later...

This is somewhat of an... ahem... ''annoying'' issue. It does force a preflight controls check, though )) of course, if you spawn in air you're screeeeewed

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Have you tried adjusting dry clutch to see if this changes anything? I haven’t had any problem with mine but I only use it occasionally.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

i have been having the same issue and i know of 2 other guys with exactly the same issue , the problem happens only to the X-Axis it twitches to far right once i touch the X-Axis even if i dont deflect it that far . i found that the reason behind it and i could be wrong is the the plug for the X axis gets strained by the movement of the gimbal , If you take the gimbal out and move the stick around you will see what i mean , so far i re seated the plug back in its position and it reduced the issue to almost none for a while till it came back again last week i had to re seat it again

Every few months or so, I will have an axis get wonky, or sometimes just disappear, in my Gunfighter Pro Mk I with MCG Pro grip. Sometimes even some buttons disappear.

All I have to do is remove the stick with extension from the base, then re-insert it , and all is well again. Not sure why that happens, and it is not very often at all, but usually after a few months it will do it again.

It happened again yesterday, I loaded up a fight and my Y axis was all messed up - took off and the plane entered a hard bank to left and had to hold practically

full right to try and keep it level. Exited the game and took a look, sure enough it had happened again. Brake axis also had completely disappeared.

Thankfully it only happens rarely, probably a couple of times a year.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Got the exact same problem, resolved by opening the base, unplugging and re-plugging the x-axis connector, easy as that thumbup.gif. Perhaps it comes loose with time due to the internal movements.

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus

And here we go again :( Everything was fine since I re-plugged the connectors. Now two months later the issue starts to come back. Not yet as pronounced but I reckon that will will come.

Anyone opened a support ticked about this issue or can tell me the best way to do it? Is anyone from VKB following these forums and make a comment on this problem?

This is not really what I expected from such a high quality piece of hardware.

Please get registered at VKB home forum, and check out these guidelines.

Then post a support request, and help will come.

Roger, wilco :thumbup:

For now, I did the un-plug & re-plug trick and it solved it again - for now. But I reckon this gives me just another two-three months before I have to do it again.

Still a great product. You have any idea what is causing this issue? Only logical explanation I have is that due to the movement, some connectors get slightly loose as others have mentioned already. But that is just a guess, of course.