TM Warthog questions. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
Sydy

Question TM Warthog questions.

Hi guys,

I hope you guys are well and willing to help. I'm gonna use your knowledge.

I got my TM Warthog and I am looking forward to use it. I got it in USA, went to Bahamas, Germany, Italy, Portugal and now I am on the way to Brazil carrying this thing! LOL (pretty heavy)!

Anyway, when I get back there (tomorrow), I would like to know the best course of action. So here goes the questions:

1- After I remove the CH stick and throttle (I will use it's pedal for now), do I have to install any driver?

2- Does TARGET software worth it? I like to program my own settings in the CH Manager, but I don't know anything about TM software. I was thinking about using Polaris' profiles on the beginning.

3- If I use the TARGET software to customize to each acft, is it possible to change the acft profile while inside DCS or do I have to close DCS and then change the profile?

I thank you in advance for any help. Once I'm at home I will add the serial number to the post database.

All the best and thank you!

Sydy
Sydy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
QuiGon
Veteran

1) Yes, there are drivers that should (need to?) be installed.
2) No, it's not.
3) No, AFAIK it's not possible to change it without restarting DCS, which is the reason for my answer to question 2.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 07-10-2017 at 12:51 PM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydy View Post
Hi guys,

I hope you guys are well and willing to help. I'm gonna use your knowledge.

I got my TM Warthog and I am looking forward to use it. I got it in USA, went to Bahamas, Germany, Italy, Portugal and now I am on the way to Brazil carrying this thing! LOL (pretty heavy)!

Anyway, when I get back there (tomorrow), I would like to know the best course of action. So here goes the questions:

1- After I remove the CH stick and throttle (I will use it's pedal for now), do I have to install any driver?

2- Does TARGET software worth it? I like to program my own settings in the CH Manager, but I don't know anything about TM software. I was thinking about using Polaris' profiles on the beginning.

3- If I use the TARGET software to customize to each acft, is it possible to change the acft profile while inside DCS or do I have to close DCS and then change the profile?

I thank you in advance for any help. Once I'm at home I will add the serial number to the post database.

All the best and thank you!

Sydy
1: Yes, the TM Drivers.
https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/...taswarthog-en/

2: TARGET software is very powerful in what it can do, as a result it also can be a little overwhelming. There are two software packages, the GUI mode, and the Script Editor. The Script Editor being the most powerful, but most complex to use. I suggest grabbing both the GUI Manual and Script Editor Manual, pouring yourself a large drink and having a good read over them - multiple times.
Having said that, I myself have been getting away from using TARGET, as I find the controller setup menu especially in DCS to be more than sufficient for my needs.

3: Not 100% sure, but I "think" yes you will need to exit DCS to stop and start a new profile in TARGET.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

1) not sure, check the website
2) Target is great - you really need this in order to get full functionality out of all switches.
3) No. But you don't need to. Set up a profile for yourself, then assign those assignments to your profiles in DCS. E.g. there is a 3 way switch, you assign the positions to A,S,D in Target. Then you go to DCS and assign A, S, D, to whatever you like.

"The Big Show" Spitfire Mk.IX Campaign
"Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" P-51D Campaign
"Jagdflieger" Bf-109K-4 Campaign
My Music
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Sydy

Thank you guys!!! You are fast!!!

Keep it coming, the more point of views, the easier will be to evaluate my steps!

Edit: Just got target manual to read during the flight back home...

Tks in advance!!!

Sydy

Last edited by Sydy; 07-10-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: update...
Old 07-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
BigDuke6ixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
1) not sure, check the website
2) Target is great - you really need this in order to get full functionality out of all switches.
3) No. But you don't need to. Set up a profile for yourself, then assign those assignments to your profiles in DCS. E.g. there is a 3 way switch, you assign the positions to A,S,D in Target. Then you go to DCS and assign A, S, D, to whatever you like.
2. So I'm not getting all the A-10 functions because I don't use Targshit? Hmmmm
BigDuke6ixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:24 AM   #7
some1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6ixx View Post
2. So I'm not getting all the A-10 functions because I don't use Targshit? Hmmmm
It's not a problem with target, but with limited DCS controls mapping and unwillingness of the devs (esp 3rd party) to write proper lua config files. Same with other joysticks, most of them map 2-3 position switches the same way.
A-10 already has dedicated Warthog mappings so you're good without target, but other aircraft are mixed bag.

Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Rift S
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
A-10 already has dedicated Warthog mappings so you're good without target, but other aircraft are mixed bag.
Unless start yourself do the need LUA code changes for 3 positions switches work like in A-10 profile - changes that the next patch will erase.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
cichlidfan
Veteran

The problem with aircraft, other than the A-10C, controls and the Warthog switches is that the switch (whether it is a two or three position switch) does not send out a DX signal in one of it's positions because that position is an open circuit. This means that, for most in game controls, you cannot map that position to anything without using Target or modifying the lua file to allow for it.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
Sydy

After all that info... I got in a crossroad...

I do like QuiGon idea of not having to close DCS to fly different aircrafts, but at the same time I would like to use all functionalities of the stick and throttle...

I think will try mapping it directly in DCS first...

All the best,

Sydy

Tags
joystick, target, thrustmaster, warthog