Problems with Windows 10 1809 update

Hello fellow armchair pilots, I come to you hat in hand for an utterly maddening Windows 10 problem that appears to be unique to me and my system based on what I’ve read in the forums concerning performance in the 1803, 1809 and 1903 updates. What I read was that 1803 was a poor performer, but that performance was more or less restored with 1809/1903.

It’s the exact opposite for me. 1803 is for the most part buttery smooth with high settings, but every single time Microsoft shoves an 1809 update down my throat I’ve had to re-image my machine back to 1803 to reclaim smooth performance again.

Here’s the problem… When taxiing on the tarmac, 1803 is super smooth, no issues. With 1809 and doing the same thing, I get this weird “surging” or lag effect for lack of a better way to describe it. It’s not like a stutter where frames are skipped. It’s more like display output slows down a bit and then speeds up again to catch up to where it should be, but in a smoother fashion than what we see with stutter, roughly at about one second intervals on average but it varies. Total immersion kill. I re-image my machine back to 1803 and all is well again, and this exact same scenario has played out the last three or four times Microsoft has thrown 1809 in my face. Needless to say, I’m completely fed up with Microsoft’s “we know what’s best for you” big brother bull crap.

I wish I had some way of showing the behavior, but I suspect a trk file will likely play fine on another computer.

After takeoff I don’t notice it as much and things seem to smooth out again while in the air. Sometimes after I land, that smoothness persists while rolling on the ground, other times not. However, it happens after restarting DCSW every time.

I’ve done a clean install of 1809 from disk and a clean install of DCSW (HOURS worth of work) and both resulted in the same behavior until I go back to 1803. Also tried with Windows "Game Mode" set on and off.

I guess all I’m asking at this point, for my own personal sanity, is whether anyone else experienced similar issues with 1809? Or is it just me?

All I know to do now is maybe try and force the 1903 download and see if that resolves the problem. Any other suggestions you guys might have would certainly be welcomed. This has been driving me nuts for months now.

Edited by GeneralDynamics

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

• ED Team

I am on 1809 at the moment and it has been fine for me. I use game mode for DCS.

I never really had an issues with windows 10, might have just been lucky I suppose.

I will wait for windows to send me the next update, I like to give it a few weeks and see what the word on the street is.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm using version 1903 with no problems since two months. But I had no problems with 1809 either.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Is your motherboard BIOS and video card driver up-to-date? Your issue might be connected to the Spectre and Meltdown Windows patch, without an updated BIOS.

Try putting 1903 on a USB drive, wipe and install fresh (delete all boot drive partitions). Install video driver and leave default settings.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

Thanks so much for the replies, gents. What you've reported is consistent with what I've read on the forums regarding 1809/1903. I'm at nVidia driver 431.36 which I believe is the latest. I updated my bios a few months ago if I recall, but I'll see if there's a newer version available. A clean install of 1903 might do the trick, but I had already been down that road with 1809, spent hours getting everything reconfigured, and all for naught. I don't relish rebuilding everything from scratch again, but I may have to bite the bullet and give 1903 a shot.

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

If you STILL have an issue after a fresh 1903, clean rollback video driver to 399.24 which is very last for Pascal. I updated to latest but I still don't trust it.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

Current 1903 with all updates and fps couldnt be better. Smooth and no stutter

NV is 430.86

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

NV 431.36 on 1903, GSync @144hz and still getting stutters at times....

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Hello fellow armchair pilots, I come to you hat in hand for an utterly maddening Windows 10 problem that appears to be unique to me and my system based on what I’ve read in the forums concerning performance in the 1803, 1809 and 1903 updates. What I read was that 1803 was a poor performer, but that performance was more or less restored with 1809/1903.

It’s the exact opposite for me. 1803 is for the most part buttery smooth with high settings, but every single time Microsoft shoves an 1809 update down my throat I’ve had to re-image my machine back to 1803 to reclaim smooth performance again.

Here’s the problem… When taxiing on the tarmac, 1803 is super smooth, no issues. With 1809 and doing the same thing, I get this weird “surging” or lag effect for lack of a better way to describe it. It’s not like a stutter where frames are skipped. It’s more like display output slows down a bit and then speeds up again to catch up to where it should be, but in a smoother fashion than what we see with stutter, roughly at about one second intervals on average but it varies. Total immersion kill. I re-image my machine back to 1803 and all is well again, and this exact same scenario has played out the last three or four times Microsoft has thrown 1809 in my face. Needless to say, I’m completely fed up with Microsoft’s “we know what’s best for you” big brother bull crap.

I wish I had some way of showing the behavior, but I suspect a trk file will likely play fine on another computer.

After takeoff I don’t notice it as much and things seem to smooth out again while in the air. Sometimes after I land, that smoothness persists while rolling on the ground, other times not. However, it happens after restarting DCSW every time.

I’ve done a clean install of 1809 from disk and a clean install of DCSW (HOURS worth of work) and both resulted in the same behavior until I go back to 1803. Also tried with Windows "Game Mode" set on and off.

I guess all I’m asking at this point, for my own personal sanity, is whether anyone else experienced similar issues with 1809? Or is it just me?

All I know to do now is maybe try and force the 1903 download and see if that resolves the problem. Any other suggestions you guys might have would certainly be welcomed. This has been driving me nuts for months now.

Man I am having exactly the same problem..for a fraction of second everything seem to be slow down....it really kills the immersion....

you could try this one and check the results, what are your pc specs?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Thanks so much for the replies, gents. What you've reported is consistent with what I've read on the forums regarding 1809/1903. I'm at nVidia driver 431.36 which I believe is the latest. I updated my bios a few months ago if I recall, but I'll see if there's a newer version available. A clean install of 1903 might do the trick, but I had already been down that road with 1809, spent hours getting everything reconfigured, and all for naught. I don't relish rebuilding everything from scratch again, but I may have to bite the bullet and give 1903 a shot.

Have you tried ProcessLasso a shot? It may be that it's jumping around cores and causing issues?

I'm assuming you

1) have paging file set to auto

2) running on SSD

3) deleted the meta and shader directories to rebuild them

4) told AV not to scan DCS and SAVED GAMES dir to see if it makes a difference.

BTW, what mission is this? Or was it on a multiplayer server?

I've had zero issues with 1809. 1903 had a WMR bug so I reverted to 1809 until the fix came out (two weeks ago). So now I'm back on 1903.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I wouldn't say it's useless, but for a 8700k/Z170-Z390 its not needed.

for X99 and X299 chipsets it can safe your a$$. :) ..many times proven in this forum last ~3 years

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

My apologies, guys – I wasn’t ignoring your suggestions, but rather work has required 14 – 16 hour days this last week.

So here’s what I’ve tried thus far:

1. Updated BIOS to latest release. Default settings, no OC.

2. Clean install of W10 1903 from Media Creation Tool flash drive, let Windows install the drivers it wants.

3. Sound card drivers were not installed by Windows, so downloaded and installed the latest.

4. Clean download and install of DCSW Open Beta and modules on bare bones system, no mods, no USB devices connected other than keyboard and mouse.

5. Started DCSW, FA-18C “Ready on the Ramp” instant action mission, Caucuses. SAME PROBLEM! *sigh*

6. Installed all latest drivers for motherboard and peripherals, including nvme SSD driver and graphics card.

7. Started DCSW, same mission, still crap.

8. Rolled back graphics driver to 430.86 Studio version, that according to nVidia is much more thoroughly tested than Game Ready Drivers, and are designed for use by professionals. (Unable to find the 399 release someone suggested on nVidia’s site.)

9. Started DCSW, same mission, same issue.

10. Disabled all onboard devices not in use in BIOS, no help.

11. Game Mode on, Game Mode off, added DCS.exe to Windows Graphics Settings, set to “High Performance. No difference.

11. Threw up my hands, cursing violently, re-imaged machine back to 1803.

12. Started DCSW, same mission. SMOOTH… AS… SILK…

GRRRRRR! What the hell, guys??? After all this, I still had the same “surging”, laggy performance as all the other times that Microsoft has deemed it necessary for me to endure another W10 1809/1903 enema. I’ve developed a nagging twitch in my right eye, accompanied by a high-pitched, maniacal giggle not unlike that of Chief Inspector Dreyfus from the Pink Panther movie series (Peter Sellers versions.)

I’ve tried Process Lasso before, but it ended up being detrimental to my performance as some have suggested might occur.

For those that asked about my system specs, they’re in the spoiler below.

The bottom line as I see it, is that Microsoft has introduced something in the 1809/1903 W10 releases that does not play well with my system. Period. Maybe my system was already on the edge performance-wise, and Microsoft added just enough fluff in 1809/1903 to push my system just over that edge. I have no idea what to do to fix it at this point other than disabling Windows updates so I remain at 1803, and I’m only going to be able to do that until November when 1803 is no longer supported.

Maybe I’ll try again at some point and take an even deeper dive into troubleshooting, and short of that, I’m certainly willing to entertain any additional suggestions or revelations you guys might have, so if you think of something don’t hesitate to post it here. Until I hear anything new to try, I’m just going to fly and enjoy my system as it is until I’m no longer able.

Thanks again to all of you for your kindness and consideration!

System Specs:

You can always stick with 1803 until a patch or future update comes for 1903.

I have the same CPU, but different GPU and have had no issues (other than the WMR issue for VR).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You can always stick with 1803 until a patch or future update comes for 1903.

I have the same CPU, but different GPU and have had no issues (other than the WMR issue for VR).

And that's the other thing, many of you guys are running VR without issue, and my testing was done on a single 1920 x 1080 display without using the second screen I normally use for Helios. Then I go back to 1803 where I can run 2 such displays without issue.

I remember some time back on my previous PC build I had similar performance issues with Crysis 3 that acted the exact same way, not a stutter, but the graphics output would slow down and then lurch forward repeatedly. It ended up being that buffering was turned off on the SATA SSD I was using at the time and was not a graphics issue at all. Turned on buffering and Crysis was super smooth. However, there does not appear to be a way to control buffering for the nvme PCIE SSD I'm using now. And even if I could, why do things work fine in 1803 and not 1903?

My gut tells me that this also is not a graphics subsystem issue because of nature of the behavior. Then on the other hand, my Titan X Pascal is getting a little long in the tooth and perhaps it has issues with the newer versions of W10. I just don't know. And that "not knowing" is what prevents me from investing big $$$ in a 20 series card. Do any of you guys have a RTX 2080 Ti you could loan me to test with? Just kidding:-)

System Specs:

Man I am having exactly the same problem..for a fraction of second everything seem to be slow down....it really kills the immersion....

Now that I mentioned that similar behavior I've seen in the past was SSD related, I see some commonality in our systems, Goa. You use a Samsung 970 EVO NVME SSD, I use a Samsung 960 Pro NVME SSD. Hmmmmm, I wonder...

Are any of you other folks with good performance using Samsung NVME SSDs?

Edit: Going back and looking at everyone's specs, I see several of you are using Samsung 9xx NVME SSDs, so I guess that's not the issue, either.

System Specs:

I use Samsung SSD's in every one of my systems, in fact, I only use Samsung whereever I have to add a SSD.

My OS drive is a 970 Evo 256GB, newest firmware, newest Samsung NVMe driver

My DCS is installed on a pair of Samsung 850 Pro#s 256GB in Raid-0

My Swapfile drive is a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

All my other PC's but the Mac have 850 Pro 256GB

No issues so far.

It could be related to gsnyc monitor technology..

just use google to search gsync nvidia stutters and win 1809/1903

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Use this link to check and enable/disable spectre & meltdown

Gibson Research Company: https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

*one of the better websites on the net

I don't believe DCS has enough IOPS for spectre/meltdown fixes to affect it. I saw zero difference before and after adding the hot fix.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

1903 here. No problems at all.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Problems with Windows 10 1809 update

I saw zero difference before and after adding the hot fix.

same here. both at home and at work.

the hysteria has been great, but it doesn’t affect many users. when it does, it’s only noticeable on certain workloads.

As a side note, I haven't been able for a couple of months now to reach the Windows Update Servers during my attempts to update my Windows 10. Is that's a known issue? I believe I am stuck on 1809 - and since then any update attempts time out because of aforementioned issue of not reaching the update servers....

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

As a side note, I haven't been able for a couple of months now to reach the Windows Update Servers during my attempts to update my Windows 10. Is that's a known issue? I believe I am stuck on 1809 - and since then any update attempts time out because of aforementioned issue of not reaching the update servers....

Type this in google: win10 iso download

The first link shown is MS Official DL page.

There. either choose to upgrade "This PC", which I would maybe not do in your case but

download the Media Creation Tool from the 2nd choice, run it and let it prepare a USB Stick for

you ( or DVD ). Then, use that Media to upgrade your machine. No MS Update page needed.

If all goes well you will have 1903 installed in less than 30min and your MS Updates should work again.

This is the site, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ONLY for US-ENGLISH !!!