We Were Soldiers Once… and Young Mission

Nice update. Will test in the next days.

MP testing on Saturday, if we get enough people.

Thanks Shagrat, and thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

I could do with your advice on the fixed-wing elements. I've prepped the Skyraider flight with 50% fuel, cluster bombs and WP rockets. That seems Vietnam era to me to represent Phantoms and B-52s, but I generally only fly rotors. I don't even have the F-5E module. I was wondering if F-86s would be a useful addition, for fixed-wing pilots.

I added MiG-15s for Vietnam to balance it out, just in case someone wants a real epic.

Edited by R3DL1N3

Commit Aviation!

Thanks Shagrat, and thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

I could do with your advice on the fixed-wing elements. I've prepped the Skyraider with 50% fuel, cluster bombs and WP rockets. That seems Vietnam era to me to represent Phantoms and B-52s, but I generally only fly rotors. I don't even have the F-5E module. I was wondering if F-86s would be a useful addition, for fixed-wing pilots.

I added MiG-15s for Vietnam to balance it out, just in case someone wants a real epic.

F-86 Sabre with the rockets is a nice addition. Maybe better balanced.

I would suggest to advise people not to go with all assets at once.

If you have the F-5E in, it packs a punch, but if you do not know precisely, where the bad guys hide, it is more spray 'n' pray with the rockets.

For balance you could add more air defense / AAA to the end of the canyon, denying the Hueys a clear path IF(!) F-5Es are present.

That would require the F-5 to eliminate the AAA first, keeping the Helos at the LZ and forward canyon...

Even if it is not perfectly Nam era, its ground capabilities are close to Nam era planes (where is my napalm? :D )

The whole idea was not to lock out our fixed wing guys from that cool mission. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

F-86 Sabre with the rockets is a nice addition. Maybe better balanced.

I would suggest to advise people not to go with all assets at once.

If you have the F-5E in, it packs a punch, but if you do not know precisely, where the bad guys hide, it is more spray 'n' pray with the rockets.

For balance you could add more air defense / AAA to the end of the canyon, denying the Hueys a clear path IF(!) F-5Es are present.

That would require the F-5 to eliminate the AAA first, keeping the Helos at the LZ and forward canyon...

Even if it is not perfectly Nam era, its ground capabilities are close to Nam era planes (where is my napalm? :D )

The whole idea was not to lock out our fixed wing guys from that cool mission. ;)

Cheers Shagrat. Great ideas. I've incorporated them into version 0.4. Changes as follows:

• Three extra AAA units, spawned when Skyraiders come alive
  • Added three-element Checkertail flight
  • Added F-86F Checkertails to briefing
  • Pretend the MiG-15s are Chinese Shenyang J-5s

Commit Aviation!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Any chance for a Caucasus version for people without Nevada?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 3 months later...

Reply related to a caucasus version

I noticed in previous post that a proper location on Caucasus had been hard to find.

I took the liberty to transition the mission content onto the Caucasus region.

Note that I am not taking any credit for this mission out of respect for the creators.

But nonetheless here is a proposition for the Caucasus map. It has plenty of valleys between mountain tops and has rivers to follow.

WZx6can.jpg

iLVZjDQ.jpg

On that note I have experienced that the infantry isn't loading onto the Huey when landing close to them for pickup. Maybe it is related to the recent change to ground based vehicles which infantry is a part of. Basically infantry is going nowwhere being close together, just spins around their own axis. This has been notified to ED -> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=283536

I dunno, but just a thought. Great mission that seem to need some more love for it to work properly.

Infantry unit 1 runs around the tents and then stops (view second image below).

p9EQ1oo.png

TuOCqNT.png

PC: Good enough for running DCS flawlessly on high end settings :thumbup:

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

Slaw Device Rudder Pedals

Trackhat Headtracker

Some scenery images of the area :)

FOB in the center of the image. The AO in the background.

hrL4xXo.png

Halfway through the flight path view south.

9KryqsR.png

Halfway through the flight path view north.

SnusGnY.png

Trackhat Headtracker

Caucasus video preview

Streamed a flight session as showcase (unfortunately no sound got recorded at the time).

Edited by NoFear1979

Trackhat Headtracker

Version 1.0 of We Were Soldiers Once... And Young

I've posted version 1.0 to the User Files section of DCS. There are lots of improvements and changes. Switching to the Caucasus map being the primary change. Minor changes as follows.

- No mini-guns on the slicks

- Fix parking places

- 3,000-strong VPA division

- 6am start

- Early dawn, more fog, more aggression

- Updated description, including TL;DR

- Match blue to red buls

- SetFrequency and TransmitMessage for 31 FM beacon

- Score reports Cav and VPA maximums

- LZ X-ray changed to EJ83; groundTurbulence increased

- Blue/Red airbases changed to Gudauta and Maykop

- Light fog

- Airbase alignments

- New random dynamic weather

- Enable dust

- Month of June

- Fixed-wing start in air, pre-equipped; (x, y) location adjustments for Caucasus terrain; warehouses updated

- Switch to Caucasus theatre; LM30

- Remove redundant array-table indices

- Elide redundant difficulty options

Most of the changes were made two years ago. Sorry about the delay in updating the forums and user files. This version is currently running on multiplayer server R3DL1N3.alfa if you want to give it a test (6 September 2020). SRS auto-connect available on that server. I've checked the embarking/disembarking functionality. It works with the latest DCS, version 2.5.6.54046.

You can find the sources for the mission on GitHub.

Kind regards, Redline

Commit Aviation!

• 1 year later...

Copy/Pasting my comment from the files section.  😉

Really enjoying this mission.  Now to check out Huey Down.  My group is in a Huey phase so it is time to do my homework that has not been done since 2017  lol
--------------------

This mission has been kicking around my hard drive literally for years.  I finally started flying it this weekend in the latest openBeta and it is awesome!  A nice quick and dirty mission that lasts as long as you want it to with a good diversity in how to fly it.

One thing that I had to discover was that the embark/disembark is tied to opening your PILOT door as opposed to the crew doors.  Not a big deal at all.  The briefing and screenshots could use an update.  The LZ is East not West now that it is in the Caucasus.  

Well done!