Just so disappointed with server numbers

Zimmerdylan

Yes....this is one of those pesky "Whining" threads. But not what you think.:cry:

I am very disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm (or seemingly) I see in the servers for the Normandy map. Between NTTR and Normandy, the combined server list for both of them isn't but a fraction of the size and population of the Caucasus map. And of the short 2.1 server list, the Normandy servers are usually empty in most cases.

I love the Normandy map. Although I only fly WWII planes on it, I see all of the other modules flying around there. But it gets a bit lonely there because I do not encounter a lot of traffic on the Normandy map.

I'm just curious so please indulge me on this. Why aren't you flying the Normandy map on line?

I'm guessing that one of the following reasons apply here:

1. You do not own the map

2. The lack of a dedicated server on the part of ED (and yes, of course....the whole purchasing two copies to run a server problem)

3. Too small

4. I've heard some call it boring

5. Doesn't run well on your system, or you are waiting for it to be updated to a better status

6. Immersion factor not there

To me, Normandy is a perfectly fun map but I know that people have perfectly good reasons not to be flying it. I would really just like to know what some of them are.

Thanks

Edited by Zimmerdylan

7. Requires a separate DCS install. Same reason there's almost no Nevada servers.

8. The alpha branch is not available on steam, thus cutting of a large part of the (online) DCS userbase

Don't expect any increase in numbers until "the great unification merge" 2.5 :)

Edited by CrashO

I bought the map instantly on release. Have yet to use it. I'm also not online in DCS at the moment, my last login to a server being months ago at least.

The split in versions is an issue and one of the reasons why my DCS time dropped. I'd rather have everything in one spot. As Caucasus is oldest map with all of my missions, in the stable branch of DCS, and the largest map, I naturally spend most of my time there.

Normandy with WWII aircraft is very appealing, but not something that will drag me away from the rest of the game. I have been getting back into DCS lately and even making missions, so I might pop up online at some point to give it a try. My focus at the moment is the F-5 though, not WWII aircraft. I do need to try the Spitfire however.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• ED Team

In total there are 126 servers online 1.5.6 and 2.1 at the time of this post ( afternoon gmt )

32 of them are 2.1 servers

Multiplayer just isn't as popular as single player, but I think numbers will increase when the merge happens

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

... I just curious so please indulge me on this. Why aren't you flying the Normandy map on line?

I'm guessing that one of the following reasons apply here:

1. You do not own the map

2. The lack of a dedicated server on the part of ED

3. Too small

4. I've heard some call it boring

5. Doesn't run well on your system, or you are waiting for it to be updated to a better status

At least on my case, I've had the map for just two weeks and while I have all the WW2 planes, I havent really flown them until now, so I'm still learning to fly them and perfecting my WW2 flying skills ... in single player mode .. no point on going onto a Server just to be shot down immediately :D

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

From my perspective: the offering for WW2 environment is still pretty basic, server wise. (issues 3,4 and 6)

We're still stuck with essentially dog-fight servers running very limited mission settings, with a small number of spawn bases little-to-no sensible AI and 24/7 blue-skies (no wind).

This is basically the situation we had in Caucasus, except now it looks better.

Until the online mission provision improves, Multiplayer isn't providing much more of a draw than it did in 1.5.

Some more ground assets and improvements to the suitability of the B17s should help here, provided mission makers take advantage of what ED are providing...

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

"Exploring mission potential"

I've had crashes, performance issues to work through, there's still a lack of assets to make anything well rounded. The tank combat is cough very one-sided (Mr Tiger, i'm looking at you) so requires balancing. I've been writing missions and disregarding them because they are either boring or the complexity breaks something. Flak explosions bring frames to half what they are, B17's are intent on killing themselves if you try to formate them, especially form the takeoff. Fire at point causes CTD's after a while. Atmospherically it's missing it's bang for WW2 right now, but what are you looking for in a server?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

3 of us from 16AGR were using the Normandy map for confined area Helo landing practice. It was fun but we are getting occasional crashes and graphical errors. Through the inferno in Nevada was OK yesterday but again we were getting crashes and some weird graphical anomalies, the Hud in the Su27 was barely useable on full brightness. Overall its an Alpha and living up to its name but there is still some multiplayer fun to be had you just have to search it out for now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

The main thing keeping me off the servers is the fact that the ambience of a WWII fight is not there yet. It's a fun map to fly over and looks amazing, but I want more than just dogfighting. Once more of the asset pack is introduced (working AAA, German bombers, more ground objects) and the damage model is improved (both player and AI), I will fly more because then servers can make quality missions that feel authentic and are not just airquake. I expected this since it's in alpha status, but hope it speeds along quickly!

Those and...

7. The map designs on offer seem very roughly done. Just the same old idea of ground targets in multiple locations, so the small number of players get spread out even further.

8. Fw 190 muzzle flash in my face.

not just airquake.

We would be lucky to have airquake. That would mean being able to count on air combat within a few minutes of takeoff (if that's what you're looking for). Airquake is the foundation for more interesting types of play. People need someplace to practice and improve.

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

We run a 1.5 and 2.1 server. 1.5 is the popular one. All 1.5 is going to be popular. For one thing everyone has the map. It isn't in alpha state and isn't buggy.

I will never fly WWII on DCS. It doesn't nail that aspect of combat for me. IL2: CLOD with Team Fusion mods are way better in my opinion. Heck TF guys got the source code now and plan to release a brand new IL2 CLOD in the future. They already released the TF mod version on steam.

Anyway. Numbers grow when things are not alpha state and not buggy. Performance is also another reason not to play on the alpha maps.

I do fly the Normandy maps several times per day and the Burning Skies server usually has 30-40 players on it during European peak times but I admit the others are mostly empty.

The big problems I see are:-

1) The boring missions due to lack of assets ie B17s that shoot back, AAA, varied ground targets. This might be at least partially fixed in todays patch.

2) Many people that like to write interesting missions object to having to buy two copies of the map and assets. This will never be fixed.

3) Performance is already marginal for most people so a map that is too 'interesting' may bog down completely. Too many assets, flak bursts & interesting weather all reduce the frame rates further.

I am not sure the performance issues alone are stopping people flying . Most people that were regularly flying WW2 fighters in 1.5 and have paid for the Normandy map and assets will want to use the new map even if it means turning everything to Low but if the missions are boring as well then it is hard to stay interested. When I flew in Cliffs Of Dover I got very bored of flying just to dogfight but there was one server run by SoW that made it all much more interesting by having a 24/7 objective, squadrons allocated permanent bases and limited supplies of aircraft with replacement rates that could be reduced by enemy action. There was no suicidal flying and no despawning just to get home quickly. If you got damaged you tried your damndest to limp back to your own base and get it down safely or at least in a repairable state (it also had repair delays) so your squadron would not lose one of its limited number of aircraft. The people who made that server are now in DCS and trying to see what they can achieve here but are currently hampered by the performance & assets problems. Once they get a good server up & running the main issue is going to be DCS inability to host enough pilots in one server.

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

None of the popular MP servers cater for NTTR/Normandy. If the 104th, BF, Open conflict, ACG etc ported their missions and server to 2.1 then you would see far more traffic.

As it stands however, its far too much work to do that. So really its only 'single' player servers currently up.

Edit: the 104th have run events in the NTTR map which went down well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Because the Alpha is a buggy mess (no offense to ED) as Alphas often are, and 99% of multiplayer servers are based on the much more stable code in 1.5. I have Nevada and Normandy both. I don't use either at this point. It will remain that way most likely until the unification

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

None of the popular MP servers cater for NTTR/Normandy. If the 104th, BF, Open conflict, ACG etc ported their missions and server to 2.1 then you would see far more traffic.

As it stands however, its far too much work to do that. So really its only 'single' player servers currently up.

Edit: the 104th have run events in the NTTR map which went down well.

BuddySpike are planning to get Blue Flag running for Normandy soon, we are trying to monitor the constant feedback about issues in the Normandy map to understand if it's possible.

So far, we believe that the reported performance issues will also affect stability in big scale missions and players, but we will soon give it a try.

Look for our update soon on BF in Normandy.

We would be lucky to have airquake. That would mean being able to count on air combat within a few minutes of takeoff (if that's what you're looking for). Airquake is the foundation for more interesting types of play. People need someplace to practice and improve.

Agreed. It is good to have a server to just practice.

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

BuddySpike are planning to get Blue Flag running for Normandy soon, we are trying to monitor the constant feedback about issues in the Normandy map to understand if it's possible.

So far, we believe that the reported performance issues will also affect stability in big scale missions and players, but we will soon give it a try.

Great! WW2 or modern?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

BuddySpike are planning to get Blue Flag running for Normandy soon,

It is really GOOD news for me (hopefully not only for me), thanks for that :thumbup:

i enjoyed Case Blue campaign and i look forward to another WWII online campaign :smilewink:

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

"Exploring mission potential"

Hah yeah, cracks you up doesn't it? I can only imagine the troubles you had to go through with MOOSE.

Server hosters/mission designers just havo to work around alot of things that restrict the multiplayer community from flourishing. OP's reason #2 being the main offender in my opinion.

But as long as there are people who just buy everything that is released and then park it somewhere without using it, things will remain the way they are, or at least proceeding at "moderate" speed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy