[NO BUG] FFB issues

hazzer

Hello,

I see with the new update there is a ffb option in the special settings. I have tried it and it does not help at all.

With my stick neutral, immediately after joining it puts my sticks pitch fwd. Presumably to match the position of where the stick would be in the real aircraft. However, as you can see in the attached image the stick position is not in the center line of the axis as it should be.

Also to note in multiplayer when joining the back seat it puts the ffb on my joystick like i am flying the aircraft. When it should just have some spring strength to be used as the controller.

Screen_200528_201146.png.1b843f010098a1398cce43b1a91566bf.png

Edited by IronMike

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Anyone else having this issue?

It is not possible to fly the f14 with ffb because of this.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

That's how trim works. Your stick is actually displaced from center. If it troubles you you could trim nose up until it "centers" but expect to need to quickly nose down as soon as you takeoff.

As for RIO, yea it's not right.

I am well aware how trim works. However you can see the small maker on the center of both axis? That is the trip position indicator. In this aircraft and every other aircraft in dcs when that is in the center the controls should be also. Which as you can see, they aren't. Hence this been a bug and problem as the stick is nosing over when it should be central from the start.

I understand not all controls have an equal amount of pitch up and down travel, but that is shown on the control input as well by the x axis being moved further up.

It is hard to tell from your picture.

Have you tried using the option "Swap Axis" on pitch and roll in the normal control options?

No problems on my side - using a MS Sidewinder FFB2

IGA2RX7.png

Afirm if I uncheck swap axis it swings the stick over to the side instead of pitch axis.

I'll try take a video/better screenshot later.

Can you provide me with a screenshot of the control view on the ground just after startup with engines running? Without changing the trim. So the smaller trim marker should be central?

Thanks

This is how it looks after startup for me without changing trim:

ECatQFI.png

Okay yes, the issue is here. Since that is neutral without any input, both the actual stick position and the trimmer should be aligned. It might be a base game issue. Like the use of curves with ffb making the stick very sensitive when trimmed to long lengths.

Screenshot_20200530_182711.thumb.jpg.29b9438fb7e135462b00fd52fe0ab6e1.jpg

I have some more screenshots to illustrate my point:

In this example I have used the F86 (without curves, with them it creates a whole new issue ED are not willing to fix anytime soon).

This is at spawn in on the sabre, you can see the control indicator and the trim indicator are aligned as it should be.

AyBuKBx.png

The image below shows what happens when trim is applied.

aLXn8pj.png

Then we go to the f14, the trim is forward on start which is fine and I suspect it is supposed to be. However you can see the trim indicator and the control indicator are not aligned (I havent touched anything here). So the controls are further forward then they should be and using a stick without ffb this issue would not exist.

zmJU74C.png

And I have set the trim in the following pic to be central, as you will see the controls have not centered.

hdJoHxf.png

This makes it odd to fly the f-14 as the trim isn't necessarily correct. I also tried turning on an off the f14 ffb trim in the special options but it made 0 difference?

The trim operates correctly, there is a gearing ratio between stick position and trim, and the trim does not travel the full length of stick travel. I wouldn't worry about the controls indicator too much.

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

The trim operates correctly, there is a gearing ratio between stick position and trim, and the trim does not travel the full length of stick travel. I wouldn't worry about the controls indicator too much.

Ah roger, thanks for the info.

I didn't notice much of a difference between the special ffb setting enabled or disabled in the settings. Can you elaborate on what it does?

Ah roger, thanks for the info.

I didn't notice much of a difference between the special ffb setting enabled or disabled in the settings. Can you elaborate on what it does?

It changes how the trim operates specifically for FFB devices. The special option essentially makes it so that the trim actuator functions like real life (moving the neutral position of the stick). With that option checked you can hold your FFB stick in a fixed position and run the trim without causing the elevators to move. Force on the stick will increase the farther away the stick gets from the trim position, and as soon as you release the stick it will move to the new trim/neutral position. When using a spring stick or not using the special option, the trim offsets the elevator position from 0. This method works for spring sticks that cannot move their trim position but doesn't work well for FFB since FFB can actually mimic real trim actuator operation.

FFB operation is way closer to real life than spring sticks. It sucks that there really aren't many good FFB options on the market, I use a VKB stick for most things since my MS Sidewinder 2 doesn't have enough buttons.

Edited by fat creason

Heatblur Simulations

It changes how the trim operates specifically for FFB devices. The special option essentially makes it so that the trim actuator functions like real life (moving the neutral position of the stick). With that option checked you can hold your FFB stick in a fixed position and run the trim without causing the elevators to move. Force on the stick will increase the farther away the stick gets from the trim position, and as soon as you release the stick it will move to the new trim/neutral position. When using a spring stick or not using the special option, the trim offsets the elevator position from 0. This method works for spring sticks that cannot move their trim position but doesn't work well for FFB since FFB can actually mimic real trim actuator operation.

FFB operation is way closer to real life than spring sticks. It sucks that there really aren't many good FFB options on the market, I use a VKB stick for most things since my MS Sidewinder 2 doesn't have enough buttons.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah I agree it adds so much. Personally I would rather suffer with no buttons than no ffb, I am debating doing some surgery and changing the joystick but I feel like I'd mess it up. Maybe heatblur should get in on some FFB making!

The other issue I've been having with ffb is going in the back seat in multiplayer. It seems to think I am in the front as the ffb effects are that of the flight controls.

I had to do this, FFB is so essential :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3849592

The base delivers the FFB and X+Y axis, the grip delivers buttons buttons buttons...

@fat creason

Afte the latest OB update i have a bug with FFB switching off in the F14 in MP. If i change from another aircraft to the F14, FFB gets disabled :(

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3849592

The base delivers the FFB and X+Y axis, the grip delivers buttons buttons buttons...

@fat creason

Afte the latest OB update i have a bug with FFB switching off in the F14 in MP. If i change from another aircraft to the F14, FFB gets disabled :(

That sounds like a DCS problem to me, all we do is ask if FFB devices are present from DCS via the API. I can look into it but won't promise anything. Super low priority.

Heatblur Simulations

We need to talk to you about that.

68E863D8-2605-427F-9DCD-5AE4EE6AED48_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7bfb1fa447742145a8bc53b906d80d5b.jpeg

@fat creason

Before the last OB update, AFAIK you could unplug and hot plug a FFB stick. If you do that now, the stick is recognized if you plug it in, but there is no force feedback - I believe until you restart DCS.

(You might wonder who ever does that. Well me. I just discovered unplugging and replugging a joystick is a trick to to fix trackir losing connection to the game, as DCS will not only recognise the stick but then also rediscover the trackir. Trackir losing connection to the game is another issue Ive been having I think since I switched to OB.)

with MS Sidewinder 2 you can make good rudder like that too !!! :megalol:

Palonnier.thumb.png.35baadb350bc0d9ef7421afdb09eec05.png

IN WIN D-Frame Red - EKWB - Asus ROG PG348Q - Asus Maximus XI Formula - i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080Ti Strix OC 11Go - DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 64Go 3000Mhz - Windows 10 64 - x2 SSD PCIe M.2 NvMe Samsung 970 Pro (1To RAID 0) - Virpil V.F.X Grip and MongoosT 50CM2 Throttle - Thrustmaster TPR - HP Reverb