Shkval-locked Cannon not wind-correcting

kengou

Firing on a target from about 3 km away with shkval locked, manual or automatic modes, the cannon rounds land off-target in the direction of wind. Adjusting the lock to correct for the wind results in rounds on target. I believe the cannon aimpoint should be wind-correcting.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Firing on a target from about 3 km away with shkval locked, manual or automatic modes, the cannon rounds land off-target in the direction of wind. Adjusting the lock to correct for the wind results in rounds on target. I believe the cannon aimpoint should be wind-correcting.

can you state the wind Speeds you dealing with cause i never had issues even if im maneuvering latherally wich make s the gun Offset in counter direction im quite accurate + winds of 3-9 m/s

It’s the Caucasus shooting range mission, I think it’s like 6 -9 kph

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

There's definitely a bug. Here's a 26km/h crosswind blowing directly from left to right with a tank 3.1km away. The rounds land left of the tank. I re-locked it 3 times to make sure that it wasn't a ranging issue:

Q ramm 2 Things here your moving up and to the Right so try to Encounter that and fim it again :D

EDITED 10 sec after : and also 26m/s full latheral isnt the best way to hit a tgt with any weapon lol

The best way to test the cannon accuracy with crosswind would be to land and secure the Ka-50 on an elevated position or a platform (I'm sure a building would do fine).

Then you'll have the best accuracy for the cannon alone.

Having the helo floating around, unstable, should impair the cannon accuracy.

Also, is it mentioned anywhere what the wind correction limitations are for the cannon system (Ka-50)? (max crosswind correction, etc.)

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

• ED Team

Please attach a short track replay showing the issue.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Q ramm 2 Things here your moving up and to the Right so try to Encounter that and fim it again :D

EDITED 10 sec after : and also 26m/s full latheral isnt the best way to hit a tgt with any weapon lol

I'm moving very slightly up and to the right, the gun should have no problems compensating for that small amount of movement; otherwise it'd be useless in combat. The wind speed shouldn't matter as well; it's 26km/h (not m/s), which is considered a "moderate breeze". It's also well within the gimbal limits of the gun and all the gun needs to do is aim ever so slightly more to the right to hit on target. It's the wind offset calculation that's off.

Having the helo floating around, unstable, should impair the cannon accuracy.

No, in my video I show that the gun is very consistently hitting the same spot to the left of the tank. It's the wind offset calculation that's off, it's compensating too much.

Please attach a short track replay showing the issue.

I've attached a track, and here's a video of the track:

I get into a stable hover this time (not that I should have to do this) and reduced the wind from 26km/h to 20km/h. Let's stop saying variations of "you need to be in a perfectly stable hover" and "wind and movement will throw off the accuracy". The gun is accurate and very consistently hitting the same spot, it's just the wrong spot.

Ka-50 Gun Wind Correction Bug.trk

Edited by Ranma13

Ranma13, this could be an issue with the mission you are loading. I am not seeing this behavior on my end with 18 knots (33km/h crosswind). I tested this with a clean mission starting airbourne. Maybe try seting up a simple mission in the editor and test it again.

I get into a stable hover this time (not that I should have to do this) and reduced the wind from 26km/h to 20km/h. Let's stop saying variations of "you need to be in a perfectly stable hover" and "wind and movement will throw off the accuracy". The gun is accurate and very consistently hitting the same spot, it's just the wrong spot.

correct me if im wrong but isnt the pvi 800 giving you Degrees + m/s and not km/h?

correct me if im wrong but isnt the pvi 800 giving you Degrees + m/s and not km/h?

Yes but that's not the point of the OP is it?

I tried my test mission again at 36knots cross wind, PVI800 showing 19m/s, my cannon rounds still hitting the target.

Edit: That being said i dont think the OP is doing anything wrong for his rounds to be missing. Looks to me like some sort of core DCS issue with certain missions.

Edited by 26-J39

My bad, you're right, it's in m/s, not km/h. However, that doesn't change my point. The gun is perfectly capable of correcting for that amount of wind, it's just not doing it properly.

this could be an issue with the mission you are loading.

I've attached the mission I'm using. It's literally an airborne Ka-50 100m off the ground with a tank 3.2km away and a 10m/s crosswind (very close to a 18-knot crosswind), and nothing else. I don't think there's any way to make it simpler than that.

Here's a video of the above mission showing that the wind correction is still off, though not as much due to the lower wind:

To be honest, I'm getting kind of tired of this back and forth. I'm not sure what else evidence I can provide for this bug. I've provided videos, tracks, and the mission file itself. If anyone's interested in continuing to claim that there's no bug here, I'd love it if you could do your due diligence and provide evidence as well.

Ka-50 Gun Test.miz

My bad, you're right, it's in m/s, not km/h. However, that doesn't change my point. The gun is perfectly capable of correcting for that amount of wind, it's just not doing it properly.

yeah ive never tried so i was wondering if thers Maybe a Limit cause i never workedw ith such windspeeds in a full latheral firing Positio, but yeah sounds like there is a bug

Ranma13 i tried your mission and i got the same result as you (rounds hit to the left). Ka-50's altitude is just above 300ft. I think i know whats going on.

In the ME the wind settings are now tied together from 33ft - 1600ft and the 33ft setting is reduced as a result from changing the wind setting at 1600ft. I think the KA-50 is using wind correction relating to the 1600ft setting and is not reducing the correction as you drop in altitude. If you gain altitude to 1600ft the rounds hit the mark.

I don't think it's a bug but more the fact that Ka-50 wind correction algorithm hasn't been updated since the updates to the way wind is handled in the ME. (my speculation only)

Either way i hope this gets fixed.