[UNABLE TO REPRODUCE]JTAC Abort

bonesvf103

I've flown this mission before without problem but now all of a sudden JTAC always tells me to abort What triggers that?

I check in

I tell him ready for 9 line

I tell him ready to copy remarks

I select the weapon he requests and set it up properly

I 9 line readback

I report IP inbound

He says continue.I say laser on

He responds laser on, lasing

I say spot

I say in

then he tells me abort

Why? Am I too close? I gotten clearance to go in hot at 5 mi before with no problem.

Also, when he calls abort and you respond IP inbound and then he says continue when you come back, then I say in and he says cleared hot, is his laser back on? Seems like the bombs fall short then.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Yeah, make sure you're coming from the correct direction. I've gotten aborts in the F-18 if I was coming from the wrong direction

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Oh, that's right. Sorry been flying the Tomcat for so long have been forgetting my Bug fundamentals.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Also, when he calls abort and you respond IP inbound and then he says continue when you come back, then I say in and he says cleared hot, is his laser back on? Seems like the bombs fall short then.

I've seen it posted here (and my experience seems to validate it) that the JTAC will only lase for 5 mins from when you first call for lasing. I've gotten in the habit of clicking the timer to keep an eye on it. If you take too long to line up or fly in, or if you get an abort and have to line up a 2nd time you could be over the 5 minutes by the time the bomb hits and thus it isn't guiding and falls short (or at least off the target). You can also confirm the laser is no longer on by undesignating and trying to LSS again and it won't find it.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any easy way to get them to turn the laser back on. I have on rare occasion gotten a "Laser on" option back in the comms menu, but only rarely and I'm not sure what I did differently that caused it to show.

ACtually I just did the mission again and they didn't give me an approach direction. All they said was

1,2,3 n/a

4 elevation 1000 ft msl

target atillery

coordinates KNB20055

Makrked by aser 1688

friendlies south 500 meters, troops in contact

egress east.

That's all.

Why do they tell me to abort then?

v6,

boNes

They should give you an attack heading in the "Remarks and further talk on" that you should acknowledge being ready for after they give you the above info (which is the 9-line).

They didn't. After that nine line I say ready to copy remarks, they tell me what weapon they want, and to call IP inbound. I call IP inbound, he says continue.I say laser on he responds laser on, lasing

I say spot

I say in

then he tells me abort

v6

boNes

They didn't. After that nine line I say ready to copy remarks, they tell me what weapon they want, and to call IP inbound. I call IP inbound, he says continue.I say laser on he responds laser on, lasing

I say spot

I say in

then he tells me abort

v6

boNes

I dont think you can run in from any direction even if he says no sprecific heading.

If he gives you his position in the form of "northwest 100m troops in contact" you know where he is in relation to the target or if you tell him to Rope if he is marking with IR.

Dont run in from directly behind the JTAC and not from any direction that points to him.

Basicly, if he is south of the target, do not run in from the south or between east and west. Only between south and east/west. Or actually be in that position when you report IN.

Had the same problem but it seems to work for me now when I pay more attention to that.

ACtually I just did the mission again and they didn't give me an approach direction. All they said was

1,2,3 n/a

4 elevation 1000 ft msl

target atillery

coordinates KNB20055

Makrked by aser 1688

friendlies south 500 meters, troops in contact

egress east.

That's all.

Why do they tell me to abort then?

v6,

boNes

As per your post, JTAC did give you approach heading. "Egress East". You leave via an eastern heading, so your approach to the target is towards the east, coming from the west.

This is done by JTAC's to ensure your ordnance has a clear vector to target to avoid terrain or ground clutter, and prevent blue on blue from ordnance falling short or long. You would never, especially in danger close, fly over the target AND friendly unit's when dropping anything.

You'll be given the abort command if you report IP inbound from a direction not given by the JTAC

Edited by Coranthia

Basicly, if he is south of the target, do not run in from the south or between east and west. Only between south and east/west..

I don't understand this. If he is south, don't run in from south or between east and west...but then you say only between south and east and west?

v6,

boNes

As per your post, JTAC did give you approach heading. "Egress East". You leave via an eastern heading, so your approach to the target is towards the east, coming from the west.

Hm, ok, I thought that that was where they wanted you to exit regardless of where you came in from.

Also, is this something that was just updated? Because I had flown this mission before (it is stock) a few times and they've never told me to abort like that before.

Thanks all!

v6,

boNes

Hm, ok, I thought that that was where they wanted you to exit regardless of where you came in from.

Also, is this something that was just updated? Because I had flown this mission before (it is stock) a few times and they've never told me to abort like that before.

Thanks all!

v6,

boNes

No egress is basically telling you what your approach heading is.

It isn't mission specific or setup by a mission creator. The JTAC AI (like real-world JTAC's) automatically computes the safest approach to avoid blue on blue, that also ensures your ordnance has a clear run to the target and doesn't hit a hill, tree or house

Sloppy by me, I mean dont come from the 180 degrees between west-north-east because then you would be pointing your nose and weapons directly or somewhat to the JTAC if he is south of the target.

I did not notice that you wrote that he said egress east, perhaps if you come from exactly the west it would be ok but at some value of degrees towards north I think he will abort you because you start to point against him.

And dont come from the south so you go directly above him. I dont know how wide cone you have to stay away from in the south but I would expect it would be ok to come in from the southwest and southeast.

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

Thanks Fisherman et al...

I tried it last night. When I approached from the west but heading a little toward the southeast, he did clear me in. I dropped and the bomb hit. I was cleared for re-attack. Came back, this time I was pointed at them so he called abort, so I came around and went back. I called in and he said cleared hot. So I drop. The bomb missed. I tried again in the same way. It missed again.

So my next question is, is when they tell you to abort, but when you come back and they clear you hot, are they still lasing? I never see a laser on call available when that happens so I'm assuming so, but the bombs never seem to hit.

v6,

boNes

No I dont think so, after a clear to reattack or abort I always ask for Laser on. Or sparkle of he is using IR.

I have studied the manuals for VAICOM 2.0 and VAICOM PRO to understand the JTAC-flow and from that I have come to the conclusion that after a abort or cleared to reattack you end up back right after you have called IP inbound so I go though the same process with laser on, spot, in like in the first attack run.

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

So my next question is, is when they tell you to abort, but when you come back and they clear you hot, are they still lasing? I never see a laser on call available when that happens so I'm assuming so, but the bombs never seem to hit.

See my post above regarding this. They'll keep lasing for 5 minutes from when you 1st call "Laser on". As long as your bomb has hit by then you're good. If not (i.e. it's still in the air falling at the target), it will miss. And while 5 minutes seems like lots of time, it's not if you get into an abort situation and have to make a 2nd run in. If you're not using whatever Fisherman82 is, you may have a problem getting them to start lasing again.

I re-watched Wags' video on GBUs and he is flying the same mission I was, and his approach is the same as well. They say egress east but he approaches from the NW and he doesn't get an abort command. I did everything he did in the same sequence. I also flew this mission many times before (I'm just starting to get back into the Hornet again after many Tomcat hours) without this happening so that's why I wonder if something changed in the mission since I last flew it.

v6,

boNes

• ED Team

Hi

post a short track replay we will take a look.

Make sure you approach from outside the IP the JTAC can be fussy about procedure :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Here's a track. It's a bit sloppy as I was trying to get through the calls ASAP but the point is you can see that I was flying in what I would think is a good direction. There a a couple of times I drop my nose so you can see where the JTAC is, where the target is, and how I was flying to avoid passing over the JTAC or even pointing at him.

The times it did clear me in, I think I was at ingress heading of 090 give or take 5 degrees. I mean it seemed VERY sensitive to you being off heading even a little bit.

Also, when I make a good drop, and they clear me to re-attack, and I come back--or if they tell me to abort and I come back and they say IP inbound you'll see that I don't get an option to say laser on. So even though I get cleared hot, they never lase.

I think in one instance when I do get a laser on I had to fly something like 10+ miles away before calling IP inbound. Or, of course, check out, then check back in after which I have to go through the whole process all over again.

Also here is video:

v6,

boNes

GBU.trk

Edited by bonesvf103

One thing I noticed. In the previous replies it was stressed that you have to attack from the direction that JTAC is telling you or they will call abort.

I was flying the stock Maverick missions and they gave me a direction of attack. At one point they said egress east. I ingressed from the east, egressing west, and I still got a cleared hot and was able to fire the laser Maverick and have it hit.

So now I'm not so sure that your direction per JTAC matters.

v6,

boNes

• ED Team

Hi,

just watching the video first, noticed you are making your attack runs to early, wait until you call spot and in before making the actual attack run.

After your attack egress outside the IP before returning.

If you do this out of order the JTAC can be sensitive.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2