Hard to taxi straight (falcon also maybe)

Phantom_Mark

Anyone else struggled to taxi straight with the Hornet ?? even with the wind etc set to minimum the plane is all over the place on taxi, naturally I have checked deadzone etc and interference from my rudder controls, nothing going on there I can see, but I did notice a weird thing tonight watching my aircraft taxi in F2 external cam, the nearside Rudder is twitching nearly all the time, but the offside rudder is static ? I also find the Falcon really twitchy on the taxi as well, both aircraft have no issues with rudder in the air tho ? Just in taxi both wander around a lot ?

I have been putting up with it basically, but only mention after noticing that rudder twitch on F2 in the Hornet.

Edit:

Just to define better, the aircraft doesn't tend to wobble from left to right, tends to pull one side slightly, so you correct then it pulls the other side slightly, almost like driving a car with bad tracking, you constantly correct and struggle to find a centre point which tracks straight ahead, so it feels, very much like being pushed by the wind.

Edited by Phantom_Mark

Are you using Tm rudder pedals? They may need a recalibration. I did find the Viper twitchy while the Hornet was normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, just using my MSFF2 twist rudder, I enabled the control overlay to make sure I wasn't getting any spikes as well, the aircraft feels like it has a force against it, subtle but it is there, I took extra pains to make sure my throttles were spooling at the same time as well (A10C warthog throttle).

The nearside Rudder twitching on its own says "something" is maybe going on tho ? when the offside is stable and doesn't twitch at all ?

I gave my rudder axis some curvature, to make it less sensitive around center. Helped me a lot when taxiing straight.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I have noticed the F/A-18C "pulling" to one side while in taxi for quite sometime now. Always figured it was due to ground wind speeds.... Maybe I was wrong..

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I've had no problems with the Hornet's ground handling.

Is it possible that your rudder is being bound to another set of control inputs? I notice this happens from time to time. You set it for Axis Z but it's also bound to some something on your throttle. Have a look at the control panel to make sure there are no other bindings.

Is it possible that your rudder is being bound to another set of control inputs? I notice this happens from time to time. You set it for Axis Z but it's also bound to some something on your throttle. Have a look at the control panel to make sure there are no other bindings.

I've always found it manageable although initially I had a hard time getting used to it. I remember not that long ago... with a 5 mile/hr wind from my 2 o'clock made the jet act like a wind sock. (Full load of Mk 82's and a c/line tank. It's a lot better now. I'm using crappy Saitek rudders but they still work OK.

Yeah, I have no double binds for keys or axis' with my setup, for any aircraft.

It's not a big deal for me personally, easily manageable, more simply a question of is it right.

Also, just documenting my experience for the OP, if anything just to let him know it isn't necessarily an isolated issue that he is experiencing.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I had this problem initially with the Hornet until I added a bit of curve to the axis. Between that and having a light touch when steering on the ground you should find that will most likely fix the problem. Well that and practice as I find the more you taxi/takeoff you get a better feel for the aircraft and it’s handling.

As far as the F-16C is concerned I do think there is some issue there. It is the only aircraft that I can’t seem to get a handle on and even with curve applied, it is extremely touchy and difficult to keep on an optimal path. I don’t mean to say it’s impossible but it definitely takes more work than any other aircraft. This includes going at low speed while taxiing to the runway. There is always that large drift and having flown the F-16C since release I feel as though I would have been able to get it under control if it were a pilot issue.

In any case this is just my opinion and I could very well be wrong on the F-16C.

Cheers Don, and others, good to just check we all fly from the same page.....a curve won't help my problem tho , as the plane is moving around with no input, the nearside rudder twitching makes me suspicious, anyone else replicate that whilst taxiing below 48 knots ? (not tested above)

I will second this and mention if you have lots of control peripherals - like a wheel for racing games - you need to be anal retentive about double and triple checking your mappings.

At one point I kept a CH Products Pro Throttle, a Saitek X55 throttle and a Thrustmaster TMX Racing Wheel all attached at once and didn't quadruple check my axis settings...

Long story short, there's nothing like being on your takeoff run and having your throttle slam back to idle and the rudder yank full to the left seconds before rotation because the unused throttle and steering wheel decided to make themselves known.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

Except when it’s the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels. :megalol:

So wait, are you arguing that they don’t take off in formation? That it’s a hoax perpetrated on the aviation lovers?!

Seriously though they can take off in formation even with slight deviation in the alignment (for lack of a better term) because they practice and have the skill from flying thousands of hours (I’d imagine that many). They know how their aircraft handle and drill their maneuvers constantly. You’re right that unpredicted things can happen but that’s where skill and training comes in. So when that unexpected thing happens your brain automatically knows what to do so that you can react as quick as possible.

I imagine that USMC Trev is right what with all the variables affecting the aircraft while rolling down a runway.

So the TBirds maintainers don’t bother to check the gear alignment? They don’t bother to make sure that centered pedals means a centered nose gear? They don’t bother to check if the controls are rigged properly?

They figure the pilots will just overcome anything out of spec with training and skill?

And lose the condescending tone there ace.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

So the TBirds maintainers don’t bother to check the gear alignment? They don’t bother to make sure that centered pedals means a centered nose gear? They don’t bother to check if the controls are rigged properly?

They figure the pilots will just overcome anything out of spec with training and skill?

And lose the condescending tone there ace.

Well wait now you’re talking about the maintainers of the aircraft?

I’d imagine they do check all flight systems but there is more at work against the aircraft than the aircraft itself. The alignment on your vehicle may have just been recalibrated but I’ll bet that if you let go of the wheel your car will bank to one side or the other. USMC said roughly the same already which is true.

When you’re talking about practice and skill being unable to overcome unexpected/unpredicted events you’re wrong. Most military training is based on things going wrong and hammering into you how to overcome those issues immediately based off repetition of training and thinking quickly. The more you train at something the better you’ll be, the less you’ll panic, and the quicker you can adjust/adapt. So if the Thunderbirds, who are constantly flying in formation, are rolling down a runway I’m quite sure they’re able to adjust for any discrepancy in the NWS due to surface, winds, air pressure...etc.

Hence the drift of the aircraft in DCS while taxiing (minus the Falcon which I think may be a bit off in some aspect but I could be wrong. See my earlier post).

I had this problem initially with the Hornet until I added a bit of curve to the axis. Between that and having a light touch when steering on the ground you should find that will most likely fix the problem. Well that and practice as I find the more you taxi/takeoff you get a better feel for the aircraft and it’s handling.

As far as the F-16C is concerned I do think there is some issue there. It is the only aircraft that I can’t seem to get a handle on and even with curve applied, it is extremely touchy and difficult to keep on an optimal path. I don’t mean to say it’s impossible but it definitely takes more work than any other aircraft. This includes going at low speed while taxiing to the runway. There is always that large drift and having flown the F-16C since release I feel as though I would have been able to get it under control if it were a pilot issue.

In any case this is just my opinion and I could very well be wrong on the F-16C.

I think you have a point with the F-16C. I found it somewhat jitterish when taxiing & takeoff. Adjusting the curves / deadzone helped a little but it still wasn't as stable as others. Maybe that's how it really is; I've got no way of knowing. Anyway I figured it was early access and eventually it will get sorted.

Not sure how many more times I have to type this, there is zero wrong with my controls, nothing at all.....I can see this with the controls overlay that yaw is taking place with no input from my controls, thus no deadzone or curve is going to fix something that isn't being induced by my controls ???? and the rudder is spot on, never an issue, however when taxiing or parked I have observed the left rudder twitching at a high frequency despite the right rudder remaining static......which is clearly "odd"

Thanks again for the comments on possible solutions, but I am firmly believing there is something going on outside of my control, and it feels like either the tracking is off on the wheels (alignment) or there is influences from the physical world being exaggerated beyond the norms.

FWIW I have been flying DCS since Flanker 1.0......so done a few thousand hours in various types over the years and know how to setup my controls and taxi, not a boast, just saying, I would be the first to admit it is easy to overlook something but as far as I am concerned I have covered all the reasonable bases so far in eliminating me and my controls from the factors involved here.

Not sure how many more times I have to type this, there is zero wrong with my controls, nothing at all.....I can see this with the controls overlay that yaw is taking place with no input from my controls, thus no deadzone or curve is going to fix something that isn't being induced by my controls ???? and the rudder is spot on, never an issue, however when taxiing or parked I have observed the left rudder twitching at a high frequency despite the right rudder remaining static......which is clearly "odd"

Thanks again for the comments on possible solutions, but I am firmly believing there is something going on outside of my control, and it feels like either the tracking is off on the wheels (alignment) or there is influences from the physical world being exaggerated beyond the norms.

FWIW I have been flying DCS since Flanker 1.0......so done a few thousand hours in various types over the years and know how to setup my controls and taxi, not a boast, just saying, I would be the first to admit it is easy to overlook something but as far as I am concerned I have covered all the reasonable bases so far in eliminating me and my controls from the factors involved here.

I have the same issue, I just taxied and then landed with an 8m/s (15kts) 65° crosswind and I was getting thrown around like a rag doll both on taxi and roll out. I know other people have this issue as I've seen them slide into the grass while not paying attention.