Flaps Drag correct?

funkster

Hi All

Been back on DCS trying out the hornet again recently. Is it just me or ia the flight model way out for flaps?

Adding flaps during a landing circuit at 225 or even sub 200 sends the plane rocketing up into a ridiculous climb....hard to get it trimmed out again.

Similar on some full flap take offs .After reset trim!

Flaps Drag correct?

Full flap for take off? Book is half flap for take off on the C. The FM is still EA with room for adjustments, but a couple real pilots have weighed in on the flight model and have said it is pretty close to the real experience.

Check out C.W. Lemoine’s you tube channel. Not instructional but he gives his thoughts as a former F-18 and F-16 pilot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should not be taking off with full flaps in the F/A-18C.

I know i was being flippant... the point is anything but auto.send it rocketing unless i quickly cycle the flaps post take off. .

Ive watched CWL but i also watched Lex who said it was a bit heavy ...it just seems to introduce a massive and drastic departure compared to other aircraft

I know i was being flippant... the point is anything but auto.send it rocketing unless i quickly cycle the flaps post take off. .

Ive watched CWL but i also watched Lex who said it was a bit heavy ...it just seems to introduce a massive and drastic departure compared to other aircraft

In one of CWL’s videos Gonky said the same about it feeling like it was super heavy. There are known issues with the drag models of certain load outs. I have only flown Cessnas and Pipers in RL and adding full flap causes them to ballon too, requiring control, throttle and trim input.

The sudden increase in drag doesn't make the jet balloon, the increased lift does that. The drag causes a loss of airspeed (all else being equal).

It's common for other RL aircraft too just like Fused mentioned. Also very likely WIP. You can get used to it.. push that nose over early...

In one of CWL’s videos Gonky said the same about it feeling like it was super heavy. There are known issues with the drag models of certain load outs. I have only flown Cessnas and Pipers in RL and adding full flap causes them to ballon too, requiring control, throttle and trim input.

:doh: That's what it is!

I suspect Gonky, CWL, Lex and few others know where the problem is... unfinished PA mode. (FCS)

There are number of threads on the subject. It's supposed to be addressed by the devs in the future... I hope. It's not a show stopper though, like anything else we learn and adapt;)

If doing a straight-in approach I don't drop flaps til 170. If doing a pattern I make it near identical to a carrier trap. I preset the flaps for full down while still on the initial upwind. They won't drop until you go below 250 and that will happen while you are banked hard over in you initial 180 deg turn to downwind. You will feel something happen but all that lift that sends you ballooning when flying straight just helps tighten your turn.

AFAIK when you have full flaps down, the plane is trimmed for landing AoA.

So as soon as you are travelling faster than landing speed, the nose will rise. If you are travelling slower than landing speed, the nose will drop.

This is handy because you can easily land without looking at an airspeed indicator. No idea if it's realistic but it has a logic to it.

The ballooning is also a helpful indicator that auto flaps are not selected when they should be.