Pimax 8KX Benchmarks - DCS

TheHog107

Just to clarify, you joined this month and this is your 4th post and all of them having been about either VR or Pimax.

OK...

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just to clarify, you joined this month and this is your 4th post.

OK.

?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

So, how long until I can have a 8KX in my hand ?

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Sorry I didn't know you were the arbiter of what someone new can post about?

I guess I missed the memo.

I believe the inference might be that you are a product ambassador for Pimax. Like Sweviver is. Not a completely illogical assumption considering.

Yes, thank you for the link to this video which shows us a little more of the quality of the product. Comparison of product quality is very much what this section of the forum is about. Information in the hands of the consumer is where it belongs.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

SweViver used Steam SS 100% for DCS. And he also said "in game SS at 1.2". Which I think he shouldn't have done. In-game SS/PD in DCS at 1.2 is hard on the performance. He should used 1.0 there, and gotten smoother performance, and he probably could have cranked up some other visual improvements instead.

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

I believe the inference might be that you are a product ambassador for Pimax. Like Sweviver is. Not a completely illogical assumption considering.

This is the most stupid shit I have seen in months. Sweviver is indeed somewhat of a Pimax shill, even considering his employment with them, but to roll this adversarial attitude onto a random forum dude who's just made a couple of damn vr-linked posts is asinine, man.

Regarding the video, it does contain a healthy amount of bullshit. My favorite was Subnautica, where he talks about how he was "surprised" he could get it to run smoothly when you can see he's literally downsampling the game below native res. Like, shit dude, its not exactly rocket science that you can get any game to run cpu capped and smooth if you downsample it to shit. All of this is to say nothing of the fact that he's grabbing an incomplete mask of one eye, and then expecting his viewers to believe this distortion corrected mask, viewed on a desktop monitor, through youtube's compression codecs and god knows what post fx editing, is in any way relational to the perceived image quality while actually in headset.

Anyways, cool to see some actual numbers for DCS though.

Edited by Chamidorix

I would not mind seeing some video reviews of the upcoming 8KX, but not from that Sweviver cat.

No way can I bear to watch another one of his promotions- er reviews...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Personally I have no problem seeing info about the new Pimax headsets from all sources including Sweviver. Just because he's now working for Pimax doesn't mean everything he says is bullcrap. The 8Kx could be a very good VR solution for flight sims, but I probably won't buy it until its offered on Amazon where I can easily return it.

Sweviver does a bunch of benchmarks including DCS. (closer to end of the vid)

Enjoy!

LOL, it looks like DCS was set up with very poor settings, perhaps with Shader mod, not with stock DCS, notice not any dynamic shadows. Test was done on PG map (with very good performace) and simply part of Caucasus map without trees and mountains. Im affraid most users will have here 30 fps, so for me its a marketing blabla (about DCS). Remember he’s working for Pimax, I’ll wait for first users reviews and now I take a breath and relax :D. I think about 8KX but not now, maybe from September or when 3080Ti will be ready ;). Pimax its a problematic company.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

for f@Ck sakes I just put up a link. Talk about special snowflakes.

Okay you got me I'm actually an alien from the planet Putar and my posts are designed to make it easier for our plans for world domination.....

sigh........

Let me put it another way, are you paid or receiving any benefits for promoting Pinax products?

If you are, I have no issue with that, as long as you’re upfront an honest about the fact.

As it is, you’ve written the opening post as though you’re completely unaffiliated.

Can you please clarify?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

No More Pimax Content On MRTV Until Further Notice

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes, I don't see it as a bust-up or anything. Seb Ang has built his channel on open and impartial reviews, it's a great model and he is just sharing the events and happenings as they appear. His form of speaking English does come across at times as overly dramatic and I recognise that is down to non-native language dissonance.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Let me put it another way, are you paid or receiving any benefits for promoting Pinax products?

If you are, I have no issue with that, as long as you’re upfront an honest about the fact.

As it is, you’ve written the opening post as though you’re completely unaffiliated.

Can you please clarify?

I'm not a senior member of these forums, mostly a lurker, so I might not understand the culture and expectations here, but your initial response came across in my reading as passive agressive.

In his previous posts, outside of talking about the VR hand controllers, Hog mentions he owns a 5K+ and gives his view on it. In this thread he doesn't give any personal opinions or representations of Pimax products. He links to a youtube video and it is clear that the video's creator is a separate person (or maybe Hog is a ghost account for Sweviver). Even if he was a promoter for Pimax I don't see anything in his opening post that would required him to advertise that fact.

The link posted is relevant to the forum. Good discussion is helped by people disclosing affliations to products/companies they reference, but being too suspicious will put off new people contributing.

I'm not saying that Hog's response was overly constructive either...

Good grief, I am not paid to promote Pi-Max. I just shared a link guys! Just like I'm sure anyone else would for Reverb FPS result or Index Results. Yes I do own a Pimax 5K+ and am happy with it. I'm excited about new VR tech coming out as I thought others would be as well. I am a mostly casual gamer and like VR for the feeling of being there.

Good grief, I am not paid to promote Pi-Max. I just shared a link guys! Just like I'm sure anyone else would for Reverb FPS result or Index Results. Yes I do own a Pimax 5K+ and am happy with it. I'm excited about new VR tech coming out as I thought others would be as well. I am a mostly casual gamer and like VR for the feeling of being there.

Don't get it too personal Hog. You will find a whole spectrum of individuals here (From my perspective they all joined the forum like "yesterday") :D

Have fun here buddy :)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

If DCS is sort of a struggle on Rift S or HP reverb (at least in multiplayer). I cannot see how it will run at playable framerates on 8KX...

RTX 3080Ti + Vulkan ? ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

If DCS is sort of a struggle on Rift S or HP reverb (at least in multiplayer). I cannot see how it will run at playable framerates on 8KX...

I have been thinking about this. I have an Index and run at a steam supersampling value that gives me 4 pixels for every physical pixel to make the gauges readable. The resolution in steam is as close as I can get to 2880x3200 (the index is 1440x1600 per eye, so I just doubled that).

This SS resolution is enough that I can read even the tiny gun rounds remaining thing on the right side of the tomcat cockpit. I have to turn just about every other detail down in the game to get a solid 40 fps, so itlook like something from the 90s, but it works for now.

This steam resolution of 2880x3200 means 9,216,000 pixels per eye. My hope is that with the extra physical pixels on the 8KX, no supersampling will be necessary. That means pushing the native resolution of 3840x2190, which is 8,294,400 pixels per eye.

And it actually might be even better than that: that amount of pixels is for the widest FOV ... between wearing glasses and wanting the best performance, the pimax option of medium FOV would probably be enough (and still an improvement over the Index). I am assuming this means even fewer pixels per eye.

This all assumes that 100% supersampling will give a clear picture due to the higher native resolution. If that turns out to be true, then I don't see why it wouldn't run as well as or even better than the frame rates I get with the Index at my current SS levels.

I have been thinking about this. I have an Index and run at a steam supersampling value that gives me 4 pixels for every physical pixel to make the gauges readable. The resolution in steam is as close as I can get to 2880x3200 (the index is 1440x1600 per eye, so I just doubled that).

This SS resolution is enough that I can read even the tiny gun rounds remaining thing on the right side of the tomcat cockpit. I have to turn just about every other detail down in the game to get a solid 40 fps, so itlook like something from the 90s, but it works for now.

This steam resolution of 2880x3200 means 9,216,000 pixels per eye. My hope is that with the extra physical pixels on the 8KX, no supersampling will be necessary. That means pushing the native resolution of 3840x2190, which is 8,294,400 pixels per eye.

And it actually might be even better than that: that amount of pixels is for the widest FOV ... between wearing glasses and wanting the best performance, the pimax option of medium FOV would probably be enough (and still an improvement over the Index). I am assuming this means even fewer pixels per eye.

This all assumes that 100% supersampling will give a clear picture due to the higher native resolution. If that turns out to be true, then I don't see why it wouldn't run as well as or even better than the frame rates I get with the Index at my current SS levels.

I think you're right. I used HTC Vive Pro with lots of supersampling before (don't remember how much because it was a constant struggle to get it right). But I've had the HP Reverb now for some time and I run it in its native resolution, 2160x2160 per eye, and no supersampling in SteamVR or in the game, DCS. I don't need it, I can read everything in the cockpit with no problems. Would I like some supersampling for my Reverb? Sure, but - performance is more important now. And it's way better without supersampling than the Vive Pro was with supersampling.

I haven't done the numbers but my hope is that the new Pimax gives me the same or better pixel density as the Reverb, but with much improved FOV.

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.