[NO BUG] G limited maneuvering and video stutter issue

Notso

I had a really weird issue yesterday while flying the "unguided bombs" instant mission on the F-16. It was probably my 3rd or 4th run through as I was practicing with various SMS settings, dive angles, etc. Somewhere about about halfway through, I noticed I could not pull more than about 2.5 to 3gs anywhere below about 400 KIAS. At about 350kts on the roll in from about 4000AGL, with the stick full aft - I was lucky to get 2.5gs. I thought I must have accidently hit a button that limited the Gs but there is no such thing that I'm aware of. I continued to fly and try to maneuver to see what was going on. Even doing level turns at 350kts at 1000AGL should have been pretty close to corner velocity but I was getting 3gs max. Frame rate at this point was still smooth, although I still can't figure out how to display FPS in VR yet.

If I increased the airspeed to above 400kts, When I did a max G level turn - it went crazy. The nose would move quickly up and down with the G reading moving rapidly between 3 to 6.5g as if I was rapidly pumping the stick. But the stick ws back in my lap the whole time without moving it.

I exited and then reloaded the same mission and the next time it flew normally. Normal 4-5 G smooth roll in for a dive bomb. Full max G to 7.5-8G was fine. I played this for a bit and then exited and reloaded the same instant mission. Again, about halfway through, it started the same behavior again. This time, I flew back to Nellis from the Range and noticed that my frame rate was really stuttering as soon as I got anywhere near the 3D buildings in the Vegas area. My video settings are exactly the same as always - no changes - that has always worked fine and had smooth frame rates on the Hornet and other modules even when flying over the Vegas strip or over Dubai in the PG modules.

I'm going to try again and see if I can replicate it and I'll try to remember to save a track this time :doh:

Edit to add: Flying this through Steam if that makes any difference.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Kinda have had the same thing happen when the autopilot Alt Hold is left on. Was really weird trying to figure out why the plane was fighting controls so much.

Also have had that weird stuttering issue when returning to Nellis but only a couple of times and could never reproduce it to see what was causing it.

A restart seemed to fix it and haven't had it happen in quite a while.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Hopefully with Track attached.

So it seems to be happening roughly every other time I load DCS. I created a basic SP mission just to practice on the NTTR range similar to the instant mission I referred to above. Loadout was 6xMK82 air, 6xCBU-87, 2x120C, 2x9x

Basically when its happening, anything below 400kts Cal limits the G to about 3.5g with full aft stick and the G maxes out and doesn't increase until you go above 400. Above 400 kts C, the nose then progressively stutters as it seems to hunt for the G loading. This happens whether its a level turn or vertical turn or any combo thereof. As the speed gets higher, like around 450C with the stick full aft, then the nose pumping becomes huge and the reading rapidly oscillating between 4-6+ Gs. Again its as if I was pumping the stick full deflection very rapidly in a PIO. But the stick is being held full aft and not moving it.

Mods, if you can tell me how to turn on the red stick and throttle indication window to show commanded position, I can try to replicate this again so you can see what's happening with the flight controls.

After seeing this, I exited the mission back to desktop, reloaded it and the next time it ran fine with no abbynormal issues that I could see. The 3rd time I ran it, it was back to the stuttering exactly as before.

Weird

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Hopefully with Track attached.

So it seems to be happening roughly every other time I load DCS. I created a basic SP mission just to practice on the NTTR range similar to the instant mission I referred to above. Loadout was 6xMK82 air, 6xCBU-87, 2x120C, 2x9x

Basically when its happening, anything below 400kts Cal limits the G to about 3.5g with full aft stick and the G maxes out and doesn't increase until you go above 400. Above 400 kts C, the nose then progressively stutters as it seems to hunt for the G loading. This happens whether its a level turn or vertical turn or any combo thereof. As the speed gets higher, like around 450C with the stick full aft, then the nose pumping becomes huge and the reading rapidly oscillating between 4-6+ Gs. Again its as if I was pumping the stick full deflection very rapidly in a PIO. But the stick is being held full aft and not moving it.

Mods, if you can tell me how to turn on the red stick and throttle indication window to show commanded position, I can try to replicate this again so you can see what's happening with the flight controls.

After seeing this, I exited the mission back to desktop, reloaded it and the next time it ran fine with no abbynormal issues that I could see. The 3rd time I ran it, it was back to the stuttering exactly as before.

Weird

Edit to add: Crap! The TRK file size is 5.13mb, just over the attachment limit :mad:

although I still can't figure out how to display FPS in VR yet.

Eugh, through the same key combo you use to display it in 2D. It works that way here (i use LCTRL + PAUSE) both in 2D and VR.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

@Notso,

That is pretty weird alright.

I did want to point out that in your OP you said;

"I thought I must have accidentally hit a button that limited the Gs but there is no such thing that I'm aware of."

There is a switch that does limit the amount of G's you can pull when you have a load of ordinance. It's the CAT I and CAT III setting. Generally, CAT I is with a A/A load-out (missiles and centerline tank IIRC) so a light A/C. And, CAT III is anything over that, typically an A/G mission.

However, CAT III would not limit you to that degree. I think it's a 4.5G limit. You will get a caution light if it's set incorrectly. Although that may still be WIP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

@Notso,

"I thought I must have accidentally hit a button that limited the Gs but there is no such thing that I'm aware of."

There is a switch that does limit the amount of G's you can pull when you have a load of ordinance. It's the CAT I and CAT III setting. Generally, CAT I is with a A/A load-out (missiles and centerline tank IIRC) so a light A/C. And, CAT III is anything over that, typically an A/G mission.

However, CAT III would not limit you to that degree. I think it's a 4.5G limit. You will get a caution light if it's set incorrectly. Although that may still be WIP.

theres a few more also,

refueling door

landing gear down

leaving auto pilot engaged

maybe more..

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

If he was landing or practicing AAR then of course you are correct. But since he was practicing bombing the CAT I-III switch seemed the most relevant to his OP and comment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

@Notso,

I tried it with the CAT I/III switch in both positions. same result.

Problem solved, I think. Pilot error (i.e. I'm a dumbass). The culprit was the A/R door was open. I have the A/R open/close switch mapped to one of the switches on my WH throttle and I didn't notice it would open it everytime I started the game based on the starting switch position.

So I tried the hard turns with it closed and open. As expected, normal behavior when closed. No G limit other than what would be normal. No nose pitch issues.

With the A/R door open, totally different behavior and it replicated the pitch oscillations each time.

Sorry..... <facepalm>

Eugh, through the same key combo you use to display it in 2D. It works that way here (i use LCTRL + PAUSE) both in 2D and VR.

I've tried that numerous times. It doesn't work on my computer. That key combo does a screenshot in Steam instead. Maybe its a Steam thing.