"Client" Late Activation

Midnight

Need some advice, I am almost sure I was able to activate a "client" aircraft at a later stage in a mission. It now seems that I am unable to do so again.

I Used:

Trigger Once>>Unit in Zone>>Group Activate and then chose the MP Client Aircraft.

Any help is appreciated!

Midnite Signature.jpg

552334314_MidniteSignature.jpg.7c1678ea5639bd6d044b092eb97c300e.jpg

Did you set the Client group to Late Activation?

The other method is to set the Start Time for the group to a time/day later than the mission Start Time.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Did you set the Client group to Late Activation?

The other method is to set the Start Time for the group to a time/day later than the mission Start Time.

WC

Late activation was set, will try the "Start Time" method although it will not suit my purpose.

Thanks for the input.

Midnite Signature.jpg

Clients generally over-ride any form of late activation. Setting a later start time... maybe, but late activation nope.

One way is to use scripting but its not really optimal and its quite similar to a method previously used. Basically you check if the client is alive when they shouldn't be and destroy it. Now people have used the explosion trigger, but there is a cleaner way to do it with scripting...

Switched Condition>Unit Alive and Flag x is false > Do Script Unit.getByName('unitsName'):destroy()

Its cleaner because it simply de-spawns the aircraft, which adds it back to the resource system, but also won't wreck the area it spawns around like an explosion would. I said its not optimal, because you are removing a player from the mission basically the moment they spawn in and they might not know or understand why.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I have some Ka-50s client slots in the iShot The Shilka mission that are set to a much later Start Time than the mission start - by at least a day.

These do get activated when vehicles enter a zone. If a Client tries to Join one of these Ka-50 slots before they are activated the Client gets a message that says the slot is not active -- but I don't recall exactly what the message says.

WC

Edited by Wrecking Crew

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

I have some Ka-50s client slots in the iShot The Shilka mission that are set to a much later Start Time than the mission start - by at least a day.

These do get activated when vehicles enter a zone. If a Client tries to Join one of these Ka-50 slots before they are activated the Client gets a message that says the slot is not active -- but I don't recall exactly what the message says.

WC

Thanks for the replies guys...Wrecking Crew, you mind checking if it still works in that mission of yours. I basically have the same setup for the triggers as you.

I have choppers activating a trigger when they land at a FARP to make four more "clients" slots available for spawning. I did try the Time delay, no luck tho.

Thanks again

Mid

Edited by Midnight

Midnite Signature.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys...Wrecking Crew, you mind checking if it still works in that mission of yours. I basically have the same setup for the triggers as you.

I have choppers activating a trigger when they land at a FARP to make four more "clients" slots available for spawning. I did try the Time delay, no luck tho.

Thanks again

Mid

Will do. I'll report back in a couple of hours.

WC

Wellll, this is disappointing.

When I join a "Late Activation" Ka-50 in iShot The Shilka I do not get any message that the slot is not currently active.

^^^ I misspoke in my post above - these Johnny-come-late Ka-50s do have the Late Activation checkbox checked; they do not use the older method of adding time/days to the group's Start Time.

In my best recollection these Ka-50 slots used to inform the Client that they were not yet available. Now when I join one at the beginning of the mission I get a message that says I joined a Ka-50 slot but there is no aircraft at the FARP. It sure seems to me that this functionality has changed; I would not have had these late activated slots in the mission if they had not been tested and found to work in a previous version.

Grimes, based upon what you said above about a Client should not be able to take advantage of the Late Activation checkbox, really, if Client, or Player, is selected, then the Late Activation checkbox should be greyed out or removed from the Group attributes panel. This is another issue of features that seem to be available but are not when it comes to prime time play.

Midnight - I will need to do a bunch of testing to try and get this resolved in my mission, but I cannot do it tonight.

WC

Well its never really been a feature of the game. As far as I can remember, people have had to "destroy" aircraft that spawn before intended. Really the only way to naturally prevent a client from spawning is via resource management by denying the aircraft type to an airbase. Exploding the unit used to be the only alternative, now we have Object.destroy and the resource system, both of which are much "cleaner".

WC, I wouldn't be shocked if you had been testing late activation in SP and had been getting the "flight not yet available" message. There are simply so many aspects of the sim that work differently in SP and MP for the host or clients. It might be a little more complex than simply removing the option but I get what you are saying though.

Midnight, I don't see how it can ruin your efforts given that alternatives exist...

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum