Pimax 8KX Benchmarks - DCS

TheHog107

RTX 3080Ti + Vulkan ? ;)

Im waiting for this ;D .... and first users opinions about 8KX. I dont want to have 20 fps in DCS ;D (and probably it will be). Sweviver did test with Shader mod according me, with very low settings and on desert part of PG map or flat Caucasus map with small quantity of trees. It isnt promising and factual any kind of benchmark.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Well at this point I’ll take the vid with a grain of salt. Why is independent MRTV put under NDA while sweviver as paid by pimax put a vid on YT. That’s something to think about. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

If DCS is sort of a struggle on Rift S or HP reverb (at least in multiplayer). I cannot see how it will run at playable framerates on 8KX...

Upsampling. Simply put it only uses as many "real" pixels as a Reverb, or at least close to that. Then cleverly upsamples (using its own hardware) that for the displays creating many more fake pixels.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

If DCS is sort of a struggle on Rift S or HP reverb (at least in multiplayer). I cannot see how it will run at playable framerates on 8KX...

I dont feel it that way. I got the Reverb running better than OR CV1 have during the three yeasrs i hade them for DCS.

New upgraded computer, still got the CV1, tride them...DCS running smooth for the most but not 100% of the time, and when not its ghosting. And stuttering, oculus ASW doesnt even come close to the reverb smooth gaming in DCS. All other games(not thast many really) is smooth with 90 fps with the CV1.

I am very happy with the Reverb.. I did plan to get Pimax 8KX but they wasnt availabe and also I need to se that it possible to make it a good gamiong experience in DCS.

So, the reverb came to be some kind of emergency buy but I’m happy I got them.

Edited by Gunnars Driver

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

for f@Ck sakes I just put up a link. Talk about special snowflakes.

Okay you got me I'm actually an alien from the planet Putar and my posts are designed to make it easier for our plans for world domination.....

sigh........

ha.......so you admit to being an ambassador to the planet Putar then ?? Knew we would find you out !!! Your world domination will never succeed tho :pilotfly:

Ps.

Any cheap tickets one way to Putar ? need to get off this crazy planet......

Anybody notice the total lack of shadows in the cockpit? Even worse was the horrible stuttering when flying at low level even when looking mostly forward? It's pretty easy to hide this effect by only ever looking forward, but as soon as the view looks to the side of the cockpit, it's stutter-city baby!

VR is fantastic if you like to look forwards all the time, preferably in a slow mover that doesn't have to get into close up dogfights. There's a reason the serious players only toyed with VR for a little while before moving back to 2D. I'd love to see some match ups between 2D and VR pilots in 1 v 1 and 4 v 4 battles. My money is on those who can see their displays and external foes better - the claim that VR totally dominates TrackIR when it comes to keeping track of bogeys is nonsense. Sure, it's *slightly* easier to remember an enemy's position outside of your aircraft (ever so slightly), but nowhere near as easy to actually see them.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

No More Pimax Content On MRTV Until Further Notice

From Pimax.....

"Dear all,

There was a new topic on the 8KX review and unboxing by MRTV-Sebastian posted on OpenMR community. It did occur some misunderstandings between Sebastian and Sweviver regarding this topic.

So we need to stand out to clarify and speak out on behalf of Pimax.

Firstly, we do appreciate the reviews from Sebastian on our 8KX model. He did analyze all the pros and cons of this model. With all these, we are clear enough to make further improvements.

The unit we sent to Sebastian, actually was a demo unit(same version as CES) which is not the Finished Product. Our colleague who is working closely with Sebastian was on a business trip, and she admitted someone to follow up the case. Somehow we made the mistakes by missed out the acknowledge letter inside the packaging, due to the Spring Festival break, there are quite a number of people were off from work, and handover was poor between us.

The content of acknowledging letter is normally regarding as below :

- What’s the version and stage of the sample?

- What’s the purpose of this sample sending to you?

- Which NDA should be bonded to this unit?

Unfortunately, we didn't lead Sebastian with the correct information, and it did occur miscommunication between him and Pimax. Hopefully, we are now good to clarify all the mistakes we made.

To let thing moves on, we plan to lift two NDAs that Sebastian signed last year before. But for this unit, it’s not a final version, so Sebastian can publish videos about it, but not full/final reviews, or calling it a Final Unit. We believe Sebastian, and we think he can understand and create good videos for the whole VR enthusiast community.

There’s nothing wrong with Martin and Sebastian. Please don’t blame either of them, they all done the right things, it’s our fault, the mistake causes the misunderstanding and we’re sorry for that. let’s close this topic by this official clarification. It’s just some unfortunate misunderstanding here due to missing the necessary acknowledge letter in the shipping package to Sebastian.

Have nice day.

Sincerely,

Quorra.Pimax"

Patrick

mini.gif

From Pimax.....

"Dear all,

There was a new topic on the 8KX review and unboxing by MRTV-Sebastian posted on OpenMR community. It did occur some misunderstandings between Sebastian and Sweviver regarding this topic.

So we need to stand out to clarify and speak out on behalf of Pimax.

Firstly, we do appreciate the reviews from Sebastian on our 8KX model. He did analyze all the pros and cons of this model. With all these, we are clear enough to make further improvements.

The unit we sent to Sebastian, actually was a demo unit(same version as CES) which is not the Finished Product. Our colleague who is working closely with Sebastian was on a business trip, and she admitted someone to follow up the case. Somehow we made the mistakes by missed out the acknowledge letter inside the packaging, due to the Spring Festival break, there are quite a number of people were off from work, and handover was poor between us.

The content of acknowledging letter is normally regarding as below :

- What’s the version and stage of the sample?

- What’s the purpose of this sample sending to you?

- Which NDA should be bonded to this unit?

Unfortunately, we didn't lead Sebastian with the correct information, and it did occur miscommunication between him and Pimax. Hopefully, we are now good to clarify all the mistakes we made.

To let thing moves on, we plan to lift two NDAs that Sebastian signed last year before. But for this unit, it’s not a final version, so Sebastian can publish videos about it, but not full/final reviews, or calling it a Final Unit. We believe Sebastian, and we think he can understand and create good videos for the whole VR enthusiast community.

There’s nothing wrong with Martin and Sebastian. Please don’t blame either of them, they all done the right things, it’s our fault, the mistake causes the misunderstanding and we’re sorry for that. let’s close this topic by this official clarification. It’s just some unfortunate misunderstanding here due to missing the necessary acknowledge letter in the shipping package to Sebastian.

Have nice day.

Sincerely,

Quorra.Pimax"

Kudos to Pimax for taking responsibility for this simple misunderstanding. Great honesty showed on their behalf, and I've gained much respect towards them for doing so.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Good grief, I am not paid to promote Pi-Max. I just shared a link guys! Just like I'm sure anyone else would for Reverb FPS result or Index Results. Yes I do own a Pimax 5K+ and am happy with it. I'm excited about new VR tech coming out as I thought others would be as well. I am a mostly casual gamer and like VR for the feeling of being there.

Don't sweat it. I'm not so sure why people when CSI on you.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

No More Pimax Content On MRTV Until Further Notice

Wait, I though he went to work for PiMax? Or is it a different company (or person, LOL) that I'm thinking of?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well at this point I’ll take the vid with a grain of salt. Why is independent MRTV put under NDA while sweviver as paid by pimax put a vid on YT. That’s something to think about. :D

Ahhhh I was thinking of a different reviewer. Also Pimax has a right to protect themselves with NDA. For example a reviewer may have it setup incorrectly causing a negative review. Not everything belongs in the X-Files category of conspiracy.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Even worse was the horrible stuttering when flying at low level even when looking mostly forward? It's pretty easy to hide this effect by only ever looking forward, but as soon as the view looks to the side of the cockpit, it's stutter-city baby!

I am allergic to stuttering, really, i hate it!! That and shimmering. Did i say yet that i i hate it... well i do!!

But the same problem you describe above exist in 2D with TrackIR if your FPS drops below the refreshrate of your monitor (or you could say the set VSync rate). It stutters slightly when dropping below the refreshrate and gets worse the more you divert from it. And the faster you move, the more it shows.

This means that you demand more of your system then it can deliver. If you lower your gamesettings up to a point where you can hold that FPS above the VSync rate, you are good. And then it's up to you the deal with this. Either you accept the lower setting and have a smooth ride or you don't accept lower settings and accept the stutter. But if you don't accept one of them, you have a problem!!!

A solution is to buy a new more powerfull system which can deliver what you are looking for (but that might not even be available on the market yet).

When going VR i had to accept lower settings but i can tell you that my DCS World doesn't stutter when i look sideways. It was either that or putting VR to the side and continue in 2D (which i still do for learning purposes).

You on the other hand, did not accept what i just wrote above. Which means that the problem you have with VR is just your problem.

Now stop whining and bitching about it. You had your share, you made your point, just move on in 2D.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I am allergic to stuttering, really, i hate it!! That and shimmering. Did i say yet that i i hate it... well i do!!

But the same problem you describe above exist in 2D with TrackIR if your FPS drops below the refreshrate of your monitor (or you could say the set VSync rate). It stutters slightly when dropping below the refreshrate and gets worse the more you divert from it. And the faster you move, the more it shows.

This means that you demand more of your system then it can deliver. If you lower your gamesettings up to a point where you can hold that FPS above the VSync rate, you are good. And then it's up to you the deal with this. Either you accept the lower setting and have a smooth ride or you don't accept lower settings and accept the stutter. But if you don't accept one of them, you have a problem!!!

A solution is to buy a new more powerfull system which can deliver what you are looking for (but that might not even be available on the market yet).

When going VR i had to accept lower settings but i can tell you that my DCS World doesn't stutter when i look sideways. It was either that or putting VR to the side and continue in 2D (which i still do for learning purposes).

You on the other hand, did not accept what i just wrote above. Which means that the problem you have with VR is just your problem.

Now stop whining and bitching about it. You had your share, you made your point, just move on in 2D.

This is a public forum, and I'm allowed to point out the issues with promotional videos selling expensive HMDs. If we don't discuss these problems, people will buy the new Pimax and possibly end up disappointed. I was simply stating that the Pimax promotional video was set up in a set of circumstances that don't reflect the true experience.

As for stuttering in 2D with TRACKIR, I get a solid 60fps with everything maxed. It's smooth as silk, and looks gorgeous. I can't wait for the day when VR looks as good. For that to happen, DCS must meet the minimum framerates VR required, as set out by Valve, Oculus and the other VR stakeholders. Currently it run at around half that.

This is a public forum, and I'm allowed to point out the issues with promotional videos selling expensive HMDs. If we don't discuss these problems, people will buy the new Pimax and possibly end up disappointed. I was simply stating that the Pimax promotional video was set up in a set of circumstances that don't reflect the true experience.

As for stuttering in 2D with TRACKIR, I get a solid 60fps with everything maxed. It's smooth as silk, and looks gorgeous. I can't wait for the day when VR looks as good. For that to happen, DCS must meet the minimum framerates VR required, as set out by Valve, Oculus and the other VR stakeholders. Currently it run at around half that.

I guess you must have a vsync monitor since you should be getting WAY better performance with your rig. If you don't have vsync monitor (or gsync), something is SERIOUSLY hosed with your system. You should be in the 100s of FPS. Having said that, I see zero benefit between 60 and 100 FPS in DCS. It makes no difference to me visually. It's not like we're playing first person shooter where faster refresh can make a difference lining up a shot.

Finally, people have reported that having vsync enabled causes VR issues, but I'm sure you've checked that already.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Great example of a thread getting highjacked, 4 pages with none of it having to do with the 8kx benchmarks with DCS.

Yep amazing isn't it...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It was running very smooth with my testing on a 2080ti. Some of the factors that I think contributed were the fact that you don't need to turn up steam ss to get the clarity and they also had the mask thing running from the vr shaders mod that only renders what is visible on screen

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Upsampling. Simply put it only uses as many "real" pixels as a Reverb, or at least close to that. Then cleverly upsamples (using its own hardware) that for the displays creating many more fake pixels.
You're getting mixed up with the original pimax 8k or the artisan. The 8kx uses no upscaling

I was able to check out the pimax 8kx at CES and I can confirm that it is great! Instead of writing a new post here, I'll redirect you to my Reddit post where I compare it to some other headsets and give my quick thoughts on it

Very interesting comparison, thanks for that!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

It was running very smooth with my testing on a 2080ti. Some of the factors that I think contributed were the fact that you don't need to turn up steam ss to get the clarity and they also had the mask thing running from the vr shaders mod that only renders what is visible on screen

So totally useless online since that won't pass IC. And I'm super skeptical about the fact you only had the Free planes to fly. I think the FC3 planes get way better frames since there is less running in the background.

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this set, I was an early adopter for the Reverb, but after all the problems pimax has had over the years I'm gonna let someone else be the guinea pig for this. The only other set that looks interesting won't hit till next year, but should have double the PPD of the reverb, and a comparable FOV.

Clarity wise it sounds like its in the ballpark of the reverb, with better colors (thank god), and much better FOV, is that fairly accurate?

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

So totally useless online since that won't pass IC. And I'm super skeptical about the fact you only had the Free planes to fly. I think the FC3 planes get way better frames since there is less running in the background.

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this set, I was an early adopter for the Reverb, but after all the problems pimax has had over the years I'm gonna let someone else be the guinea pig for this. The only other set that looks interesting won't hit till next year, but should have double the PPD of the reverb, and a comparable FOV.

Clarity wise it sounds like its in the ballpark of the reverb, with better colors (thank god), and much better FOV, is that fairly accurate?

Yepp, if pimax has got the software good enough to make 8KX run on present GPU/CPU then…

I think a shader the same as the shader mod but native from DCS themself would be highly wished for.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

• 3 months later...

The mask from the shaders mod has no probs with ic. But it's a moot point now that the mask is a part of the latest patch.

The clarity of the 8kx was definitely a step up from the reverb, just not as big as I was expecting. But, that's comparing the 8kx at 100% ss to reverb at 188%. So it's pretty amazing that it still has better resolution with those settings. I see the 8kx going well into the future when better vid cards come out and increasing the ss.

• 3 months later...

That's what I'm banking on. Getting a headset that just gets better as the hardware catches up.

I currently have the Reverb and Pimax 5k. After using the 5k, I just can't go back to the soda straw view in the Reverb. For me, the FOV is king, even if it means less resolution.

Waiting patiently for the 8KX to be readily available, and the 3090...

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

• 1 month later...
That's what I'm banking on. Getting a headset that just gets better as the hardware catches up.

I currently have the Reverb and Pimax 5k. After using the 5k, I just can't go back to the soda straw view in the Reverb. For me, the FOV is king, even if it means less resolution.

Waiting patiently for the 8KX to be readily available, and the 3090...

Got the 3090 and the 8kx.....Steam setting at 100% and nothing special in Pitool....got a lot of stuff setup to the max in DCS. Still get only around 40 FPS...