Huey Cargo Camera View / External Cargo Indicator

ZBoT

I'm new to the Huey and working on my cargo skills. I'm having trouble knowing when I am hovering exactly over the cargo to pick it up (and drop it off). It looks like there used to be a cargo camera (which is still in the key bindings) but from searching it seems that it was removed.

I also see a 'External cargo indicator' in the key mappings but that doesn't seem to do anything either. Has this also been removed? Looking for tips to on how to precisely hover over a cargo or drop zone. Thanks!

Windows 10 x64 | i5-9600K | ASUS RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 256GB & 1TB SSD | GIGABYTE Z390 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Virpil WarBRD | Slaw RX Viper v2 | TrackIR 5 | Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC

Cargo Indicator workin last I checked.

Remember, a cargo has to be selected for the indicator to appear.

The Cargo Camera was decommissioned but revived in Holton181's mod https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3622861

If you use it, remember it only comes on when you're airborne.

Also, check out "Cargo View" in View Category. The vanilla version of this view can be disorienting. A fix for this, however, can also be found in Holton's mod.

Have fun.

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Is it "safe" to install this mod without risking to break my own shortcut keys?

You might want to post this question on the mod thread linked but, if you’re using OvGME or JSJME you can test the mod with impunity,

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Cargo Indicator workin last I checked.

Remember, a cargo has to be selected for the indicator to appear.

The Cargo Camera was decommissioned but revived in Holton181's mod https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3622861

If you use it, remember it only comes on when you're airborne.

Also, check out "Cargo View" in View Category. The vanilla version of this view can be disorienting. A fix for this, however, can also be found in Holton's mod.

Have fun.

Thanks Chic!!! This helped me out a lot knowing the indicator should be working. I did some testing and found that it actually is working, but it's being displayed very small on my 2nd monitor (which I used to export MFD's, etc). I need to figure out how to move this now. Any idea how to do that?

Thanks for the "Cargo View" suggestion. I hadn't noticed that and it does work for me. Like you mentioned it is very disorienting, so I am going to look into the mod you provided but I ran out of time.

Ultimately I would like to get the cargo indicator moved onto my primary monitor so I can use that now while learning. Eventually (once I get better at this) I would like to use the Cargo View as it seems more realistic.

Thanks again for your post, it helped a lot!

Windows 10 x64 | i5-9600K | ASUS RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 256GB & 1TB SSD | GIGABYTE Z390 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Virpil WarBRD | Slaw RX Viper v2 | TrackIR 5 | Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC

My gentle recommendation would be to try not using these 'artificial' aids.

Doing so will likely slow your progress in developing your natural sense of positioning within the virtual 3D space (i.e. knowing where you are in relation to cargo, objects or points on the ground that you cannot see below you).

I don't claim great expertise myself, but I do now feel much more comfortable creating and maintaining in my mind the perception of where I am in relation to points below me.

When approaching a cargo, I'll automatically build a subconscious awareness of reference points around it (buildings, trees, patterns/textures on the ground etc.) and from my peripheral vision I use these references to help me triangulate where the cargo is likely to be once it dissapears out of view below me.

Also, we have verbal callouts guiding us ("forward 10", "left 20").

Arguably, some real life cargo operations in the Huey would likey use a cargo mirror on the skids. A mirror might not help us much though since having such reduced peripheral vision in a sim like this means that it could be very tricky to maintain a hover while having our head down trying to focus on and understand what we see on a small mirror down so low.

Well, I guess practice can solve most problems.

My gentle recommendation would be to try not using these 'artificial' aids.

Doing so will likely slow your progress in developing your natural sense of positioning within the virtual 3D space (i.e. knowing where you are in relation to cargo, objects or points on the ground that you cannot see below you).

I don't claim great expertise myself, but I do now feel much more comfortable creating and maintaining in my mind the perception of where I am in relation to points below me.

When approaching a cargo, I'll automatically build a subconscious awareness of reference points around it (buildings, trees, patterns/textures on the ground etc.) and from my peripheral vision I use these references to help me triangulate where the cargo is likely to be once it dissapears out of view below me.

Also, we have verbal callouts guiding us ("forward 10", "left 20").

Arguably, some real life cargo operations in the Huey would likey use a cargo mirror on the skids. A mirror might not help us much though since having such reduced peripheral vision in a sim like this means that it could be very tricky to maintain a hover while having our head down trying to focus on and understand what we see on a small mirror down so low.

Well, I guess practice can solve most problems.

Excellent information! Thank you!! I definitely need more practice. Perhaps it is best I don't get used to the indicator like you suggest.

Very good advice indeed, MeerCat.

At the moment I'm moving my view with my joysticks hat view, which is awfull. I've ordered TrackIR5 from Amazon, but it takes apparently ages to send something from California to Norway :(

When the TrackIR is installed I believe it might be easier for me to get a mental view of the space I'm operating within

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

I need to figure out how to move this now. Any idea how to do that?

See if this still works https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=136046

JUST CHOPPERS

When the TrackIR is installed I believe it might be easier for me to get a mental view of the space I'm operating within

As night and day!

And yes, the MOD I made should not mess with your key assignments. I haven't tried 2.5.6 yet so I don't know if it will introduce issues with it, but I doubt it will. Otherwise I will correct it an publish a new 2.5.6 compatible version as soon as possible.

Lycka till med slingträningen!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Thanks for the "Cargo View" suggestion. I hadn't noticed that and it does work for me. Like you mentioned it is very disorienting, so I am going to look into the mod you provided but I ran out of time.

If you like, you can try another small MOD by me, slightly less disorienting...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207776

And by the way, the MOD mentioned by Chic in post #2 has been updated with a 2.5.6 version if needed.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

If you like, you can try another small MOD by me, slightly less disorienting...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207776

And by the way, the MOD mentioned by Chic in post #2 has been updated with a 2.5.6 version if needed.

Excellent!! I will definitely try your mod to make Cargo View more natural. I would like to use that view as it seem the most "realistic". Thanks for all your hard work on creating these mods AND keeping them updated!!