Mig-29 updated cockpit looks weird

Looks like they forgot to enable the ambient occlusion layer, or include it all together.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

It's hard to tell from a static picture but maybe they're using 'flatter' textures so that the new lighting can work its magic?

Under the new renderer the current Su-27/33 cockpits look like cartoons because of all the fake shading applied to the dials and contours.

Following the disscusion about this from the patch notes thread...anyone else experiencing this?...another pic showing how weird and ugly it looks...it looks much worse than before :cry::

You were completely right ... I hadn't realized that I had enabled a moded cockpit, and thus I was using the older textures ... justr tried the standard one and it really looks awful with that very light grey coloring :(

What a pity ... I will keep using the cockpit mod, as I cant stand the new cockpit :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I think the difference is more than obvious.

OB Mig-29 is much less readable, less contrast between dark and bright effects, lettering is barely visible at normal FOV on some instruments. Is much worse now, sorry Nine but i think is so obvious something is wrong here.

Some comparison pics

RELEASE:

T8Y6pfJ.jpg

OPEN BETA:

ypadTdW.jpg

RELEASE:

HcxrKFT.jpg

OPEN BETA:

mTCn4XG.jpg

RELEASE:

R4BK5s7.jpg

OPEN BETA:

8Rti5C0.jpg

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Well If you dont see any difference on my pics, not much to say at this point.

For me is like day and night. And using Release version textures over OB is not working. Green error.

Anyway i will get use to that but the new cockpit is much worse now. Sorry to say that.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

To repeat myself from earlier, you can clearly see its either missing the ambient occlusion layer, or they forgot to enable it in their PSD files, when exporting the DDS files, or its intentionally toned down a lot. Just compare the right and left hand side screenshots, and look at the rivets/screws. Their contact shadow is all but missing for example, and shading is almost none existing all over.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Sorry Nineline but it looks horrible.

The old cockpit looked way better. Except for the conflict with d shading.

I was hoping for something really beautiful but I guess my expectations were wrong.

Prefer a reroll on that pit and get a proper replacement one

g8PjVMw.png

Here is what I am seeing in the current Open Beta.

why posting an image at dusk?

Well If you dont see any difference on my pics, not much to say at this point.

For me is like day and night. And using Release version textures over OB is not working. Green error.

Anyway i will get use to that but the new cockpit is much worse now. Sorry to say that.

Absolutely, it looks way worse than before.

To repeat myself from earlier, you can clearly see its either missing the ambient occlusion layer, or they forgot to enable it in their PSD files, when exporting the DDS files, or its intentionally toned down a lot. Just compare the right and left hand side screenshots, and look at the rivets/screws. Their contact shadow is all but missing for example, and shading is almost none existing all over.

that was the first thing I posted in other thread...after messing a bit with the textures, I can confirm that some textures dont have the occlusion map (it's pure white) in their roughmets so there is the problem...however, many others have a proper occlusion so not sure if they just forget about these (maybe the new ones) or what but definitely thats not fine and should be corrected...

I also feel quite dissapointed about this, I expected some nice love for the MIG-29's cockpit, at least fixing the issue with the old looking pre-baked (and annoying) HUD iridiscence/weathering texture but it's still there and of course now the problem with the occlusion map :noexpression:

Take a look at my MODS here

Now I'm sat in the cockpit the only thing that looks weird to me is the HUD assembly - it's too light; it sort of looks like it's been transplanted from a different game. Maybe it's correct but it does look a bit odd.

But the rest is fine.

r3Mrbk7.jpg

rNleCRH.jpg

Ojb2ScH.jpg

Edited by Lixma 06

• ED Team
It is probably a bug of some sorts. NineLine's cockpit looks different. We are not looking at the same thing. NineLine, would you post a zip of your textures so we can see if it differs in game?

I am using the current Open Beta release for those.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Doing some more tests on the cockpit textures. Might be that the new textures are a bit sensitive to light and gamma? They look good flying through clouds or with instrument lighting on. But in direct sunlight they get this flat white-ish look. Also, HUD is still a bit messy.

Otherwise, great update. Loving it so far :)

after a few minutes looking at the textures (I mean in photoshop), I think they were made with hurry...there are many parts with pure colors and zero detail, many repeated paterns and same for the roughmets (with also crused blacks/whites), appart of the missing occlusion info...not what I expected.

Just noticed a thing...some textures looks like this in my PS:

1539199233-sin-titulo.jpg

and all the normal maps files also look odd:

1539199234-sin-titulo-jpg12.jpg

dont know if there is something different in the files and my PS dont read them correctly or they are corrupted...can someone confirm this??...will try to repair...

Edited by watermanpc

I think the difference is more than obvious.

OB Mig-29 is much less readable, less contrast between dark and bright effects, lettering is barely visible at normal FOV on some instruments. Is much worse now, sorry Nine but i think is so obvious something is wrong here.

Some comparison pics

RELEASE:

T8Y6pfJ.jpg

OPEN BETA:

ypadTdW.jpg

In my opinion they first taking the Mig-29G textures. That’s why the difference

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]