Lags and stutters - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
Goa

I find mSAA4 to be very jaggy after the last patches....I mean anti-aliasing seems to be "off" even if its set at 4x....

Will try again SSAA 1.5.....
  • CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+ 500GB Samsung 850 evo / GPU:Asus geforce strix O.C 1080TI / Monitor: Asus PG278QR 144HZ / Trackir 5 proclip/ TM Warthdog Hotas /TM TFFRP rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black
Goa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:10 AM   #12
TexasWarbird

Anyone have any tips for A2A? Every time I hit something with a missile I get a pause. I've tried all sorts of nvida settings. Graphics adjustments. It's on a Raid 0 SSD, and I'm stumped..My next stop is an M2 sata drive or switching to DX12.

Are their any other recommendations I'm not finding on the forums?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_181018_201117.png
Views:	48
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	196233  
Old 10-19-2018, 01:23 AM   #13
brianjmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa View Post
I find mSAA4 to be very jaggy after the last patches....I mean anti-aliasing seems to be "off" even if its set at 4x....

Will try again SSAA 1.5.....
I went from MSAA to SSAA 1.5 and have been very happy with the results. For me, SSAA looks better with equal to better performance. Good luck, hopefully you have similiar results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWarbird View Post
Anyone have any tips for A2A? Every time I hit something with a missile I get a pause. I've tried all sorts of nvida settings. Graphics adjustments. It's on a Raid 0 SSD, and I'm stumped..My next stop is an M2 sata drive or switching to DX12.

Are their any other recommendations I'm not finding on the forums?
No tips here. I experience the same stutters/pauses with every weapons impact in air to air engagements. There are several posts around the forums about this. I have not seen an ED response and I don’t think there really is much we can do on our end to address this issue.
Windows 10 64-bit | Intel i5-7600K @4.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4/3200MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB and 250GB | ASUS Prime Z270-A | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 | Dell 27" 2560x1440p 144Hz GSYNC | Saitek X-55 HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core Headset
brianjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #14
Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmac View Post
I went from MSAA to SSAA 1.5 and have been very happy with the results. For me, SSAA looks better with equal to better performance. Good luck, hopefully you have similiar results.

No tips here. I experience the same stutters/pauses with every weapons impact in air to air engagements. There are several posts around the forums about this. I have not seen an ED response and I don’t think there really is much we can do on our end to address this issue.
there a reply from Nineline to one of my post in regards to stutters/pause when for example you eject, maybe its somehow also related : apparently when something occures there are stutters.

Btw now I am playing with MSAA2 and SSAA 1.5 and the game looks awesome!
  • CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+ 500GB Samsung 850 evo / GPU:Asus geforce strix O.C 1080TI / Monitor: Asus PG278QR 144HZ / Trackir 5 proclip/ TM Warthdog Hotas /TM TFFRP rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black
Old 10-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #15
coach

Quote:

Btw now I am playing with MSAA2 and SSAA 1.5 and the game looks awesome!
This was suggested by somebody elsewhere on the forum (cannot find the og post, maybe it was you?), and it puzzled me: how can using 2 AA methods on top of each other be performance friendly?

Yet, I tried, and wow the game does indeed look much better in VR (without any noticeable performance loss, although I tested with ASW ON). It seems that SSAA alone is not good enough to kill the "large" jaggies which are taken care of by the MSAA. Can someone explain this to me? Anyway, great find!
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #16
Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
This was suggested by somebody elsewhere on the forum (cannot find the og post, maybe it was you?), and it puzzled me: how can using 2 AA methods on top of each other be performance friendly?

Yet, I tried, and wow the game does indeed look much better in VR (without any noticeable performance loss, although I tested with ASW ON). It seems that SSAA alone is not good enough to kill the "large" jaggies which are taken care of by the MSAA. Can someone explain this to me? Anyway, great find!
yep that was me, before some of the previous patches you could only run one or the other anti-aliasing methods as using them together it was a big hit for fps, but the something changed and MSAA 4X was still ugly, because appaerently the devs have lower its strenght, so now you can run both MASAA and SSAA , just 2 type of anti-aliasing methods that can work together

Last edited by Goa; 10-19-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #17
Mustang
Veteran

Quote:
yep that was me, before some of the previous patches you could only run one or the other anti-aliasing methods as using them together it was a big hit for fps, but the something changed and MSAA 4X was still ugly, because appaerently the devs have lower its strenght, so now you can run both MASAA and SSAA , just 2 type of anti-aliasing methods that can work together
Yep I've now settled on MSAAx2 and SSAAx1.5 and the balance of performance and image quality is just great (as you know I has it set to SSAAx2 before but I backed off now)
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #18
BitMaster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Yep I've now settled on MSAAx2 and SSAAx1.5 and the balance of performance and image quality is just great (as you know I has it set to SSAAx2 before but I backed off now)

exactly my settings too it's a sweetspot around 60fps @ QHD

I wonder how 4k guys do that if the 1080ti has to struggle hard at QHD already.
What am I missing here ? The 4k-Turbo knob ?
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #19
Headwarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
exactly my settings too it's a sweetspot around 60fps @ QHD

I wonder how 4k guys do that if the 1080ti has to struggle hard at QHD already.
What am I missing here ? The 4k-Turbo knob ?
AFAIK you're a 1440P user, with SSAA 1.5 and MSAA 2x aren't you pretty much running @4k with msaa on?

People on triple monitor setups, or 21:9 or 4k are already high resolution. Supersampling even 1.5x is a slide show on my 980Ti on a native 3440x1440 monitor. For SSAA 1.5x just multiply. (1.5*horizontal resolution)x(1.5*vertical resolution) and the numbers will probably speak for themself.

Upside to VR I guess is that you can change pixel density in increments of 10% instead of 50%. Downside it won't be as clear a picture as a monitor no matter what you do. More upsides - depth perception (i'm 6 foot from that wall, or I'm inches away from my hud after learning forward) and spotting blurry objects in the sky at a distance. Well, I guess if you SS through SteamVR rather than the pixel density setting in DCS you can do it in increments of 1%.

As I wait for my 2080Ti to showup.. I can't help but mention that DLSS sounds amazing and like a solution to all of our anti-aliasing performance woes and I think we should all talk Eagle Dynamics into sending nVidia code to get it implemented. It's okay to lol at me for that. The value of the 20 series cards would go way way up for DCS World pilots. $500-$600 2070 i can't help but imagine would be a bit impresive if the tech were put to use, where without it it seems to rest almost exactly in the middle of a 1080 and a 1080Ti performancewise. Without DLSS they just look sad at those pricetags.

This turned into a wordy summary of what's been going through my mind with my limited research into DLSS and what it can do. I would like some clarity from nVidia on the "We'll implement the code for free" statements from nvidia employees. Free for all or for partnered developers? The SDK is still unavailable for download, but the "Download" button is there for whenever they have it ready for the public. It links you to a "Notify me" submission form at the bottom of the page. It says specifically on the bottom of the page "Can be implemented into any game." I'm going to save the rest of my thoughts for threads about RTX features, but the only feature I'm interested in from 20 series atm is the future of DLSS. That's an AI enhanced anti-aliasing feature I believe will be relevant to discussions about AA's effects on performance. I could be completely wrong though as hands on experience isn't readily available to us yet. I'm hoping it lives up to the hype, in which case I'd happily be an advocate for it's implementation. I also wouldn't be against the same for AMD if they manage an appropriate response, which is still in the air as we don't know if Navi is going to provide anything that beats 1080Ti's performance with rastorization, much less if they're going to feel a need to respond to RTX specific technology. They've been doing good with CPU's, we'll see with GPUs.

This move from nvidia is going to either be an impressive advancement in graphics technology whether it be DLSS or lighting effects or the fumble that gives AMD a chance to catch up similar to skylake/kabylake/coffee lake and Ryzen. And I'm wondering what AMD's response to the whole AI enhanced graphics thing will be. (Yeah this is the short version, too much free time I know)
Win 10 pro 64bit i7 8700k @ 4.9ghz (all cores) - EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, 16GB DDR4 3200 16CAS, 970 Evo 250Gb boot drive, pny 480gb sata 3 SSDx2, 4TB HDD - Acer Predator x34 (3440x1440@100hz), Samsung Odyssey WMR, - Peripherals = msffb2 for heli/prop planes, warthog (for jets), -Warthog throttle, Logitech G13, MFG Crosswinds

Last edited by Headwarp; 10-21-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: I got off topic.
Headwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #20
Goa

as of now 2080ti is waste of money.....all reviews aroound the world are telling this, best value for games is a 1080ti

Tags
stutters