Recommended gear for DCS

Recommended gear for DCS  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Recommended gear for DCS

• Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog
    • Other

We save, we buy cheap, we love the sim. We eventually buy better or ultimately best gear, but passion has gone. The moral - buy as good stuff as you can right from the start :), and enjoy this game at full.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

We save, we buy cheap, we love the sim. We eventually buy better or ultimately best gear, but passion has gone. The moral - buy as good stuff as you can right from the start :), and enjoy this game at full.

Well I just started dcs this summer.

And running with the virpil, warthog throttle and MFG crosswinds.

And the virpil throttle should be in the mail but there is no action on the tracking number so far :huh:

I kind of also want the Gunfighter but my hotas is now almost as expensive as my pc and that wasn't exactly budget either...

I'm absolutely loving the crosswinds and virpil stick.

The warthog throttle kind of almost just manage to keep up in comparison.

But since that isn't crazy enough.

I have already started devising a plan to build a hall sensor based helicopter collective and button panels.

Cause I obviously will need more than what the stick, and both throttle units can provide right ?

And this project just took another crazy step since I just ordered a 3d printer..

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I just bought my 3rd Warthog. I think they're using a better grease now. maybe better QC on the gimbal too. It's as smooth as can be. The stiff spring is behind a lot of it's problems. I replaced it with a lighter green spring that are for sale. It made a world of difference.

I don't remember the big black spring being coated with grease before. It sure is now and it's a thicker sticky grease. I think TM is trying to fix the stiction problem. I have zero in this new one.

btw..It works perfect for the P-51 and jets.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

• 8 months later...

The final answer is as always: It depends highly on budget and what you want to achieve. All the prices are referenced to central europe, and may vary a lot to where you live. When I started, I went from an old MS Sidewinder FFB2 with a secondhand TrackIR5 over TM T1600m to Warthog with MFG Crosswinds and Oculus Rift + new PC. This cost a lot. My Suggestion is to go cheap first with a T16000m and fly extensively. If you decide to stay, go balls deep and invest that coin into premium or top end. If you're updating your gear from quality-step to quality-step, you'll spend a lot of dollars into stuff you can't sell anymore for the same price.

Headtracker:

Natural Point TrackIR5. ~150$

Maybe have a look at those free softwares for webcam use:

facetracknoir

freetrack

opentrack

H.O.T.A.S

Budget: ~70$

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X: Cheap, some buttons, full scale throttle... you'll be okay when combined with a keyboard. You have a twist stick, so you won't need Pedals. It won't feel premium, but it's okay and you can fly planes with it and have the "trigger and throttle" feel. It has not enough buttons and is generally not really a good HOTAS - I'd go for the more expensive Thrustmaster T16000m with throttle, but without pedals - you'll end up at ~140$ and have much more potential.

Medium Budget: ~200$

Thrusmaster T16000m HOTAS with Pedals. It's a good solution for beginners with a fullscale throttle, a lot of buttons and some functional pedals, you will be able to fly most planes and helicopters with this setup efficiently and have enough buttons to control them decently. Hands off the Saitek / Logitec sticks, the buttons tend to break easily and are too light (rhino) - they were actually not bad, but there is a QC issue atm.

Premium: ~750$

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with MFG Crosswinds: That is a premium solution with decent gimbals, a lot of buttons, a good rudder control (the stick is not twistable, so you'll need some pedals). The base of the warthog has a known lubrication problem and gets sticky with time. You will need to fix that after 6 months - 1 year, depending on usage.

High End: ~1200$ +

VKB Stick or Virpil Stick and Virpil Throttle with deskmounts. The thrustmaster TPR pedals or the Slaw Device Viper. This is without question the Top End.

VR Glasses:

Oculus Rift S (best bang for buck option ATM) 450$

Oculus Rift (atm a super cheap second hand option, maybe to start with) ~250$

HTC Vive Pro (too expensive for what it is) ~1500$

Valve Index (not released yet)

Pixmax 5k (8K) (an exotic VR Goggle with a lot of potential) ~900$

Edited by Captain_Deveraux

I bought the TM Warthog about 2 years ago. It was a big improvement over my old Logitech joystick. This month I got the Virpil WarBRD base together with the Mongoos T50 CM2 grip. I was surprised how much better this is compared to Warthog stick. I'm still using my Warthog throttle though.

And tomorrow my Slaw Device Viper RX pedals will finally arrive and replace my Thrustmaster TFRP.

i7-8700K, 32 GB DDR4-3200, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7, Asus TUF RTX 3090, Samsung 960 Evo M.2 1 TB, WD Blue 4 TB, TrackIR 5, Virpil WarBRD-Base, Virpil Mongoos T50 CM2 Grip, Virpil Mongoos T-50 CM2 Throttle, Slaw Device RX Viper, LG 34GN850 @ 3440 x 1440

Would not recommend the TFlight Hotas.X, need more HAT switches for DCS.

For getting started, I'd say:

Thrustmaster 16000 stick and throttle. (Or TWCS Throttle and CH Fighterstick used)

Track IR

Your upgrade path will then be to add rudder pedals, and a better stick (Warthog, or something similar).

I bought the TM Warthog about 2 years ago. It was a big improvement over my old Logitech joystick. This month I got the Virpil WarBRD base together with the Mongoos T50 CM2 grip. I was surprised how much better this is compared to Warthog stick. I'm still using my Warthog throttle though.

And tomorrow my Slaw Device Viper RX pedals will finally arrive and replace my Thrustmaster TFRP.

Enjoy it! I understand SLAWs are awesome!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1