How is Combined Arms in VR?

It is a shame really, DCS has been one of the best VR experiences since I got a Rift CV1 five years ago, those aircraft cockpits are beautifully realised and it's such a pleasure landing the Huey on the back of a ship or flying the Hornet or Spitfire pretty much anywhere. Combined Arms could have been an amazing experience, but it feels like the forgotten child that no one ever really liked.

• Like 2

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

• 4 months later...
On 4/16/2017 at 6:24 PM, scudrunner said:

At the moment, at least for me, it's unusable in VR.

Upon entering a vehicle, turning your head provides the opposite direction it should (left and right), which is immediately nausea inducing. Entering and selecting JTAC mode makes it serviceable to drop your smoke or lase or whatever, but that's the max of it.

Just tried this again in VR (DCS 2.7.1.6430 Open Beta) and this has been fixed now. The head movement axis is now in sync. If you turn your head left, the view rotates left.  So ED has been making big improvements for Combined Arms in VR. It’s still a work in progress though. Jumping in the driver seats in a Hummer was amazing. Your VR head aligns with the drivers head and you see his body along with the passenger and top gunner. I assigned accelerator pedal to the rudder toe brake axis and steering to the rudder channel. Was having a blast driving. The gunner on top was completely usable.  I assigned the gun movement to the joystick axis.  So you can move the gun independently from your VR head. Just hit your center view hot key if you want to look down the barrel again. The overlays are positioned better but still work in progress. The scale was slightly off so the edges of the text was not visible but at least it is centered in respect to the VR view. Just couldn’t see info such as what gear you are in and the chassis orientation graphics was half cutoff. Binocular view needs work. Couldn’t get hot some hot keys to map such as laser. It works if you hit “L” but it wouldn’t work if I assigned it to joystick button press. But NVG on/off did work via joystick button map. The aiming axis in binoculars needs work. Shooting smoke is not aligned with center cross. The smokes hits somewhere between 2 and 3 ticks left of center cross. Also the center cross is way different location depending on which eye you are focusing on.  I also tried the Manpad and SA-19 a little but not much. Manpad I had to assign movement to the joystick trim hat and missile tube to joystick axis. That worked well. Tilted my head right a little then re-center view. That allowed for the guy to jog and not have the tube in your face as you run. It puts it more slightly to the right so you have enjoyable view of the terrain.   Small bug there was re-center view key aligns your view to the tube but it also turns the guy to face a certain compass direction. It didn’t center view on my current bearing. Over all though, it was a major improvement from just a few weeks ago when I tried this last.  Combined Arms is turning out to be awesome. 

Edit: Discovered that even during the daytime, you can use the NVG "N", then turn on IR Point "R", and Laser "L", and turn the gain all the way down on the NVG and you can use it during the day.  The visible IR pointer works well in VR so you can precisely lase targets or drop smokes in VR.  All this must be done in the binocular view.

Edited by GSS Rain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also found out that some of it was fixed for vR. Did you get the aiming symbology working for the SAMs? And how was the behavior for the "toe break gas pedal"?
Pressed half was idle? And release of the toe brake pedal is a full braking vehicle , right?

I think I might have found a way via LUA file to assign gas and brake separately on the toe breaks. Like in a "real" car. But I dont have time to try it out in the next week unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 7:56 AM, GSS Rain said:

Just tried this again in VR (DCS 2.7.1.6430 Open Beta) and this has been fixed now. The head movement axis is now in sync. If you turn your head left, the view rotates left.  So ED has been making big improvements for Combined Arms in VR. It’s still a work in progress though. Jumping in the driver seats in a Hummer was amazing. Your VR head aligns with the drivers head and you see his body along with the passenger and top gunner. I assigned accelerator pedal to the rudder toe brake axis and steering to the rudder channel. Was having a blast driving. The gunner on top was completely usable.  I assigned the gun movement to the joystick axis.  So you can move the gun independently from your VR head. Just hit your center view hot key if you want to look down the barrel again. The overlays are positioned better but still work in progress. The scale was slightly off so the edges of the text was not visible but at least it is centered in respect to the VR view. Just couldn’t see info such as what gear you are in and the chassis orientation graphics was half cutoff. Binocular view needs work. Couldn’t get hot some hot keys to map such as laser. It works if you hit “L” but it wouldn’t work if I assigned it to joystick button press. But NVG on/off did work via joystick button map. The aiming axis in binoculars needs work. Shooting smoke is not aligned with center cross. The smokes hits somewhere between 2 and 3 ticks left of center cross. Also the center cross is way different location depending on which eye you are focusing on.  I also tried the Manpad and SA-19 a little but not much. Manpad I had to assign movement to the joystick trim hat and missile tube to joystick axis. That worked well. Tilted my head right a little then re-center view. That allowed for the guy to jog and not have the tube in your face as you run. It puts it more slightly to the right so you have enjoyable view of the terrain.   Small bug there was re-center view key aligns your view to the tube but it also turns the guy to face a certain compass direction. It didn’t center view on my current bearing. Over all though, it was a major improvement from just a few weeks ago when I tried this last.  Combined Arms is turning out to be awesome. 

Edit: Discovered that even during the daytime, you can use the NVG "N", then turn on IR Point "R", and Laser "L", and turn the gain all the way down on the NVG and you can use it during the day.  The visible IR pointer works well in VR so you can precisely lase targets or drop smokes in VR.  All this must be done in the binocular view.

Good to know, thanks👍

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 4:27 PM, darkman222 said:

I also found out that some of it was fixed for vR. Did you get the aiming symbology working for the SAMs? And how was the behavior for the "toe break gas pedal"?
Pressed half was idle? And release of the toe brake pedal is a full braking vehicle , right?

I think I might have found a way via LUA file to assign gas and brake separately on the toe breaks. Like in a "real" car. But I dont have time to try it out in the next week unfortunately.

I didn't use the SA-19 that much.  I had the radar on/off hot key mapped and I can see the sweep beam turning on and off.   Squeezed the trigger and fired a few rounds from the gun.  But didn't have target locking keys or weapon switching mapped.  Toe when unpressed is like applying the brakes.  Can't remember if 20% press gets you moving or not.  I think so.  I like that even though you are in the gunner's seat, you can still steer and move the vehicle with the driver's controls.  So I have toe brake axis and rudder axis mapped for movement and also Trim Hat buttons mapped as well for turn left/right and move forward/reverse.  Sometimes your ankle gets tired holding the gas down so I use the trim hat.  Also in a fire fight with AI insurgents swarming the Hummer, you need to run and gun at the same time so glad you can move the vehicle and shoot back too at the same time.  One issue I have is sometimes the vehicle starts moving forward without me pressing the gas or hitting the hat switch.  Not sure what is causing that.  So I mapped the hand brake to the HOTAS throttle airbrake button.  The side that is latching so I set the hand brake then I don't have the movement problem.  Then unset it when it's time to roll out.  I have Winwing HOTAS setup and Razer Tartarus Pro keypad.  Also have a wireless xbox gamepad controller and DCS recognizes that and will allow you to assign it as control inputs.  I have room behind the throttle to place the xbox controller when not in use but still debating if I want to assign any DCS keymaps to it. 

• 4 months later...

If ED is still monitoring this thread, they should know there are potential customers for this module if VR was supported. I tested the abrams recently in VR and I wasn’t able to use the sights of the gun. It was awesome to see friends coming in for gun run with A-10 though!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You can get it partly working from isometric / external view. You can get some of the aiming symbology back as long as you have control by mouse. As soon as you touch your primary control and the mouse control is disabled the symbology stops working.

I hope ED fixes that. CA is too much fun in VR.

• 1 month later...

I cant play until next year. So I cant test the update. But no VR fixes have been announced anyway.

The major issue was the aiming overlays if you also want to play in a vehicle. Just try to lock something up (enter key) and see if the aiming guide , the thing that shows the necessary lead actually does show lead in first person and in third person view. If the aiming cross is still glued to your heads movement, it has not been fixed (yet).

On 12/29/2021 at 3:02 AM, darkman222 said:

So I cant test the update.

I just hopped in this morning and it doesn't look like the sight reticle issue has been resolved. Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible as this is my first time in CA since... well before the new clouds), the reticle is still very misaligned from the bore. Which sucks. I've pretty much made the switch from 2d to VR and it's a pain to have to reset stuff to move back and forth between those modes. I guess I'll stick with Steel Beasts for now.

• ED Team

Currently VR is not supported in combined arms, but as many of you have noticed and mentioned above we have been making improvements, its something we know has potential but it will take time. 

thanks

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Currently VR is not supported in combined arms, but as many of you have noticed and mentioned above we have been making improvements, its something we know has potential but it will take time. 

thanks

any improvements welcomed.

im looking for ways to find easy DCS experiences for ppl that dont fly... and shooting is one of them! i am grateful for the support you gave to the huey... something like driving and shooting is probably fun easy, and accessible to causal gamers, especially related to VR!

thank you

5 hours ago, Wychmaster said:

Have fun 😁... You can set routes on the map and activate the autopilot. This way you can focus on shooting 😉

are you on discord? can you walk me through this?

i was preoccupied with building a joystick for the apache, didnt try combine arms yet, but i will tonight

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

i took a spin.

i like that driving is cool in VR. real cool. i wish there was multicrew for the vehicles.. i.e. driver slot, gunner slot.

as for the turret.

its hard to say, my door gun worked but i was awkward to use.

the huey doorgun has limited traverse limits which was perfect for my DIY controller

but the tank has 360 left and right rotation..

i dont know.. i have to research more on how tank controls are.

its not like tank operators use a mouse to slew the turret.

for the huey doorgunner, it straight forward,

only hope for improvements to combined arms. it has potential in VR!

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

vor 8 Stunden schrieb hannibal:

are you on discord? can you walk me through this?

i was preoccupied with building a joystick for the apache, didnt try combine arms yet, but i will tonight

I have a discord account but I don't use it much. I can give you a short walkthrough if you are interested. I recently "trained" some of my buddies in the art of tank driving so I think I can show you some basics. 😉

CA is a nice tool to lure in some friends who have no natural interest in flying. We did it with one of our friends. Baught him CA and the Persian Gulf map during a sale so that he could participate in our regular Mission... Then I thought that he can also play as my Gunner and pre-ordered the Apache for him. Another friend gave him an old joystick and some Pedals... He recently baught the F-18 and Supercarrier moduled on its own and seems to have fun... 😁

All because we got him hooked with the nice CA module 🚀

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2022 at 6:49 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Is there any known pipeline park for this?

• ED Team
46 minutes ago, Mashmallow said:

Is there any known pipeline park for this?

Hi, no news to share sorry.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It is pretty much playable in VR though. Of course your head is  sometimes stuck in certain parts of the vehicle geometry, which is due to the unrestricted head movement in VR compared to 2D.

The only thing that prevents it from VR being useable is that the pipper is just bound to the head movement instead of showing the calculated aiming lead like in 2D. "Locking targets" works good, showing a target designator box around.

I dont quite get it as this effort has been done, why the gun pipper is the only thing thats not working correctly. Otherwise it would be just fine for VR use. Feels like "almost there" to me.

Edited by darkman222

• ED Team
16 minutes ago, darkman222 said:

It is pretty much playable in VR though. Of course your head is  sometimes stuck in certain parts of the vehicle geometry, which is due to the unrestricted head movement in VR compared to 2D.

The only thing that prevents it from VR being useable is that the pipper is just bound to the head movement instead of showing the calculated aiming lead like in 2D. "Locking targets" works good, showing a target designator box around.

I dont quite get it as this effort has been done, why the gun pipper is the only thing thats not working correctly. Otherwise it would be just fine for VR use. Feels like "almost there" to me.

Thank you for the feedback, yes it is playable but it was never intended as a feature. Which is why we have added the disclaimer about VR not being supported

thanks