Tacca's NVG mod for 2.5+

Any chance you can add the zoom back in? Even if it displaces the cursor slightly.

Please only as an option. I love realism but having to interact with a mouse this is one aspect I don’t care for.

Hey team,

Will try to have it as an option, it used to be you could have a very slight zoom couldn't you?? Been a while for me :)

Very cool work. It would be nice if servers could set certain files to have several allowed hash checks so that we could use this mod on servers without issue.

That's something for DCS to deal with but very unlikely. As soon as you allow one shader file to be modified people can put code in their to help cheat. The whole point of integrity checks ensures everyone is on the same playing field.

Eg (if my shader skills were good enough, which they arent) I could add an effect that would put a small yellow circle where ever there is an aircraft (doesnt matter how far, or even set a range to help with vis) and it would come on whenever the NVG is turned on.

That's something for DCS to deal with but very unlikely. As soon as you allow one shader file to be modified people can put code in their to help cheat. The whole point of integrity checks ensures everyone is on the same playing field.

Eg (if my shader skills were good enough, which they arent) I could add an effect that would put a small yellow circle where ever there is an aircraft (doesnt matter how far, or even set a range to help with vis) and it would come on whenever the NVG is turned on.

See, the problem you describe already exists as an option; turning off the checksum. Since that already exists, it can't be what I'm talking about.

The key is that phrase "set certain files to have several allowed hash checks" in my post, which is why I included it.

Essentially, one file could pass the checksum if it had a hash value of x, y or z. x would be the vanilla file, while y and z would be the versions found in two approved mods. Trying to do your own mod to one of those files would change the hash value of the file, and thus would be blocked by the server.

Hell, ArmA has had a system like this for quite some time with their bikey files. When making a mod, a modmaker can make a personal key. Using that key, they can generate a special key file that with a hash value determined by the files in the mod. Servers can add keys for mods that are allowed, and should a file in the mod be modified without the key being regenerated, the hash check would fail in that mod and the server would reject it.

See, the problem you describe already exists as an option; turning off the checksum. Since that already exists, it can't be what I'm talking about.

The key is that phrase "set certain files to have several allowed hash checks" in my post, which is why I included it.

Essentially, one file could pass the checksum if it had a hash value of x, y or z. x would be the vanilla file, while y and z would be the versions found in two approved mods. Trying to do your own mod to one of those files would change the hash value of the file, and thus would be blocked by the server.

Hell, ArmA has had a system like this for quite some time with their bikey files. When making a mod, a modmaker can make a personal key. Using that key, they can generate a special key file that with a hash value determined by the files in the mod. Servers can add keys for mods that are allowed, and should a file in the mod be modified without the key being regenerated, the hash check would fail in that mod and the server would reject it.

Wow, yeah very cool, clearly I didnt read your post properly :helpsmilie:

would be really nice to have something like that available.

Have you ever contacted ED, ask them if they would like to implement something like this ?

Mate, you could slap my butt and call me sally if ED doesnt already have a much more accurate NVG shader as part of their private business (modules for corporate contracts rather than entertainment). It's hard to believe a company would pay big money of a A+ module and then have the current NVG....

Although the response I get is overwhelmingly positive from the community and most consider it a must have mod I have put out a feeler before and didn't get much back (actually no response).

Frenchy

Well I have decided to hold off any more development until 2.5 is released. The colour gamut and rendering is all over the shop in 2.2 and very different to 1.5 (the nvg is twice as effective in 1.5 compared to 2.2 with my code).

Overall the code has been updated, new user variables and noise pattern but I will wait to tweak the output when we have something more stable.

Screen_171218_220810.png

Screen_171218_220807.png

Screen_171218_220827.png

Screen_171218_220552.png

Screen_171218_220547.png

Frenchy :)

Edited by tacca
added images

• 4 weeks later...
Well I have decided to hold off any more development until 2.5 is released.

Frenchy :)

Thank you for your continued effort developing this.

And congrats on the great work so far :)

Proud owner of DCS: FC3, A-10C Warthog, F-14A/B Tomcat, F-5E Tiger, Mig21bis Fishbed, Mirage 2000C, Nevada Test Site, Normandy, Ka-50 Black Shark, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst, FW 190 D-9 Dora, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D Mustang Combined Arms, Hawk T.1A, L-39 Albatros, NS 430 Nav System, F-86F Sabre, MiG-15bis, AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL, F/A-18C Hornet, Yak-52 and the mighty AJS-37 Viggen! :music_whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
Now that 2.5 is out, I can't to wait start using this again once fixed!

haha, I'm starting work on it this evening, only got dcs 2.5 installed last night and haven't had a chance to try it. Also my coding apprentice (kitten) needs some extra training because at the moment he is the pro random keyboard presses.

Well its looking like I might not have to do much, ED has implemented an all new NVG. It blurs short distance items (simulating aperture) Has a better noise effect and doesnt just turn everything green (actually goes to white for brightest items. I must say it actually looks very similar to what I was working on. I need some feedback if people still want modifications otherwise I'm going to move on to other things.

tacca,

The new NVG does look really good, tbh. But what I'd really like is to have nods for only one eye in VR. Is that doable with ED's implementation?

No idea, I don't have VR and have no way of testing etc. Actually my R9 280 GPU is now just below the minimum specs :( (I can still play on low to medium settings at about 30-40fps so hanging in there).

• 3 weeks later...

Just letting everyone know I have started looking into custom sizing the NVG again and will be releasing a new working mod. I had a bunch on VR and multi monitor users message me about it but you will need to give me a week or 2 to get it done, a bit busy with family/work.

Hope this helps.

Frenchy

• 1 month later...

Sorry to those that have waited a bit more than a week or two, been pretty busy with work.

Here is a Tacca's NVG mod for DCS 2.5

Version 1.0.0

Only includes working option for NVG center and size (like old mod)

Does not include Black Ring

Cannot currently change colour, noise levels or contrast

Download here. OVGME ready :)

As per old mod, change settings in the following file \Tacca's NVG mod 1.0.0\Bazar\shaders\common\MOD_nvg.hlsl (use notepad ++)

Current ring size is at settings recommended by a current Blackhawk pilot who uses VR (mainly flies huey in DCS)

Regards

Edited by tacca
fixed details

It's great that you've updated the mod, but I have a couple of points of feedback:

- I fly in VR, and my NVGs show up as two unaligned circles. Is this intended?

- If the above is not intended, how can I correct this? I've looked in the settings file, but the comments say absolutely nothing about what the different function inputs mean, so I have to go in and out of DCS _and_ VR a lot to throw random numbers at it to see what happens...

- For this file to be truly OvGME ready, the inner folder name must be exactly the same as the zip-file, so maybe rename them both to just "Tacca's NVG mod"?

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's great that you've updated the mod, but I have a couple of points of feedback:

- I fly in VR, and my NVGs show up as two unaligned circles. Is this intended?

No, does the original DCS version show up as two unaligned circles? I dont have VR so its really hard for me to test. Can you take a screenshot of the VR output?

- If the above is not intended, how can I correct this? I've looked in the settings file, but the comments say absolutely nothing about what the different function inputs mean, so I have to go in and out of DCS _and_ VR a lot to throw random numbers at it to see what happens...

Cant be corrected based on current code. With regards to throwing "random numbers" at it how about you read the descriptions right next to the numbers, or the readme on the first page? Also as per the release comments the only functioning settings are ring size and center, nothing else is currently working. Numbers to the far right of the descriptions are just there as a guide for options.

//overall NVG postion and size
static const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.5f, 0.75f);  [color="Red"][b]// SETS CENTER POINT OF NVG EFFECT ON SCREEN [/b][/color]  		VR (0.5f, 0.75f)	Tacca (0.5f, 0.655f)
static const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.8f, 0.7f); [color="red"][b]// SETS X AND Y DIAMETER OF NVG (PERCENTAGE OF SCREEN)[/b][/color] 	VR(0.8f, 0.7f)		Tacca Circle (0.47f, 0.75f) Tacca Wide (0.83f, 0.98f)

//RING Sizing
static const float ROFade = 0.95f; 	//sets outside edge of full black ring						VR=0.95f	Tacca=0.85f
static const float RMerge = 0.85f;	// sets inside edge of full black ring						VR=0.85f	Tacca=0.75f
static const float RInner = 0.82f; 	// sets inside start of fade from NVG effec to black ring	VR=0.82f	Tacca=0.65f

- For this file to be truly OvGME ready, the inner folder name must be exactly the same as the zip-file, so maybe rename them both to just "Tacca's NVG mod"?

Thanks, will fix this for next release.

Tacca's NVG Mod 1.1.0

Version 1.1.0

Change log

Added black ring effect with adjustable thickness settings.

Fixed folder naming issue to be truly OVGME ready

Features

Includes working option for NVG center, size and ring dimensions (like old mod)

Cannot currently change colour, noise levels or contrast

Download here. OVGME ready :)

As per old mod, change settings in the following file \Tacca's NVG mod 1.1.0\Bazar\shaders\common\MOD_nvg.hlsl (recommend using notepad ++)

Current ring size is at settings recommended by a current Blackhawk pilot who uses VR (mainly flies huey in DCS)

Upcoming

ability to choose whole screen, basic or with ring NVG effect like old version

Regards