Overhead Break Landing

Steinsch

I'm continuing my video series of overhead break landings. I just completed what I think is a decent landing with the Mig-29, but it just occurred to me that the Russian break procedure might be somewhat different that standard Western ones.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

Nice job! Some thoughts on your question.

This is a bad habit that simulators teach.. and I'm sometimes guilty of it too. Simulators make us waaay to trusting of the landing gear actuators, that we never actually look and see that we have "three green" down and locked indicators. The gear never fails, and there's no consequence for a landing gear collapse. In your video I never saw the three green down/locked indication.

I believe Russian doctrine is to lower the landing gear before flaps. This is the written procedure (per DCS manuals) for MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, L-39C, Su-25T/Su-25A (gear mentioned before flaps), and the Tu-154B2 in FSX. In the Tu-154B2 you well hear the gear horn and red light flash on the panel if flaps are extended for landing before gear. None of the FC3 aircraft mention a landing procedure.. but I think there's a recognizable pattern here. :)

Edited by randomTOTEN

Thank you.

But after trying 50 times the same approach, no, I wasn't going to check if my gear down indicator was turned on. Anyway, experience in-game tells me the gear is down and locked 100% of the times I hear the mechanism. :)

IRL, USAF fighter pilots also lower the gear first. Once they confirm three greens, they drop flaps. They then check the flaps have not extended asymmetrically and if all is OK, consider the plane ready for landing.

Anyway, my initial question was more about the break maneuver itself, especially speed, altitude, spacing between flights, when to initiate break and final, aim point, etc.

Edited by Steinsch

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

Anyway, my initial question was more about the break maneuver itself, especially speed, altitude, spacing between flights, when to initiate break and final, aim point, etc.

Unfortunately, all I have is for a standard circuit which would, after the 4th turn (base leg turn), brings you in over the outer marker. It would be like the small sqaure approach and landing described in the DCS MiG-21 manual. Unfortunately, in FC3 aircraft, the transmitter turned in for the return and landing keeps shifting as you run through the square. Makes doing even that by the "numbers" impossible.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

On this video, we can at least see a Flanker breaking over the runway, but not much else in terms of pattern.

If you're referring to the first few seconds of that video, that's a go-around. He retracted his gear and climbed rather than completing the landing. So we don't even have the start of an overhead breaking pattern.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks. My research have not yielded anything conclusive either. How frustrating!

On this video, we can at least see a Flanker breaking over the runway, but not much else in terms of pattern.

The aircraft in the video looks like an Su-27UB dual seat trainer, so the student pilot is probably practicing approaches, hence the go-around.

IIRC don't the knee board approach plates show the circuits for the various airfields?

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.