Native voices or English voices for campaigns ?

S-GERAT

Native voices or English voices for campaigns ?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Native voices or English voices for campaigns ?

• Native languages (When possible ) and subtitles
    • English language and subtitles

Due the last dlc for black shark release, in which the voices are in English when should be in Abkhaz or at least in Russian ( Both languages are official in Abkhazia ) unlike the Ultimate Argument dlc for Su-27 which has excellent dialog in Russian I am a bit upset.

Before this we get the Mi-8 campaign which also have the voices in English, that's a big immersion breaker for me, because I like to feel like a Russian pilot, and the Russian pilots obviously talks Russian.

The fact that the Eagle dynamics are mostly based on Russia and Belsimtek from Belarus makes hard to understand those decisions, so I would like to make a poll to see if the most part of the users prefer to have the voices in English for avoid to read subtitles.

I'm from Spain and even I don't have any idea about Russian, I like how it sounds and I'm not afraid to read subtitles while playing, it adds a lot immersion to the gameplay, the same happen with German units or French talking in English ( Which in reality can be more usual in a joint operations with units from NATO ), but I don't like to hear an Fw-190 pilot talking in English..

So please, let here your opinions.. :thumbup:

PS : And sorry for my English :smartass:

Edited by S-GERAT

that's a big immersion breaker for me

For me it is the opposite. Not being able to understand what anyone is saying and having to pause the sim to read subtitles is an immersion breaker from my point of view. I guess there is no right answer to this question, therefore I would welcome a compromise 3rd option which would be having both native and english versions available so everyone can choose as they prefer. But I realize that this would cause additional workload and costs however I would be willing to pay more for a campaign with both options.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

For me it is the opposite. Not being able to understand what anyone is saying and having to pause the sim to read subtitles is an immersion breaker from my point of view. I guess there is not right answer to this question, therefore I would welcome a compromise 3rd option which would be having both native and english versions available so everyone can choose as they prefer. But I realize that this would cause additional workload and costs however I would be willing to pay more for a campaign with both options.

Yes.. I understand you, and I will pay a bit more in order to have both languages even I only use the natives..

I can understand the reasoning of the OP, but for me it works exactly the other way around. To immerse myself in a russian pilot, I must understand what I am doing and what I am hearing, for I believe russian pilots, like most pilots, know what they are doing. I love the eastern block hulls we can fly in this game but I cannot play them without their english cockpit mods for I do not know the difference between приборная скорость and высота над уровнем моря.

considering the votes are as they are now my guess it would just be best to give the players the option for either english narration or the original language.

Check my F-15C guide

If it's a non-free product officially released by ED, and it is geared towards the international market, than yes, English is a good choice:

Because English is so widely spoken, it has often been referred to as a "world language", the lingua franca of the modern era, and while it is not an official language in most countries, it is currently the language most often taught as a foreign language. It is, by international treaty, the official language for aeronautical and maritime communications. (Source: Wikipedia)

Off topic, but I would even suggest that ED and 3rd party developers would go so far as to always include an English cockpit into their releases that can be enabled by the player if they choose to do so, for aforementioned reason. One can always "pretend" to be flying the "export variant" of any such aircraft. ;)

As a non-native English speaker myself, I would appreciate this.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

If it's a non-free product officially released by ED, and it is geared towards the international market, than yes, English is a good choice:

Because English is so widely spoken, it has often been referred to as a "world language", the lingua franca of the modern era, and while it is not an official language in most countries, it is currently the language most often taught as a foreign language. It is, by international treaty, the official language for aeronautical and maritime communications. (Source: Wikipedia)

Off topic, but I would even suggest that ED and 3rd party developers would go so far as to always include an English cockpit into their releases that can be enabled by the player if they choose to do so, for aforementioned reason. One can always "pretend" to be flying the "export variant" of any such aircraft. ;)

As a non-native English speaker myself, I would appreciate this.

No agree here. This is a war simulation, not an international traffic controlled simulation. You can't dictate the English language in an aircraft that never have been produced with English cockpit.

I know is a matter of mission designer and not all people speak Russian. The best are missions with Russian voices and English text messages for the Russian aircrafts.

Any idea about a software to do that? example LOQUENDO

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I myself would prefer English.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Before we can think of English versus Native, they need to fix the horrid radio phraseology, the usage of meters even when set to Imperial units (feet and knots are aviation standard regardless) and get rid of QFE.

Edited by Nealius

I can understand the reasoning of the OP, but for me it works exactly the other way around. To immerse myself in a russian pilot, I must understand what I am doing and what I am hearing, for I believe russian pilots, like most pilots, know what they are doing. I love the eastern block hulls we can fly in this game but I cannot play them without their english cockpit mods for I do not know the difference between приборная скорость and высота над уровнем моря.

considering the votes are as they are now my guess it would just be best to give the players the option for either english narration or the original language.

Of course that English cockpits should be available since minute 0 for the non Russian speakers.. but that's a different things, with the voices you have subtitles in your language, but with the cockpits is totally different, because if you don't understand what a switch does, you can't fly the aircraft properly.

Before we can think of English versus Native, they need to fix the horrid radio phraseology, the usage of meters even when set to Imperial units (feet and knots are aviation standard regardless) and get rid of QFE.

With this happens the same than with the voices, is realistic that the Russian uses knots and feet ? No, it's not, but if it's an option to choose it should work.. but at least is very easy to make a fast and approximated conversion..

The No is winning the poll at this moment, but this is the English forum.. imagine what they are thinking about this topic.. :lol:

With this happens the same than with the voices, is realistic that the Russian uses knots and feet ? No, it's not, but if it's an option to choose it should work.. but at least is very easy to make a fast and approximated conversion..

It should at least be an option. Russia is just about the only country that uses odd aviation units like meters and kilometers, QFE and tors while everyone else uses feet, knots, and millibars. And we Americans get all the crap about being different ;) No excuse for using in.Hg, though lol.

Edited by Nealius

If I have to read subtitles to figure out what is going on, I won't be buying the product.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Native AND English (preferably with an acted native accent), selectable from Options menu. Absolutely nonsense that to play a game I have to understand russian, likewise it makes no sense that a russian guy must speak english to play this sim. Probably more than half of ED's market can speak english.

Edited by Tucano_uy

I voted for the Native Voice and Subtitles. Gives me a better feeling for which country im currently flying but if you choose to use the English voices I would say that there should be a Charakteristik dialect.

Se German english is a good example for because its not the yellow from the egg. :D

Holla, the Woodfairy!

Griffon26

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never parachute into an area you've just bombed

You never have too much fuel, unless you burn.

What might be nice although probably too much to implement, would be the choice of language so the individual would be able to choose their preference. Like flying the Ka-50, one could choose whether they want to hear English or Russian.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I definitely believe it is up to the mission designer, however I would prefer in English with Native accents. To me, I would rather understand what is going on without having to read the subtitles. There isn't any right or wrong here though, only preference. It's everybody's own experience.

I'm very biased towards having native languages, with english subtitles.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

Also take in count that some of you that are native English speakers are used to hear English all the time, so when in a movie for example you hear a Russian talking in English with Russian accent you assume it like something usual..

It happens the same for me when in a WW2 movie I hear the Germans talking Spanish emulating the accent I don't take it as something strange, but if I see the English version of that same movie it feels very strange, because I'm listening a foreign language and can't link it to the German that is another language.. Don't know if I'm explaining properly..

If something owns the Metro 2033 or last light game can experiment it easily.. simply put the Russian language with subtitles and later put and another unknown for you language like Spanish, and look how weird it feels..

And related to this I am going to tell a curiosity that happens with Spain and another country's with Spanish language.. When dubbing a English ( or whatever language ) movie to Spanish, the re are at least two versions of it, one for Spain, and another for the American country's, because even when the language is very similar both are using a lot of different words, expressions and accents, and even we can understand it perfectly, it feels so weird that in my case I prefer to see the original movie with subtitles than the another Spanish version..

I would like to see an option. Option to be able to choose in which language I will hear it and read it.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Yeah, having native and english voice-overs would be the best solution in my opinion.

Reading (especially without pausing) is not really an option, and I guess if I would be flying for the Russian airforce (or any other airforce for that matter) I would understand the radio, so simulating it with English would be fine.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled