Best training for realistic radios.

Cowboy10uk

Hi guys, now first off I want to apologise straight away for what I'm about to say.

I've been flying DCS since 2008 and I've always used simple radios. :doh:

Main reason is while I can do cold and dark startups, use weaponry, program stores and hell, I've even been known to do some air to aîr refuelling, the radios have always scared me, as some huge complicated thing, that I really have absolutely no clue on how to use.

So I've decided enough is enough, I need to conquer the beast. Now I'm sure I'm one of the few who use simple radios, so may I ask, what's the best way to learn these things, find out frequencies, and even know which radio is which. They all look the same to me?

Is there any radio instructions out there like Chucks guides or is it just a case of playing around and seeing if I can get them working.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I think the confusing thing about radios is how they're formatted in DCS. I rarely see UHF or VHF when I look at charts and briefings. Instead I see "xxx.xx Mhz" and it's left to the user to piece together what range is UHF, what range is VHF, and then where in that range the frequency lies.

Radios in DCS are really simple. You need to know:

1- There are 3 frequencies for radio. UHF, VHF-AM, VHF-FM.

2- Radios are also used for homing with ADF/NDB/VOR. Homing means using radio to find your direction and fly point to point basis. This minimises the need to use dead reckoning as long as you can receive a signal and your radio is working. Sometimes due to battle damage, enemy scrambling or weather,or line of sight blockage, radios suffer degraded performance. This can be easily seen if you are in a mountain and a tanker is many miles away but you hear them faintly.

UHF is ultrahigh frequency. This is used for flights with eachother. This is what pilots use to communicate together.

VHF-FM is used to either communicate with ground units (TAC) or other station and sometimes for homing (UH-1H).

VHF-AM is used for communicating with tower.

Depending on module, check in flight manual 3 things:

1- Homing capability

2- Radio capability

3- Frequency format

You can type in search field in adobe : "communication", "homing", "direction finding", "megahertz", etc... This will be like shaking hands with radios for first time in that plane.

Which plane or heli do you fly the most? So I can explain in context.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

UHF is ultrahigh frequency. This is used for flights with eachother. This is what pilots use to communicate together.

VHF-FM is used to either communicate with ground units (TAC) or other station and sometimes for homing (UH-1H).

VHF-AM is used for communicating with tower.

This is what has always messed me up. I've been told by real military pilots that UHF is used for tower and intraflight comms, while VHF is used for interflight comms.

Now I'm sure I'm one of the few who use simple radios, so may I ask, what's the best way to learn these things, find out frequencies, and even know which radio is which. They all look the same to me?

It depends on the aircraft, obviously. ;)

If we look at the A-10C for a moment, the 3 radios have entirely different frequency ranges, and these ranges do not overlap. So if someone says to tune in to 126 MHz, there's really only one radio that you could tune into that frequency.

Staying with the A-10C, all 3 radios are set to "MAN" by default, meaning that the frequency they transmit and receive is the one that is displayed on the frequency selection display.

Now the question is of course: What frequency do you need in order to contact X/Y/Z?

Airport freqs are built into DCS and can be obtained from the in-game F10 map, from the documentation that comes with DCS, and are possibly repeated in the mission briefings.

IMO, any other frequency should be documented within the mission. AWACS, Tanker, AFAC, JTAC, whoever... the mission briefing should list the frequency or the freq needs to be supplied during the mission (Like "Hawg 1-1, contact ground forces on 126 Alpha Mike").

Your job then is to tune the right radio to the right frequency.

The next big question is: Which radio do you receive on, and on which radio do you transmit?

Receiving is simple: In all DCS modules I know, you always receive on all radios (on the set frequency).

Transmitting depends on the aircraft. In the A-10C, there's a 3-position radio switch on the HOTAS that needs to be held down for transmitting (push to talk). The position determines the radio.

In the UH-1H, there's a dial that needs to be set, and then the PTT (Push-to-talk) key on the Cyclic stick transmits on that radio.

The same is true for the Ka-50, the Fw-190, the Bf-109, and possibly other modules: There's a dial for the radio to transmit on, and then the "Push-to-talk" key transmits on that radio.

But this aircraft can only set channels, not frequencies!

Some aircraft indeed only have a radio channel selector. Each channel is associated with a frequency, though. The link between channel and frequency can be set in the mission editor. Once again, every good mission should provide the channels needed in order to contact X/Y/Z (like "Tower is available on Channel 1. Once in the AO, contact AFAC on channel 7.").

All this probably sounds like a lot of dry theory, but here's the thing: Find someone with a bit of experience in this area, use TeamSpeak, use Aries radio and go online. (Setting up Aries requires a few steps so I really recommend you have someone talk you through it).

Using Aries with TeamSpeak in Multiplayer means that your A-10C radios work exactly (*) like in the real aircraft. If you're not tuned into the same frequency on the same radio, you can't talk to each other. However, if you're like 6 A-10Cs, you can split the flight into elements and have each element talk on their own, private frequency, e.g. on the FM radio, have a common frequency for the flight e.g. on the UHF radio and have different pilots monitor different AM frequencies so they can advise the rest of the flight of any important stuff. (This is just an example, of course).

In MP and with Aries, all of this radio stuff really starts to make sense IMO. :thumbup:

Now, for the other aircraft, the radios, frequency ranges etcetera may be different, but the basic rules apply: Select the correct freq or channel on the correct radio or you won't be able to communicate with certain units.

(*) Well, not really exactly like in the real aircraft, after all it's still a simulation, and effects like atmospheric distortion, line of sight and so on are all simulated based on algorithms, so it's an approximation. As such, it does a tremendously good job AFAICT, but TBH I've never operated a radio in my life, so others may give more valuable input in this regard. :)

This is what has always messed me up. I've been told by real military pilots that UHF is used for tower and intraflight comms, while VHF is used for interflight comms.

I have absolutely no RL experience there, but IIRC I read that DCS radio comms aren't 100% spot-on regarding the choice of radios.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 1

Ka-50 has only 2 radios, one that work as the previously described UHF and VHF-AM ( R-800L ), and another that work as VHF-FM ( R-828 ).

R-800L has a frequency dialer.

R-828 has preset channels (10, adjustable in the ME).

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

If we look at the A-10C for a moment, the 3 radios have entirely different frequency ranges, and these ranges do not overlap. So if someone says to tune in to 126 MHz, there's really only one radio that you could tune into that frequency.

This is where I take issue with the way many mission designers write their briefings. They make the player think "okay, so that's 126 MHz, which radio can go up that high?" when they should write VHF-AM, VHF-FM, or UHF in the briefing and save everyone a trip to the manual.

So dumb question on my part, what is " simple radios"?

I see a couple of things in the options menu on the Gameplay tab.

Radio Assists

Easy Communication

Currently in mine Easy Communication is checked and Radio Assists is not.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I believe simple radios generally means that freqencies are tuned automatically so the player doesn't have to.

Thanks Nealius,

I guess my question regarding simple radios, was which option in the settings actually chooses simple radio?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok got it, decided to do what I should have done to start and read the DCS User manual... apparently it is the Easy Communication selection.

Easy Communication. With Easy Communication on, the radios will automatically tune to the selected recipient's frequency. In addition, the radio menu will only display objects present in the mission and highlight those with whom contact is possible. With Easy Communication off, the player has to tune the correct radio set to the correct frequency for the desired contact and select the correct contact out of the full radio contacts menu.

Don B

Hi,

#### to late

DCS USER MANUAL - Gameplay Settings

Radio Assists

When enabled, you will get audio alerts informing you of incoming missiles, when you are within valid weapon use parameters, and information on the location of enemy units.

Easy Communication

With Easy Communication on, the radios will automatically tune to the selected recipient's frequency. In addition, the radio menu will only display objects present in the mission and highlight those with whom contact

is possible.

With Easy Communication off, the player has to tune the correct radio set to the correct frequency for the desired contact and select the correct contact out of the full radio contacts menu.

If you really want to have a real experience with radios, join a virtual wing like the 132nd or 476th or any of those out there, install ARIES or Universradio together with the teamspeask 3 plugin crosstalk and that, with human controllers, is as real as it gets if you ask me..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

If you really want to have a real experience with radios, join a virtual wing like the 132nd or 476th or any of those out there, install ARIES or Universradio together with the teamspeask 3 plugin crosstalk and that, with human controllers, is as real as it gets if you ask me..

Sounds like a lot of fun, I still have much to learn first, but maybe someday!

Thanks,

Don B

This is where I take issue with the way many mission designers write their briefings. They make the player think "okay, so that's 126 MHz, which radio can go up that high?" when they should write VHF-AM, VHF-FM, or UHF in the briefing and save everyone a trip to the manual.

Good point, I agree! :thumbup:

The neat thing about radio comms is that you can start before you know much. Real pilots aren't specifically taught radio phraseology, it's something they pick up through experience in flight training.

Yup, another good point.

I'm still relatively new to MP and still kind of struggle with brevity, but I've never been yelled at just because I didn't know a particular thing or phrased something the wrong way. Slowly getting there, though (I mean the brevity, not the getting yelled at :D). ;)

Besides, each group of people and each virtual squadron will have their own set of rules that can best be learned by flying together, so once a player knows how to tune a frequency I'd say the door to MP is wide open. :)

I thought you meant radio chatter lingo.

For radios I was also confused but it's actually really simple. The frequencies don't overlap. I don't remember the exact frequency range of each radio, its something like VHF 1 30.00-70.00 VHF 2 12x.xx-15x.xx and then whatever else doesn't fit in there is UHF. The part you need to remember is you can't put ex. 120.00 in VHF 1 or UHF (it will make a noise) so if you're told to go to 120.00 you know it's VHF 2. I think the radios are always right beside each other.

EDIT: I forgot it's not called VHF 1 and 2 its AM and FM but it doesn't really matter you don't need to remember which one is which.

Edited by Dappman

Thanks for the replys guys, gives me something to start on at least. :) sorry it's taken me a few hours to reply, was rather hectic at work today, and didn't get a chance to log on.

Cowboy10uk

P.S. @ WildBillKelso, I primarily fly the UH1 and MI8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh: