[RESOLVED] INS: Can be aligned in the air

ZHeN

I remember two years ago when INS was only introduced, it was such a big deal for any baguette pilot, we've learned to handle it! We've learned different alignment stages, memory alignment after each refueling/rearming... all felt so sophisticated and complete

and now...

it all smashed against a big brick wall of INS aligning in the air:

Edited by ZHeN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

a little more research on the topic

after I landed, rearmed, refueled with this aligned-airborne INS, my WP00 coordinates were completely off, so the range to my other waypoints was wrong

but it all came back to normal after I entered my proper WP00 coordinates

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Confirm, INU arret until airborne. Completed full alignment with default coordinates and simply edited 00 to current while airborne. It was indistinguishable from a proper ground alignment.

Alignment must fail if during alignment:

• Velocity significantly non zero
  • Displacement significant
  • Rotation significant
  • Latitude significantly different than actual

The solution won't converge and an error should occur.

• 5 weeks later...

That's a pretty severe issue IMHO. Has this been acknowledged by the devs? Can't see it on the public bug tracker and it's been a months since it got reported...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you, I will have a look with the testers

Awesome, thanks! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Regarding INS alignment.

In the Red Flag campaign by Baltic Dragon, if Auto Align is selected from main DCS menu, all waypoints are offset by 30 miles.

Manual INS alignment, during start up, is fine.

Not so much of an issue in Red Flag since most players want to do it the correct way!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

• 2 months later...

I'm new to the M2K and having a terrible time trying to align the INS.

I have followed instructions in the "training" section a dozen times also watched several

you tube tutorials as well as printed out the relevant section of the guide but I just

cannot get the align light to flash.

Is there a problem with it currently or am I just thick?

I have spent hours trying to get past this point.

Any help appreciated

Ibis

Edited by Ibis
TYPO

Check the options and make sure that "INS does not require alignment" is not enabled.

Battery switch ON

INS Mode Selector to "ALN" and you should see the light flash.

Assuming that's working, turn mode selector to "VEI" and enter your coordinates and altitude as described in the instructional materials.

Once your own position is entered, turn mode selector to "ALN" and press the "VAL" key below the PCN's number pad keyboard.

Check the options and make sure that "INS does not require alignment" is not enabled.

Thank you, thank you :doh: I looked in the controls and options but not thoroughly it seems.

Again thank you, I was about to book myself in for some mental therapy. :thumbup:

cheers

Ibis

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump.

Status update on this issue? It has been reported back in 2018...

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So the M2000C is one of the very few modern DCS jets that don't have an "IFA" switch/position in the cockpit?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• 2 months later...
  • RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [RESOLVED] INS: Can be aligned in the air